“Manage your expectations”

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by jvjls, Sep 8, 2018.

1. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 10, 2018
    And calling out another poster via thread title says what exactly? That you've moved on? That you are above it all? That you can maintain decorum and respect even if it doesn't come your way?

Do first....lead by example. Continually calling out other people for what was said to you appears like you are back for reasons other than discussing football.

2. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Have to agree. Perhaps the OP could list the programs he thinks won NCs lately "the right way?"

3. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 10, 2018
    OF course you have to "manage your expectations." Isn't true of everything in life?

"Expectations" for this team should be 9-3, 10-2 if lucky, 8-4 if not. Even that is probably better than the historical average over the past 100 years? If you think this is a top 5 team (at least at this point in the season), then yes, you need to "manage" better.

4. Damien

Damien Points Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I think 10-2 or 9-3 is probably realistic, but do remember we are playing 11 Power 5 teams when comparing win totals vs teams that play 8 or 9 power 5 teams this year. If Helton wants to keep his job, he had better get more involved with O and quick. The D looked pretty solid, aside from some questionable LB/secondary play on a few drives. If he was smart, he would make every call just like Shaw and some of the other ex O coordinators do for their team or he will get canned.

5. BeachFAN

BeachFAN Junior Member

Sep 10, 2018
    One less than the number of true Freshman QB's that have led Alabama to the promised land, that's for sure. And I'm tired of using THAT as an excuse. This is NOT on JT, per every recruiting source and analyst out there he has the talent to do it. period. This is on the entire coaching staff and no one else. CCH is a great recruiter, a great guy, has a great family, grills a mean steak, is a a funny guy, nice to kids and puppies and is a 9-3, 10-2 coach. He'll continue to win the Pac12 South (whatever the hell that is), make a RB now and then and continue to get his ears boxed more often than not in big road games against critical opponents.

6. djgcue

djgcue Junior Member

Sep 10, 2018
    My expectation for this year and the next and the next....rinse...repeat... is that SC just beats Fugly!

7. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 10, 2018

My post was never to imply anything other than JT is s freshman and no matter how talented he is, it’s asking quite a bit to win it all, especially when he has to overcome this current scheme.

8. Damien

Damien Points Member

Sep 10, 2018
    You do realize that JT has 69 attempts in 2 games, while Tua has 35, right? Frosh QB needs a run game and better scheming to help him out. 3 and outs and a punt are better than a pick or fumble. Play old school for a while until he gets some reps with his teammates. If we lose close games by playing smash mouth football, so be it at this point.

9. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 10, 2018
    So you're saying that if we switched QBs with Alabama, we'd win the NC and Bama would go 8-4?

10. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I've been a Clay apologist until now but even I'm having a hard time defending the ineptitude of this staff. Saturday showed me we're the same damn team that we were two years ago. Sure, we went 10-3 and won a Rose Bowl, and won the Pac-12 at 11-2 last year, but we're a clear cut (or two, or three) below elite CFP teams and that's not cutting it for me any more.

I know JT's a freshman, but he's had 3 years now. It's time to win.