Your beach open?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Apr 25, 2020.

1. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    Tried to go hiking today, trails are still closed. Frustrating.

2. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    Isn't that the party line, that we shouldn't be allowed to go where we want? And, ironically, aren't you engaging in name calling and cheap shots against those with a different opinion than yours?

Here you go again - blah, blah, blah. You start to come to your senses on the surfing and skiing, but then revert. Fyi, nobody got the coronavirus while skiing, they got it at the bars afterward. The point I've been trying to make in this thread is that there's a difference. The beaches & slopes are/were not high risk as far as catching the coronavirus and shouldn't have been closed. Accordingly, they should be opened immediately (well, the beaches anyway).

brand56 likes this.
  3. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    My wife and some of her friends got ticketed over the weekend on a quiet trail behind one of their houses in Pacific Palisades. Fortunately, it was just one ticket amongst them, which they're splitting.

4. DaFireMedic

Apr 28, 2020
    Thats just wrong.

5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    According to the Wall St Journal....

"Roughly half of all U.S. workers stand to earn more in unemployment benefits than they did at their jobs before the coronavirus pandemic shut down swaths of the U.S. economy, a result of government relief that employers say is complicating plans to reopen businesses....the stimulus included a WEEKLY $600 boost to unemployment benefits."

Your point again?

Troy70 and DaFireMedic like this.
  6. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 28, 2020
    Whoa!
    A post about Seal Beach being closed which has nothing to do with sports or USC football has stretched to four pages.
    Lord
    I can only say that for me any link between USC and Seal Beach is that guy at the Patty's Place restaurant bar who was so much fun. I have no idea who bought who the most martinis.... bitchen guy. Who are You? You gave me a USC bottle opener that played "Fight On" when used to open a beer.
    Anyway this thread has nothing to do with with USC football but everything to do with NOT-usc football.
    Would we not be better served to open up a separate board for things not associated with Trojan football?
    Sorry to fart on this post but jeezuz even

dbw021 likes this.
  7. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    So wrong on so many levels.

8. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    I would have given a fake name and moved on.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  9. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    fight the stupid ticket... never submit

10. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    This is dumb. As long as they were masked and/or observing the 6 foot rule, I don't see the harm in it.

OTOH, I'm guessing they deliberately ignored a "TRAIL CLOSED" sign and stepped through some yellow tape that clearly marked the trail as being off-limits.

11. Yup All Right

Yup All Right Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    The irony here is mind-boggling... I'm embarrassed for you.

By the way, the government's not out to get you nor is it trying to take away your rights permanently. I think you'll be able to survive not going out for a few months.

12. Yup All Right

Apr 28, 2020
  13. Yup All Right

Apr 29, 2020
    Interesting statistic (if true), but I still stand by what I said, actually. Even if some people get more money from unemployment than they do at their regular jobs, I bet you they'd rather have their regular jobs. Unemployment takes a while to process and is not guaranteed given how many people are applying for it right now, requires proof that you're continuing to actively look for a job, doesn't last indefinitely, etc. A job provides more stability and can come with benefits as well. Not to mention the social stigma of being constantly unemployed incentivizing most people to get a job.

Also vball I know you directed one of your long multi-point posts to me -- I don't mind them as they're organized, but they take a while to respond to and I know from past observations that responding will likely result in another long post from you, and I'm currently really busy with work. Suffice to say that all in all I hold saving lives as the #1 priority, and if there is some suffering or curtailing of rights that needs to happen, then so be it. We should all be willing to self-sacrifice for the greater good, especially when that sacrifice just means staying home. Now, it's truly unfortunate if domestic violence really has gone up that much, and unfortunately I don't have a solution there. But for the other situations you mention, if people really are breaking down mentally just because they need to stay home, then I think some introspection and perspective are in order. Remember, you can still take walks in the neighborhood, and calling people to just chat is an option. And there are a lot worse things in life than having to stay home. For children's education, learning from home for a few months rather than at school is just not a big deal in my opinion; being physically present in school just isn't necessary for learning, and anything that needs to be made up can easily be done so (how many lessons does it really take to learn about the water cycle). Caveat that these are all general statements since there are always exceptions.

And you mentioned almost 50% of the LA population is without work - good thing there are unemployment benefits and the $1,200 checks then!

