Amazon pushes for federal $15 minimum wage

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by DaFireMedic, Feb 26, 2021.

1. The Mayor of Leah

The Mayor of Leah Points Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Velcro straps.

I do not have the ignoramus, Ennie X. Bartner on ignore but I do ignore his half witted, indolent verbicide.

If you were to gain access to the site poster registration files, you might discover that this drunken, free loading sociopath would be the owner of an entire fleet of leftist mouth breathers.

Norte dame.

DJ4SC, SCBIGTIME and FIGHTONSC like this.
  2. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Reminding one of the story about two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

DJ4SC, SCBIGTIME, FIGHTONSC and 2 others like this.
  3. SLCTrojan

SLCTrojan Junior Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Part of why we have a Republic and not a Democracy (aside from sheer feasibility) is to minimize the tyranny of the majority.

In application, this is particularly to avoid government buying off votes with other people's money. Which, as it happens, is exactly what this situation is.

-SLC

4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    AOC says that the minimum wage should be $24 per hour, which shows a complete disconnect regarding the minimum wage and it’s effects on the economy, unemployment, and inflation.

She also said that the vast majority of workers in the US do not make a “living wage”. This is false to start with in that the average hourly wage of full time employees in the US is $21, and 62% of all workers, both full and part time make more than $16 per hour. Of course, there are many factors that go into the cost of living, so a dollar figure in one place doesn’t constitute a living wage in other places, but her “facts” are questionable at best.

Her statement also doesn’t reflect the fact that many jobs, such as fast food, gas stations, convenience stores, etc, are not career type jobs and were never meant to provide a “living wage” for a single person much less a family. In fact, they cannot do so in most cases and still allow the business to stay open.

AOC and the other radical Dems need to try a little harder to avoid going off of emotions and try to look a little closer at the facts and probable consequences involved.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    SCBIGTIME likes this.
  5. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021

Yet they will be career type jobs for all the illegals that are coming.
    Leftist don't care about anything adding up and the "living wage" farce is just that. People need to learn how to live within their means. That's what a true "living wage" really is.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  6. Block

Block Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    She said based on inflation and productivity increases since 1980 (when wages decoupled from productivity) it should be that. Much more nuanced.

7. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    These are the jobs that they claim “Americans won’t do”, because they were low paying and weren’t meant to be careers.

I wonder how many of these will be paid “under the table” to avoid the minimum wage along with the taxes and other employer costs, while the competition struggles to remain afloat by doing business legally.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  8. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    It still doesn’t reflect the effects such a minimum wage would have on businesses that do not have a large profit margin, especially with so many struggling from the pandemic response.

There is also inflation to consider. I have to wonder how much a McDonalds hamburger would cost if they had to pay the kids working the counter $24 per hour. And what affect would the price increase have on their sales?

There are just so many things to consider in this issue that seem to be missed or disregarded.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  9. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021

I remember not too long ago they said that about farm picking jobs.

That's the rub. They work off the books and then they also can receive WIC.
    These shits should just go back home and be a sponge off their own government.

10. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    In the case of McDonald's they are aggressively finding ways to reduce the # of people it takes to run a restuarant.
    In some locations outside the U.S., e.g Australia, there are many restaurants where your only choice is to order food at a kiosk. There is no counter.

11. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Nothing subtle about it. The woman is a total idiot.

TheRealAirbns, DJ4SC and SCBIGTIME like this.
  12. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    Of course I used McDonalds as the typical example of a fast food restaurant, but what about the local burger or pizza joint that can’t automate as readily as McDonalds?

Amazon is automating out a large portion of their lower paying jobs, another reason why they suddenly decided to push for a $15 federal minimum wage. They know that brick and mortar stores like Walmart and Best Buy can’t automate to that extent and will have to raise prices to compensate, giving an even bigger sales advantage to Amazon.

DJ4SC likes this.
  13. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Like I said, why not free market fireman, I think we can do $8

14. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    We should, but be truthful to the applicants. Tell them that they will have to go to school full time for at least 2 years before they can start getting paid, then tell them that they will be working 56 hr work weeks and getting up 2-4 times a night each shift.

Also tell them that with their paramedic license, they can work at the private ambulance company or as a hospital ER Tech instead for $18 per hour.

Let’s see how many people you get in your $8 per hour “free market”.

15. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Just curious...why are you so supportive of a measure that locks out less-skilled, and often minority applicants--from entering the workforce? That's what a high minimum wage does, you know. Either the job is lost because it isn't worth $45K/year (after $15, taxes & benefits), or at that wage, you get higher-qualified applicants. Other than closing schools and shutting the economy, I can't imagine anything that caused more inequality than that.

16. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    You said it Paramedics who did spend two years in college make $18, if they are lucky, So why do we pay firemen $200k a year.

17. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Because as a public employee union, they own the local officials who determine their salaries.

TheRealAirbns likes this.
  18. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Ah, we have finally found it: Jobs that citizens wouldn't do. ^

_______

^ As Punk would say in the corner of an Oliphant cartoon, holding a little lantern, "I know how Diogenes felt."

TheRealAirbns and DaFireMedic like this.
  19. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    you are correct. First step destroy the unions, second step end the minimum wage. Do you see why Amazon workers will vote to unionize, without a union they will get screwed.

20. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    We don’t, at least not as a base salary.

The $20 per hour Firefighter/Paramedics (yes, that’s the rate for the FF rank) at my department go through the same 2 year or so process to get their paramedic license as the private ambulance PM’s do, plus their fire academy, fire tech classes, and specialized training (confined space, hazmat, technical rescue, etc. )

None at my department have ever made 200k per year, but I’ll let you figure out just how many hours they would have to work in a year to do that.