Speculation, tension, and anticipation are growing as the early December signing period begins on Wednesday. Obviously, all Trojan fans are eager with both excitement and anxiety over which prep nuggets will be headed to Howard Jones/Brian Kennedy Fields or possibly lining up against the Men of Troy in the future.
Last early signing period, the Trojans saw the signatures of center Justin Dedich, S Talanoa Hufanga, OLB Kana’i Mauga, ILB Raymond Scott, Caleb Tremblay, and Chase Williams.
In recruiting, of course, it’s never really over until the ink is dry. Some names to watch on Wednesday include WRs Bru McCoy (Santa Ana, Calif./Mater Dei) and Kyle Ford (Orange, Calif./Lutheran); DB Chris Steele (Bellflower, Calif./St. John Bosco); Community College DEs Datona Jackson (College of the Desert) and Nick Figueroa (Riverside CC); OLs Enokk Vimahi (Kahuku, Hawaii), Kardell Thomas (Baton Rouge, LA/Southern Lab), Jason Rodgriguez (Hesperia, Calif./Oak Hills), OL Gino Quinones (Oahu, Hawaii/St. Louis); TEs Ethan Rae (Orange, Calif./Lutheran) and Jude Wolfe (Bellflower, Calif./St John Bosco); and RBs Jordan Wilmore (Lawndale, Calif./Lawndale) and Kenan Christon (San Diego, Calif./Madison). And there are others unnamed that would bring a smile to any head coach, although some of the names listed above may sign but wait to make their public announcement at a later date.
Of course, the early signing period is just part of the recruiting process, and as we learned from the signing of JT Daniels (photo above), recruiting and signing papers can stretch out beyond the early December signing period and February’s standard signing window.
As a bit of a respite from Wednesday’s anticipated recruiting signing hysteria, here’s a little recruiting “where did they go” quiz for all you USC recruiting know-it-alls. We’ve divided up five levels of recruiting questions, so let’s see if you can ace the quiz.
Matt Leinart easy pickens – Level 1
1. Where did QB Matt Leinart go to high school? Was it (A) Santa Domingo Mater Dei (B) Santa Ana Modern Day, (C) Santana Moderate Day), (D) Santa Ana Mater Dei?
2. Where did WR Robert Woods go to high school? Was it (A) Mother Serra (B) Sister Serra (C) Sierra Nevada (D) Gardena Serra?
3. Where did QB Mark Sanchez go to high school? Was it (A) Mission Impossible) (B) Mission Accomplished (C) Mission a boarded (D) Mission Viejo?
4. Where did QB Sam Darnold go to high school? Was it (A) Roberto Clemente (B) My darling Clementine (C) Santa Clemente (D) San Clemente?
5.Where did OLs Ryan and Matt Kalil attend high school? Was it (A) Anaheim Service (B) Anaheim (B) Anaheim Loara (C) Anaheim Esperanza (D) Anaheim Servite?
Marcus Allen having to think division – Level
1. Where did Heisman TB Marcus Allen go to high school? Was it (A) San Diego Kennedy (B) San Diego Mission Bay (C) San Diego Lincoln (D) San Diego Washington?
2. Where did Heisman TB Mike Garrett go to high school? Was it (A) Los Angeles Manuel Arts (B) Los Angeles Jefferson (C) Los Angeles Roosevelt (D) Los Angeles Crenshaw?
3. Where did S Ronnie Lott go to high school? Was it (A) Rialto Phillips (B) Rialto Kennedy (C) Rialto Johnson (D) Rialto Eisenhower?
4. Where did LB Rey Maualuga go to high school? Was it (A) Eureka (B) Eubetsya (C) Europa (D) Red Bluff?
5, Where did OL Anthony Munoz go to high school? Was it (A) Ontario Canada (B) Ontario Smith (C) Ontario Chaffey (D) Lake Ontario?