14. KeenObserver

Apr 29, 2020
    Be embarrassed for your ignorant self. Don’t worry about me. You’re a sheep. It’s not up to you if I can survive not going out for a few months. It’s not your call.

15. KeenObserver

Apr 29, 2020
    Define greater good and it’s not a sacrifice when you are forced to do something. It coercion in the least and suppression at the worst. Problem with people like you, is you determine the moral high ground and then hold people accountable by your arbitrary standard. This is a topic worth debate and the no shut down position is valid, quantitatively supported and constitutionally guaranteed covered by the 1st and 14th amendments at a minimum.

OC2SC and CrownoftheValley like this.
  16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 29, 2020
    If true? I get your game. You only want to believe data that supports your opinion. If you want to bet, then provide concrete evidence other than your opinion. You know how easy it is to provide "proof" that one is looking for work? At the moment, there is zero social stigma about being unemployed.

The greatest good can be achieved by at-risk and fearful people staying at home while low-risk, willing people return to work in an attempt to right this sinking economy. "Just" staying at home comes with plenty of consequences which you also seem to be downplaying. Domestic violence reporting is in fact increasing. That isn't debatable. In addition, child abuse is most often reported by teaches, care-givers, doctors, etc and since kids are now stuck at home with their abusers and nobody to report on suspected abuse, I guess that is the kind of "suffering" you are fine with. Excellent to know where you stand.

Introspection and perspective? What, stressed out parents and kids should take up yoga? Meditation maybe? Get a grip. Online alcohol sales are up 243%. Anti-depressants and anxiety prescriptions are up significantly with 75% being new patients. Some families live in very small spaces with a lot of people. Getting out to work is often the one thing that allows them to avoid stress and anxiety. Now they are all stuck inside together. Parents are required to become their student's teacher. No job, no income, and all stuck together. I'm sure introspection is exactly what is needed. Good Lord. What if the neighborhood they live in isn't safe? Taking a walk in economically impoverished neighborhoods isn't exactly soothing, is it? Talking on the phone is not comparable to in-person eye-to-eye conversation nor can physical touch be replaced. How about people who live alone? I know...perspective is what they should get.

Learning from home is a little challenging if you don't have internet or a device. But hey....introspect! Do you actually have kids at home? Part of their learning and growth is specific to social skills, interaction, outside feedback. Kids aren't playing together at the park, having lunch in the lunch room, congregating on the field for recess. They are stuck at home with a parent or maybe 2. Maybe even stuck at home with an abuser...or 2. But hey....introspect and gain perspective kid! For plenty of people, in particular the most vulnerable among us, there is nothing worse than being stuck at home. I think it's you who needs perspective.

My social distancing ends tomorrow. My mother lives alone. She's in the last phase of her life and deserves human contact. That's my perspective.

OC2SC, brand56, PickSicx and 5 others like this.
  17. KeenObserver

Apr 29, 2020
    Nice ass kicking. This guy deserves it with his glib rationale.

OC2SC, brand56 and CrownoftheValley like this.
  18. DaFireMedic

Apr 29, 2020
    Too large a percentage of people will be more than willing to stay home for the same pay than they would get for working.

But even if everyone does want to go back to work, if the economy doesn’t open back up soon, there won’t be anyone left to hire these people. Businesses are closing down permanently all over the country at a catastrophic rate. We have to stop the bleeding before it’s too late.

I have no problem sacrificing for the greater good. However, if this country goes into an economic depression, you will see a “greater bad” than you have ever seen in your life, and that “bad” will be passed onto your children and beyond. And not just financially, but in terms of death and disease, healthcare, mental illness, across all demographics.

And we will still have Covid-19 to deal with.

19. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Actually that is a very rational decision. Based on risk reward and economics. Less likely to get sick at home, transportation costs = $0, No payroll taxes deducted. Why would you go to work if you get the same pay? If you are arguing they shouldn't get paid at 100% of their wages that's a good argument.

I am currently getting 25% of my pay so it makes more sense financially for me to go back to work.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  20. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 29, 2020
    I do not wish to sacrifice anything for the greater or lesser good.
    Just open up the fucking restaurants and let me decide if I want a medium rare Angus steak at the risk of being coughed upon.
    Or at least let me live in a CC state so I can shoot the SOB who coughs.

oh shit... I am contributing to this incredibly stupid thread.
    I should be spanked