An early look at the Texas Longhorns

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Sep 11, 2017.

1. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

WeAreSC Staff
    Sep 13, 2017 - 5:04 PM
    He made his fair share of plays with his arm too. Yes he ran for 200 yards and 3 TD's but he also completed 30 of 40 passes for 267 yards, including 10 completions to his TE, which all seemed to come at key moments.

Still hurts to look up the stats, to review any part of that game.

2. Jbuckingham50

Jbuckingham50 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2017 - 5:19 PM
    Watch the tape, it was not a lateral, it went forward and then hit the ground, should have been called an illegal forward pass with us retaining possession, not a fumble and turnover.

3. tigersfan

tigersfan New Member

Sep 13, 2017 - 7:19 PM
    Hey I want to see if someone could help me out. I am traveling to LA this weekend and have an opportunity to go to the game. I am from Alabama and I am an Auburn fan but I love experiencing different college stadiums. I want to get the full experience of a USC football game so I was wondering if someone could tell me what things should be on our list to do on Saturday.

4. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Sep 13, 2017 - 7:40 PM
    A lot depends on where you are staying - if downtown area, buy a day pass for the Metrorail and in the morning head up to Hollywood for breakfast amid that scene. Get back to Coliseum area by 1 or 2, find the USC tailgate party where the band makes a pre-game stop and where you can drink your fill (I think its around $75pp for unlimited food and beverages of the alcoholic kind). Watch the game and then head over to LA live by Staples to get the late-night scene (perhaps even make a late-night run to the Pantry two blocks away from Staples).

5. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2017 - 7:41 PM
    Ok. So that is a ref issue, not a Laine Kiffin issue.

6. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Sep 13, 2017 - 7:49 PM
    Unfortunately Vince was lights out on the passing game that night - his TE Dave Thomas had a career night and was as much a hero as Vince to the Horn fans after the game. Vince was wearing the Red S that night and nobody was going to stop him. Trojans had their chances on both 3rd down and 4th down plays before surrendering the ball back to Texas - on 3rd down Leinart and Hancock couldn't hook up on an easy throw that might have yielded the necessary first down and on the 4th down play Justice whiffed his block otherwise LenDale would have made the 2 yards easily.

Sometimes even a great team can end up on the wrong end of history by some small mistake or a stroke of luck - such was the case with the 2005 Trojans.

7. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 13, 2017 - 10:01 PM
    Yep. I also believe that had the 2005 team had the 2004 defense, they would probably have won that game, not because of the final drive, but because I don't think Texas could have kept up over the course of the game.

TrojanLore likes this.
  8. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

WeAreSC Member
    Sep 13, 2017 - 10:25 PM
  9. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Sep 13, 2017 - 10:55 PM

Let's face the facts, that Trojan defense was not very good. Rivers couldn't play because of a hammy, Cushing was playing with one arm, and our db's, uggghhhh! Still should have beat them though.

10. TrojanLore

TrojanLore Member

Sep 13, 2017 - 11:07 PM
    Over the years your point has been forgotten by many. While the Trojan offense was all-world again that year, it had an equal with the Young lead Longhorns. The difference for the Trojans was this was not their best defensive unit. And at times it showed.

Even going into the game this was not mentioned much as the focus was on the winning streak, #1 versus #2, the top two scoring averages that year playing each other, and of course the Trojan Heisman backfield.