As of today: USC ranked #62 in recruiting with no top 200 player committed

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by Cardinal&Gold, Sep 24, 2019.

1. As of today: USC ranked #62 in recruiting with no top 200 player committed
    Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

They do not have a commitment from a single player in the top 200?

Their best shot at getting a player on this list seems to be:
    Gary Bryant Jr #82
    LV Buckley Shelton #194

These are the Pac 12 teams ranked ahead of them:
    Oregon
    Washington
    Stanford
    Cal
    ASU
    Colorado
    Washington State

USC is behind teams like Louisiana State and UCF? Remember when a top 10 class every year was a sure thing?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    trojanworld and travyav like this.

2. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Breathe.... it’s still early in the process....

3. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Not that early. The last 2 years most of the top ranked players signed during the early Dec 20 signing period. Many came off the table right away. There will be a handful of guys like Flowe who may hold out but none that USC leads for that I'm aware of. Last year Clay Helton scrambled to fill the roster at the 11th hr just looking for DB's. Eventually losing one DB a JC transfer and an OT to academic issues. He then rushed to try and get JC guys to fill the class. Its looking like that's where its heading again.

https://www.pnj.com/story/sports/2018/07/29/ncaa-early-signing-period-football-has-altered-landscape-teams/855687002/

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Kaptain Karl, yah20002, OC2SC and 2 others like this.
  4. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 25, 2019
    Hope we get Bryant. That kid can ball

5. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Embarrassing!!!
    Yeah it's early but it hasn't been this bad in a long time. If not ever. How many of the top 10 in state are looking at USC? How about the top 20? I'm not talking committed, just in the hunt.

OC2SC likes this.
  6. ThorinHB

ThorinHB Junior Member

Sep 28, 2019
    This won’t change until Helton leaves . He and his staff have lost confidence with high school athletes and coaches - ship has sailed

7. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Sep 28, 2019
    I was going to write about this also. I haven't been following recruiting as closely as I used to, life and success of this team being the major reasons, but I was shocked when I saw where we were ranked at this point in the season.

With an early signing period, being this far back at this point in the season is a huge concern. I know that the talented west coast guys tend to sign later, but it doesn't appear that we are even on their radar at this point.

If you can't win consistently at USC and you can recruit a top ten class every year at USC, you gotta go!!!!

8. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Yes LSU recruits well and UCF is an up and coming program, but USC is way, way behind South Carolina, Kentucky, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, and Kansas at this point and we are behind powerhouses Tulane, Boston College, Louisiana TECH, East Carolina, and Memphis also!!!!!!

If Helton can't recruit a top 15 class and doesn't win the conference, he's gotta go. He is not a good enough coach to win at this level without superior talent and we can't have the cupboard bare for the next head coach.

9. swabie2424

swabie2424 Junior Member

Sep 28, 2019
    I’ve kept my mouth shut on these boards for the most part this year. Just watching and waiting. But if anyone recalls, I started a thread in the recruiting section a while back about “Getting the Hay in the Barn.” Not a panic thread. Not a “I’m worried about our recruiting ranking” thread. But thoughts about how USC has been flirting with big problems with the passive, “let it happen” recruiting mentality the past few years and how/why we we needed to change recruiting tactics this year.

We’re not good enough to count on a sunny day on signing day #2 any more. This will be the year it comes to roost. It didn’t take a genius to see this coming (I’m a half moron and I figured it out. Lol). The writing was on the wall. The Bryce Young news was a sledgehammer. We have no bell cow to hang our recruiting hat on. Helton got bailed out by the Steele/McCoy flippy floppy last year. It was like we caught a recruiting Hail Mary to remove some sting from last year’s recruiting. slide.

As others said, we can’t even recruit California right now. That is SHAMEFUL. SHAAAAAAMEFUL! My dead grandmother could recruit SoCal if she was disinterred and made USC head coach. But hey, “Faith, family and football” to the end. It’ll all be okay.

The worm is gonna gonna turn on this season starting in an hour most likely. If/when we take back-to-back beatings by UW and ND and are 3-3 and once again 100% unranked and nationally irrelevant, this board - like our recruiting- will be a morgue. Let’s hope we can avoid the abyss with a shocker today against UW... and we somehow find a way to wiggle out the P12 South. Winning cures all ills. But I feel we’re all about to get the flu.

10. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Is there going to be a big shortage at WR next year too?

11. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Someone come and remind me to post here after the LSP is over.

A lot can change/happen until then, we win the division/conference, a Rose Bowl berth and the recruits will come
    — OR —
    We bottom out, HCCH is fired, we hire an elite name (Meyer seems to be a popular favorite) and the recruits immediately come because of the USC name and the Meyer clout.

Either one can happen and both will have us jump practically ever PAC-12 program on that list except possibly Oregon.