By Johnny Curren
Notes and highlights from the Trojans’ player-run practice inside Loker Stadium on Friday:
* With Zach Banner not in attendance due to Pac-12 Media Day obligations, the primary No. 1 offensive line group consisted of Chad Wheeler at LT, Chris Brown at LG, Nico Falah at C, Viane Talamaivao at RG and Chuma Edoga at RT.
* Toa Lobendahn spent a majority of the day with the No. 2 group at center, but he also took some reps at left tackle as well.
* Khaliel Rodgers continued to go with the defensive line group.
* Freshman wide receiver Tyler Vaughns had a big day, making a pair of leaping grabs along the sideline. The first came on a pass from Max Browne where Vaughns reached over Ajene Harris to make the catch. The second came on rollout pass from Sam Darnold on the last play of the session, with Vaughns jumping up to make the reception despite tight coverage from Jack Jones.
* De’Quan Hampton had the arguable play of the day, leaping high to haul in a deep pass from Browne with Harris in tight coverage along the sideline. Hampton put on a dance display following the play that brought plenty of laughter out of his teammates.
* Browne swung a quick pass out to Justin Davis, and the senior tailback put a nice juke on Marvell Tell right at the line-of-scrimmage before running across the field for a nice gain.
* Browne tried to hit Isaac Whitney outside, but Isaiah Langley read the play beautifully and broke up the pass – coming close to compiling an interception.
* Lining up at SAM linebacker, freshman Jordan Iosefa beat right tackle Nathan Smith around the edge and sacked Matt Fink.
* Jones came up with a nice pass break-up along the sideline on a deep toss from Darnold to Vaughns.
* Hayes Pullard, Delvon Simmons, Soma Vainuku and Antwaun Woods were all in attendance.
* New USC athletic director Lynn Swann was spotted entering the John McKay Center following a morning run just before the start of the Trojans’ throwing session.