Out of State -Level 3
1. Where did WR Mike Williams go to high school? Was it (A) Tampa, Florida/Bell (B) Tampa, Florida/Plant (C) Miami, Florida/Simmons (D) Orlando, Florida/Celebration?
2. Where did LB Brian Cushing go to high school? Was it (A) Park Ridge, New Jersey/Pope John Catholic (B) Park Ridge, New Jersey/St. John the Baptist (C) Park Ridge, New Jersey/Bergen Catholic (C) Park Ridge, New Jersey/St. Paul
3. Where did LB Keith Rivers go to high school? Was it (A) Lake Mary, Florida/St. Christopher (B) Lake Mary, Florida/Lake Mary (C) Lake Mary, Florida/Our Lady of Guadalupe (D) Lake Mary, Florida/ Devine Child?
4. Where did DL Leonard Williams go to high school? Was it (A) Vero Beach, Florida/Ponce de Leon (B) Fort Lauderdale, Florida/Allen B. Sheppard (C) Titusville, Florida/Astronaut (D) Daytona Beach, Florida/ Mainland?
5. Where did RB Ronald Jones go to high school? Was it (A) Wheeler, Texas/Hollister (B) McKinney, Texas/North (C) Dallas, Texas/Highland (D) Plano, Texas/ Stevens?
Legends – Level 4
1. Where did FB Sam “Bam” Cunningham go to high school? Was it (A) Santa Maria (B) San Fernando (C) Santa Barbara (D) Carpinteria?
2. Where did TB O.J. Simpson go to high school? Was it (A) Da Vinci (B) Michelangelo (C) Copernicus (D) Galileo?
3. Where did LB Richard “Batman” Wood go to high school? Was it (A) New York City Hamilton (B) Statin Island, New York/Shummer (C) Elizabeth, New Jersey/Jefferson (D) Yonkers, New York/Gorton?
4. Where did TB Jon Arnett go to high school? Was it (A) Los Angeles Fremont (B) Los Angeles Manual Arts (C) Los Angeles Washington (D) Los Angeles Jefferson?
5. Where did Outland Trophy winner OT Ron Yary go to high school? Was it (A) Bellflower (B) Lakewood (C) Artesia (D) Long Beach Millikan?
Tommy Trojan – Level 5
1. Where did C Jake Olson go to high school? Was it (A) Orange Lutheran (B) Anaheim Servite (C) Santa Margarita (D) JSerra?
2. Where did S Troy Polamalu go to high school? Was it (A) Corvallis, Oregon/South (B) Beaverton, Oregon/Beaverton (C) Tenmile, Oregon/Davis (D) Tenmile, Oregon/Douglas?
3. Where did Lombardi Award winner OG Brad Budde go to high school? Was it (A) Kansas City, Missouri/Rockhurst (B) Kansas City, Kansas/ Arch Bishop Malloy (C) Kansas City, Missouri/St. Bernadette (D) Kansas City, Kansas/Our Savior?
4. Where did athletic director and WR Lynn Swann go to high school? Was it (A) San Marcos Davis (B) Foster City St. Stephens (C) Palo Alto (D) San Mateo Serra?
5. Where did All-America TE Charles “The Tree” Young go to high school? Was it (A) Fresno Edison (B) Clovis West (C) Danville (D) Stockton St. Mary’s?
The Answer Key:
Level 1: 1.D 2.D 3.D 4.D 5.D
Level 2: 1.C 2.C 3.D 4.A 5.C
Level 3: 1.B 2.C 3.B 4.D 5.B
Level 4: 1.C 2.D 3.C 4.B 5.A
Level 5: 1.A 2.D 3.A 4.D 5.A
-0-2= You should be the Trojans’ 2019 recruiting coordinator
-3-4= You should be assigned to the top 2020 recruiting targets
-5-6= You should be allowed to recruit public schools only
-7-8= You should be allowed only to recruit junior high prospects
-9 or more= You should be transferred to another sport