AD said crowd at Coli is a factor in a HC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Nov 11, 2019.

1. AD said crowd at Coli is a factor in a HC
    Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Glad to hear that. Our HC has made going to the Coli painful. Not just being there but trying to get others to go. Old classmates & family have given up on ourHC. Think he sees Clay is the negative factor in attendance. I pray a new HC means I don’t have to do a sales job trying to get others to go to what was the hottest ticket in town when Pete was here.

2. pgoodman

pgoodman Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    He is laying the foundation for letting Helton go. However as several people have stated it has to be quick to save recruiting. In my opinion the worst thing Helton has done is player development. We have amazing talent at the skill position and I am not sure about our lineman cause they seem to not improve once they get here. I am not sure USC can afford not to have a home run hire. When the product on the field is great the Coli is full and playing prime time TV games and big bowl games allow USC to more than make up for the revenue spent on the home run hire

3. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Nov 12, 2019
    Whoa big fellas! If Helton is fired Urban may not even come to USC. Has anyone considered that at least for the first season the replacement, even if it's UM in his first season will not be a magic wand? I think the home opener will have very healthy attendance. As usual it will come down to performance. Has anyone considered the possibility of Chip like growing pains? Will the fans still show up if we start 0-2 or even 0-3? Realistically, even with a fresh HC face does anyone anticipate a win over Alabama? That would be great, but the odds will be against it. How patient will fans be if next season does not begin with the hyped magic when it comes to showing up to watch home games? Several posters on this board feel making the Rose Bowl is not good enough and we should be in the playoffs right away. Realistically in 2020 I believe fans should be prepared we may not make it to Pasadena on January 1st. I hope we win the NC but for next season I'm not holding my breath.

4. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    You don't have to hold your breath. Helton is gone. Next year will be a rebuilding year from the damage he's caused. Even UM will have to weed out the week, install his system and expectations, get the recruits he needs, and most importantly teach disapline to the players. When he or any other true HC does these things you will start to see player development, winning, and championships.

5. oc trojan

oc trojan Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    I remember going Into a predominately USC restaurant bar called mijares in Pasadena during the 1990s. I offered 50 yard line seats that were mine for free I even told the bartender to let anyone know they could have the tickets for free. I sat there drinking for four hours And a nobody took the ticket. Kind of like what is happening today.

6. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    If the new coach is competent, especially if it is Meyer, he will be given a grace period, just like every new coach. Meyer might be under pressure to succeed sooner, but most of us want Helton gone so bad that even if they offer it to the janitor, I would be escatic. The coach has got to go. And I was once one of his most ardent supporters, by the way.

SC93er, BESCFAN, uscjrl98 and 3 others like this.
  7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    The AD also made a big deal about recruiting. I am sure he put those comments in because he sees what our recruiting class currently sits. Gives him another reason to release should Helton luck out the rest of the season. If he does, and our recruiting class still is horrible, Helton is gone.... I personally think he is gone anways.

8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    I can’t see expecting an NC, or even being competing for an NC next season regardless of who we hire. As GoSC1 said, there will be a grace period. As much as fans want instant success, you have to give the coach at least a little bit of time to build his team.

It always amazes me when I see someone taking a perennial doormat and turning it into a undefeated top ten team, yet he is criticized for taking 3 seasons to do it.

There are no miracle workers in the coaching business, only good HC’s who know how to build teams and win. Urban Meyer has a history of quick success, but that doesn’t guarantee it will happen here. However, he is the best chance out there for a fast turnaround. It’s true that he may not come here, but there are other good HC’s to pursue as well.

Regardless, it’s become clear that leaving things as they are is not the answer. If after 4 years, we are still showing no signs of competing for a spot in the CFP but are instead regressing, we need to make the change. And it needs to be done soon in this case.

9. 1988Trojan

1988Trojan Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    Urbie is a master of creating an unbelievable football cultural ... he will have SC thriving in no time with SC type looking players and results !

10. BigBen

BigBen Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    I don’t think we would beat Bama with Urban, but we would definitely compete. It won’t be a 52-6 which is what will happen again if we still have Clay.

11. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    Announce average attendance this year so far is 60279.67. This is not including the last home game, UCLA which has historically been a sell out so that could increase the average attendance up even further. Last year's announce average attendance per game was 55,565. This year's attendance does't sound as bad as people make it out to be.

12. Coto Trojan 43

Coto Trojan 43 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    What is really telling is how much of the crowd is left in the 4th quarter.

13. USCAlumFightOn

Nov 12, 2019
    If they only care about selling tickets to make money then does it matter if they leave in the first quarter or fourth quarter if the seat is already paid for? LA fans are notoriously for leaving early. People were leaving the Utah game early when it was still in doubt.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  14. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    Hey idiot, what do you think is going to happen if Helton isn’t fired immediately? Even if it’s not Urban Meyer it will mean change and potential to turn the program around quickly. If AD Bohn follows the bullshit you are spewing, this years recruiting will be very subpar and put the program several years behind and yes, the program will look like what Chip Kelly is dealing with. You need to pull your head out of your ass and quit demonstrating constantly that you are not a USC supporter....

15. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    I think it will be more of a system implementation than a rebuilding next season. Don't forget there are lots of young stars like Slovis, Amon Ra, Stepp, Christon (who played great at ASU save the fumble), London, Drake Jackson, Hufanga, EA, Pola Mao, McGrath, and Vera-Tucker. There are several more who have shown potential including Rodriguez, Winston, Dedich, Echols and several young DBs. There are a few who may stay if we get the right coach, like Tufele and Marlon T. I agree that the team and many of the players will need to be coached up, the offensive line will have some new starters and Pittman will be gone, but the cupboard is far from bare.

KeepCalm&FightOn and CP619 like this.
  16. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    Because people consume and buy things at the game.

17. USCAlumFightOn

Nov 12, 2019
    If they left in the fourth quarter then they still could have bought stuff since most buy things when they first enter or at halftime.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  18. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Nov 12, 2019
    He also mentioned the importance of recruiting and winning. He’s hinting of Heltons departure and new era will begin soon!

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  19. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    I heard this morning that USC now is No. 77 in recruiting nationally and 11 in Pac 12. This is a total disgrace for a proud football program. If the University waits and does not end the USC football current misery as soon as possible the damage in recruiting will last for years to come. That means years and years of team mediocrity and lack of revenue for the University. They have to make a move quickly, otherwise the first week of December is around the corner.

Hockey10 and Rodgarnay51 like this.