5 Tide players test CV

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jun 4, 2020.

1. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    ALL athletes, not just football, are involved but they will be sequestered and if positive, quarantined. Their contacts will be severely limited.

This is so wildly inaccurate. The hair salon in Missouri had 2 stylists who tested positive and some 150 were EXPOSED. However, as of a few days ago, 42 clients had tested negative. So nearly 1/3 do not have covid.

It is a fact that in Alabama ZERO people under the age of 25 have died from this. Football players are likely to be far healthier than the general public. Perhaps offensive lineman might be concerned as some appear to be overweight, not just "big". But your thinking is exactly what caused unnecessary public panic.

It's up to the coaches if they prefer to take that risk. Masks are not for protecting someone from getting it, rather from someone giving it. A coach wearing a mask as some sort of self-protective shield is not realistic.

Just over 40% of those 100k are from nursing homes. They aren't going to college football games or practices. Back out the percent of those with underlying conditions which is 90% (low side), and what you have left is very much flu mortality rates.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  2. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Each state's public health department requires positive tests to be reported to their county health department for contact tracing and tracking purposes. They will not release personal health information. So it's a yes and no answer.

I asked the type of test because I thought they may have had that information in the article. They can release what tests they used as long as there is no personally identifiable health information released. That's not a violation of HIPAA.

3. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    I do not believe is about the players dying....is about their families....got to be few grampas, grammoms around.....just sayin

nvargas likes this.
  4. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    FIFY

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Since when do they have time to hang out with the grandparents? And if they're tested weekly, at least they'd know whether it's ok or not.

6. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    If they test positive on Friday, but were infected on Monday?

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    At this point, people should still be social distancing with elderly relatives. It's irresponsible otherwise unless both sides agree that they understand the risk. It's time to stop with the "grandma is gonna die" trope. We've had several months now to understand where the risks are so I find it highly unlikely that these players are hanging out with G&G. And certainly once they report to camp, they should be prepared for familial distancing for quite awhile.

TrojanHorse and gubo&palanka like this.
  8. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    I also think it's time to stop the "it's just G&G or folks in nursing homes" that are at risk. It could be the AD, could be the school prez or a professor. Sure, all those that choose to go out into the world know the risks, but that doesn't mean we need to up the probabilities.

Hey, by the way Veebs, what did you think of the Fromm story? Do you think it's the mob trolling through old stories/texts searching for victims, or a legit outing of someone that needs to explain what they said and explain how they feel differently now?

I wouldn't call what he texted as hate speech, but would it be implicit when you suggest superiority...someone must be inferior?

On that note, came across a similar story from Oregon St., thoughts?

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2020/06/oregon-state-freshman-booted-from-football-team-after-racially-charged-audio-tape-appears-on-social-media.html

Should age play a factor, should all transgressions under a certain age be given a pass? I'd say yes, w/in reason...but the line's gotta be drawn somewhere?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  9. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    What are you Trying to say? They shouldn’t go if they’ve tested positive, only negative. And right afterward, obviously.

But Veebs is right, better to zoom them rather than going in person for the time being.

10. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Worse, if Kedon is sick, the entire QB room probably has it. So we're back to CCH calling plays with, what, Tyler Vaughn at QB?

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Nobody said they were the only ones at risk. However, over 40% of all covid deaths are from nursing homes, that's a fact. Others who are high risk, know it, and should make decisions in their own best interest. There is no reason an AD, President, or prof needs to get closer than 6' to any athlete. Profs can easily distance from students in a classroom and I am certain that those profs with a preexisting condition will be allowed to conduct their classes completely online.

I think his career might be over. No offensive lineman is going to effectively block for his carcass now. He'll be shunned in the locker room, on the practice field, and will be completely isolated. No chance for success. Oh well.

I think those players who have very quickly jumped on the "he's a racist" bandwagon better make sure their private text conversations are clean....they better not have said anything questionable about #metoo, their crazy ex, the ho they banged last weekend, or the gay dude they laughed at. Hell, any of them on the down low better have kept it totally quiet. None of those people are perfect and I don't believe for a minute that they haven't made regrettable comments in private texts.

It was a female who "outed" Fromm's text. I have issues with her getting a conscience some 2 years down the road simply because, according to her, it's her job to identify racists no matter who they are. Really? There was no other option? Wait until the angry ex makes some shit up and outs other people. It's a slippery slope. I'm not a fan.

Athletes are some of the most entitled arseholes on the planet, regardless of race. Lots of abusers too....of women, drugs, and alcohol. Now all of a sudden, there's a moral standard? Please.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    That’s a very real possibility. It’s something we’re just going to have to deal with should it happen.

It could be an interesting season.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jun 4, 2020
    In many respects, it's GOOD for the team to catch it now. Get sick, recover, and be ready for fall camp.

