Ausmus is building a stronger team

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by nvargas, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Ausmus is building a stronger team
    nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Yeah...what happened to all that offseason talk? Once again, hype with nothing to show for it.

1. Dedich was getting tossed around by Tonga, was sad to see. Somehow, Whittingham at Utah figured out a way to neutralize that to the tune of 30-12.
    2. Our LB's continue to be innefective and unable to take it to the offense.
    3. Our Safeties aren't what we need them to be, Pola Mao in particular is weak (can't bring down a ball carrier), and Hufunga seemed more dynamic last season.
    4. Our DL's are running around on skates, falling down, gassed
    5. No pass-rush could be found. Is strength a factor?

Grifiths isn't going to flip the field every punt, or pin the offense down on the 5 yd line with his wizard-like spin. His weird rotational punts aren't going to induce fumbles.

Ausmus didn't transform the team into much more than last year. Perhaps some players bought-in and made gains, but I don't see any noticeable improvements from last season as it relates to performance.

I applaud Ausmus if he's giving it his all and doing his best; offseason hype is fatiguing. We are our record and Stanford sucked.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019

2. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 16, 2019
    To those with Facebook you remember when the USC Trojans Facebook page was promoting off season of players flexing their biceps and saying there was a culture change?

Kaptain Karl and ConquerorSC like this.
  3. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Coaching staff is building a weaker team.

4. Moose4usc

Moose4usc Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    1. Dedich was getting tossed around by Tonga, was sad to see. Somehow, Whittingham at Utah figured out a way to neutralize that to the tune of 30-12.
    2. Our LB's continue to be innefective and unable to take it to the offense.
    3. Our Safeties aren't what we need them to be, Pola Mao in particular is weak (can't bring down a ball carrier), and Hufunga seemed more dynamic last season.
    4. Our DL's are running around on skates, falling down, gassed
    5. No pass-rush could be found. Is strength a factor?

Grifiths isn't going to flip the field every punt, or pin the offense down on the 5 yd line with his wizard-like spin. His weird rotational punts aren't going to induce fumbles.

1. wasn't that Neilon?
    2. yes, very disappointing. still expecting big things from IE, but this just isn't the right spot for him.
    3. that dropped interception by Pollard was hard to watch--couldn't be a much easier interception for a DB.
    4. i sure hope that was the altitude or it is going to be a LONG season
    5. like someone else said, no stunts or switches. just our guys getting beat play after play after play.

I was wondering the same thing about Griffiths--I thought his punts were supposed to be almost uncatchable with the spin. And about 30 yards longer.

SC93er and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. Arthur Jury

Arthur Jury Points Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Re. Ausmus is building a stronger team.

Boy I sure don't see it yet. They were gassed in Provo, should have got there earlier to acclimate to the high altitude. Well maybe they are "stronger" than last year but that's not saying much, not relatively strong versus say, an Alabama, like we used to be... Even so, 'stronger' doesn't help out of position and poorly coached issues...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Troy70 and J4SC75 like this.
  6. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Oh stop, this is getting to the absurd level. Ausmus has done a great job, there are bigger fish to fry.

7. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Let me ask you this.......would the players have done any better if Ausmus hadn't been working the team's butts off in the off-season? I highly doubt an Ivan Lewis trained team even makes it a game this past weekend. This is all on coaching and execution. To assume it's because of conditioning is absurd. The team's conditioning didn't throw 3 INT's or cause missed tackles/sacks.

Trojan Man 30 and DaFireMedic like this.
  8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    This is it right here. Coaching and execution.

Neilon did get thrown around by an NG that was much bigger than him, but that wasn’t a conditioning issue. This is one of those cases where the coaches needed to get him some help. Sean Cody said that several times during the game. Neilon is a big, strong guy, but there’s always someone bigger and stronger, and that was Tonga.

9. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I generally agree with everything you posted... but did Dedich even play? Neilon has been getting virtually all the snaps at center. In the iso's I saw, it was him being thrown around like a rag doll.

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Should have flown up Thursday, didn’t Pete travel Thursday?

11. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Sep 16, 2019
    How can we forget. A few of us critiques the hype videos as just that, nothing but hype. I for one called the videos out and the people who were guzzling the Kool Aid.

BeatND2019 likes this.
  12. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Another thread started assigning blame to someone other than the head coach. SMH.

It's the head coach stupid!!!! It begins and ends with him. Why are you blaming the strength and conditioning coach that was hired in the spring? The only way he could have converted this team was to personally inject all of them with steroids.

You need stability in a program and a winning culture, USC hasn't had that since CPC. Just look at the successful programs and you will see what needs to be done.

13. 2blkk

2blkk Junior Member

Sep 16, 2019

Just my perspective. The center is a first year starter.
    I like the direction A.A is taking the team. Swarzzeneger was not muscle man over night. I think A.A is 1 year away from been effective with his program

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  14. Aztrojan

Aztrojan Junior Member

Sep 17, 2019
    It’s only been 1 off season, the team does look stronger and more like football players in his 1st off season physically....however, when you play 2 hand touch in camp and preseason the killer mentality will never show up. When in practice you get off the line....hold your ground... and “catch” the ball carrier to stay off the ground....... what aggressive instincts can you develop.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  15. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 17, 2019
    Admittedly, the OP was confusing on who it was upset with. Not upset with AA, the dude is doing his thing and at least is making an effort on things he can control.

Honestly, based on game performance, the players don't seem stronger. Naturally stronger with 1 more year in the weight room and filling out a little based on being a year older, but we're not the bullies of the mid-2000's, we're not pushing Mt. West teams around or winning games based on looks as we walk off the bus. None of what we used to have back in the day.

Yes, it's only been 1 offseason with AA, but then why all the puff-pieces from various sources on how we were going to see big improvements and were going to be different than last season? Helton himself was pushing this angle. Whether it was the lifting and gains, the Aussie punter, the simplified offense/defense...all a bunch of crap.

My point being, enough of the propaganda, time to prove it on the field. Enough with how the AR is going to be so simple and how the defense was going to be simplified to allow the defense to just make plays - it hasn't happened.

Enough bullshit.

There are bigger fish to fry, this is the least of our problems...this is part of the problem, this is the problem...we're being fed the same crap but in a different wrapper.

Cyrus and ConquerorSC like this.
  16. SC87

SC87 Active Member

Sep 17, 2019
    I've heard losses by California teams blamed on the cold but never the heat. The poor Rams used to play the Vikes in the great white north during the playoffs when they had an outdoor stadium. They looked like the Germans at Stalingrad. But it was too hot for our guys in Utah? Whew.

17. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Sep 17, 2019
    We are building a team on the rise, to mediocrity

18. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Sep 17, 2019
    Stronger means nothing if you are not using it wisely.

"You can run trough a brick wall then discover it was the wrong one"

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  19. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 17, 2019
    I'm arguing we're not even stronger to run through a wall. Our tacklers can't bring down a runner w/out allowing 3-4 yds after contact. Our guys are not knocking the other team, they're not scared of us.

Rey-Rey wasn't necessarily a "technique" savant, but at 6'3" 260 lbs and hair on fire, he was going to knock you back! Who on our team does this? There's no explosiveness, no fear, no intimidation. We're basically conceding we're at Fresno St./BYU's level.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  20. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 17, 2019
    Rey was a good tackler, was fast and explosive for his size, had a nose for the ball and could pursue like few linebackers could. That and he could probably have carried his car to the stadium.

I thought EA would be like this, but I think this more coaching than physical strength.