If you've ever spent any time in a football locker room, you know how impossible it would be to wipe everything down, keep social distance, and avoid touching one another and not spread something like this. Weight rooms, film rooms, the practice field . . . if someone has it, they are going to spread it. It's inevitable. On the field you are CONSTANTLY touching one another and sweating on each other, rubbing your face, wiping sweat out of your eyes . . . it's a petri dish for Covid. So why not get it over ASAP and get ready to play ball in the fall, rather than have a slow rolling infection that slowly moves through the team in Sept, Oct. and Nov.

TrojanHorse and gubo&palanka like this.
  14. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jun 5, 2020
    Nobody wants to go there, but that’s how herd immunity works.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Jun 5, 2020
    I will be surprised if the NCAA does not enact rules regarding testing and isolating before the season begins. Perhaps all players must be tested at least weekly, maybe in a way that provides results by the Friday before a game, and a requirement that all players who test positive sit out for a certain number of days. The NCAA will want to appear to be concerned about student-athlete health.

In addition, coaches may want to claim they are concerned about their own student athletes by insisting that other teams sit athletes who test positive. That way, for example, Coach A can claim he cares abut his athletes and wants to protect them from infection from other teams.

Regardless of the risk, actual or perceived, I think rules will be imposed. How much teams comply, evade, or manipulate the rules is another matter.

16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 5, 2020
    The NCAA has already issued a very soft set of recommendations. So far, the Pac12 is the only conference that has mandated "re-socialization" rules for student athletes returning to campus. And within that, each school may choose to enact further requirements. Weekly testing, severely restricted social access to others outside the program, and 14-day quarantine when symptomatic or testing positive will become the norm at some point I think.

The challenge is with the cost. Tests can run anywhere between $50-$100 a pop. Bigger programs can figure out how to pay for that but others? And certainly the football budget will have to assume the cost for every other sport. Just for football with 125 or more players plus all personnel, that could be around $50k per week. Then add in all other fall sports and maybe other random testing for out-of-season athletes who still need to train and it's a significant cost. The NCAA can't mandate that.

17. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 5, 2020
    I was with you for a while, not sure I follow much of this:
    So I understand, if a black player has previously commented on some "ho" he slayed a couple years back, he can't opine on whether this revelation about Fromm was offensive to him personally, another example where a white athlete can coexist/rely on black players, but still harbor racist feelings privately? He forfeits that ability? Don't see how that makes sense.

In my younger military years, I made tons of misogynistic/sexist comments...hell, it was a right of passage. Our cadence when running was set to some ditty about filling women like dump trucks fill potholes...that eliminates me from publicly calling out Fromm's comments as racist? Not to get too psychological, I think you atone for your sins w/in the context you committed them and under the sentiments felt behind those sins. Admittedly, I don't know the context under which Fromm made those comments, but there doesn't seem to be a legitimate occasion where one can downplay such phrases. The machismo excuse men use to condone sexism and previously homophobia were previously accepted in society and became commonplace, I don't think that was the case for claiming ethnic superiority. My 2 cents on that matter.

As is always the case, the "timing" of when the whistleblower wants to out the famous person is always suspect and implies their own motives, but that doesn't detract from the offense committed or absolve the famous person from clearly stating how they feel now, and why they felt that way then. Two things can be true, the whistleblower can be scum and the famous person can be a racist. It's the athlete that has to coexist with his black teammates, is a role model to younger kids, a pillar to his community, gets paid millions to represent his team...it's incumbent upon the athlete to be worthy of it, not the whistleblower to have more tact. That whistleblower will be judged among their circles, be untrustworthy to their peers from here on.

I can't think of a time when claiming ethnic superiority was not a violation to any moral standard in this country...at least not in my lifetime, in my neck of the woods. I do agree ignorant comments a young person could make 30 years ago and get away w/ their ignorance for a while (until they "evolved") is no longer. It's a different age, consequences are immediate and severe.

18. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jun 5, 2020
    "Reducing the surplus population" ...Ebenezer Scrooge

19. 28thstreet

28thstreet Junior Member

Jun 5, 2020
    Is anybody else not bothered by the fact that we are exposing thousands of kids across the country to a deadly virus with no vaccine so that we can watch them play a game that they are not paid for to make boatloads of money for a university that many will not even graduate from? It seems disgusting to me and, quite frankly, watching kids get sick from this thing so that i can watch football is disturbing. At least with the NFL its grown men being paid millions of dollars, but exposing college kids to this for our (adults) enjoyment, just doesn't sit well.

20. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jun 5, 2020
    Haven't you heard, 28thstreet?

COVID is a hoax perpetrated by the far left to force us all into wearing masks and preventing us from getting haircuts! Nobody I know has died from it, therefore it doesn't exist!