Your beach open?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Apr 25, 2020.

1. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Come on VBall, you REALLY aren't THIS ignorant are you? I'm sorry if I believe the learned scientists and experts over Trump and the other ignorant fools out galovanting around. Our hospitals are NOT overrun because of the very stay at home policies that we have followed for the past month. It really is NOT that difficult to understand. Hmmm do I believe Fauci, or YOU. Easy.
    What pisses me off is that these yahoos are out there not social distancing, (ah, there was room on those beaches because intelligent people were staying at home) and putting other peoples lives, mainly our first responders, at risk. I can give a crap about their lives - they chose to put it at risk. There is no cure for this virus, it is highly contagious, and deadly, and even worse - it is contagious when someone is asymptomatic. There was a study that showed that if social distancing, stay at home, was not put in place 95% of LA County would be infected. You do the math. Our hosipitals WOULD look like New Yorks had we done what you and others want.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Tod78 and Yup All Right like this.
  2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    You are a coward and a sheep and if there is one good thing about the lockdown is school children get to spend less time with mind numbingly stupid people like you teaching them.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/2-whisteblowing-cali-er-doctors-urge-open-society-now-because-lockdowns-are-weakening-our

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Galovanting? Lol. The reason hospitals out here are not overrun is not primarily due to people staying at home. It is mostly due to the fact that CA bought into the original prognostications of "experts" who said half a million would die here so they cancelled all elective surgeries and created fear which causes non-virus patients to avoid hospitals and emergency rooms. CA does not have the mortality rate or viral load of metro NY. Policies in CA and just about every other state were based off of what were clearly false predictions. And once again, let's remember....metro NY has half of all US deaths. THEIR hospitals are overrun and much of that has to do with the way they live. Other than LA and SF, which also don't have anywhere near the number of cases, Californians do not live the way New Yorkers do. We don't take subways, we have our own cars, we don't have high-rises where people share hallways and elevators and doors, we don't spend our days on crowded streets or shoved in to packed restaurants.

It is absurd to think that CA has hospital capacity because we all "stayed home". Dr Fauci got the AIDS epidemic wrong. Dr Fauci has yet to appear in a facemask. Dr Fauci is a New Yorker. Dr Fauci and the WHO initially said facemasks aren't necessary unless you have active symptoms. And now we are at complete reversal but somehow you put your trust in him.

What about the US Surgeon General? He's a doctor and "expert" too. "US officials including Surgeon General Jerome Adams urged people against buying and wearing masks to protect themselves from the new coronavirus.

In an interview on Fox News' "Fox & Friends" on Monday, Adams said wearing face masks could actually increase a person's risk of contracting the coronavirus.

"You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a health care provider," Adams said. "Folks who don't know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus," he added."

One expert....you don't need facemasks, oh wait, maybe you do.
    Another expert...facemasks will INCREASE your risk.

We all know who the high risk people in society are and they know it too. At this point, they should make the decision to stay at home. The rest of us should be allowed to get back to life and we sure as hell should be allowed to go to the beach.

PickSicx, dbw021, VegasPlayer and 4 others like this.
  4. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    I defy anyone to tell me the science related to catching the coronavirus while surfing. This is utter nonsense.

brand56 and CrownoftheValley like this.
  5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Want to eat fish & chips at Hangout across from beach. Walt’s Wharf old owner was a dentist & gave us on the house special stuff .

6. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Ah, New York, that bastion of healthy living. And let me guess, the other half are in senior housing, which, btw, have received zero help. But good thing the beaches are closed, lol.

7. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Yes and if you follow the stories each one is taking measured steps
    To do their best to stay on the downward case trens they are seeing.

8. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Hi Karen!

Pandemics are about adaptability and learning on the fly as more data comes in. The amount of certitude in your position is frankly ridiculous and unwarranted. We're all stumbling in the dark here, even the "experts".

9. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Thus the logic is to proceed with caution, be overly conservative to start and ease as is warranted based on best information available.
    Be a good citizen and try to avoid endangering others, partly by not a being an asymptomatic carrier and spreading the disease. I would think swimming and surfing etc. should be safe enough but as has been demonstrated by ski trips in Europe the virus is easily spread once you're off the slope or out of the water if precautions aren't taken.

Tod78 likes this.
  10. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    No one is disagreeing with taking “measured steps”, only with what those measured steps are.

It sounds like you’re admitting that surfing and skiing are ok, as long as you’re social distancing afterward.

Don’t look now, but you’re starting to use some critical reasoning.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    brand56 likes this.
  11. KeenObserver

Apr 27, 2020
    Your name is subtly ironic considering your bubble wrap approach to life.

Every approach has a decided cost benefit analysis. We are at a point that we know who can be killed by this and those that almost with certainty will not. The economy needs to be open and we to think in more ways to open as opposed to more ways to constrict.

BTW, the whole mask thing is to give the appearance of danger and to create complicity and conflict among the citizens. Mask outdoors in wide spaces do nothing but impact your own health by breathing stale air, creating moldy surfaces and looking ridiculous and uncomfortable. I will not wear a mask unless it is requirement to enter a building and I need what they are selling.

Otherwise, walk on the other side if you don't like it. Its not a lack of courtesy, its a lack of recognition of a police state acting on their own whims.

12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Exactly who has the best information? And information that isn't contrived or falsified?

Ultimately, everyone is going to be exposed. High risk people and those in fear should be good citizens and stay at home, rely on online shopping, curbside pickup, and cable TV or the neighbor's dog for entertainment. Good citizens want to get this economy going before more damage is done. Good citizens want kids back in school, abusers exposed, people with non-covid illnesses to not fear going to the hospital.

We are in the spring now. Ski slopes are all closed. National Parks are all closed. Public swimming pools are closed. A LOT of public parks are closed. Hiking trails are closed. On Friday, I drove to the beach, I parked, I walked, I sat, I left. I got nowhere near other people, there was plenty of space for everyone. Ridiculous to keep the beaches closed.

13. Yup All Right

Yup All Right Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    It pains me to see that Trojans (and Americans in general) can be so ignorant and selfish. "LET ME GO TO MY BEACHES!" It is really that important? I'd love to go to the beaches, parks, malls, etc. but recognize there's a greater purpose here. We need to make sure that as few people as possible have COVID as we don't want them (especially the asymptomatic carriers) to spread it to those who are at-risk and overwhelm our hospitals. The heavy championing of personal freedoms in our culture can be really toxic sometimes.

Unfortunately, if the lockdown works and cases are lower than forecasted, then people will use this as evidence that the lockdown was unnecessary. But the reason why numbers are lower is precisely because of the lockdown! (As stated by GoSC1 above.) Social distancing will need to remain in place so that there aren't too many COVID patients at any one time. But I'm not a medical expert and freely admit this. So I'll just defer to the actual medical experts, epidemiologists, and people who've dedicated their entire careers to these topics and let them make the macro decisions.

And if you think that people are happier about getting $1,200 and not working over making their regular wages and working... then I just don't know what to say to you. Sure, maybe people making less than $14,400 a year and a few other really lazy people feel that way. But I sincerely doubt there are many others.

Tod78 likes this.
  14. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Apr 27, 2020
    I always have been using critical reasoning, it has been the name calling knuckleheads whose answer is
    let me go where I want when I want and everybody else watch out that make this not a discussion but an exercise
    in name calling and cheap shots.

15. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    God forbid championing personal freedom, lol.

16. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Dr. Fauci is Trump’s advisor on this, and he has recommended that the beaches and other areas with large crowds not open just yet in all areas. Per Dr. Fauci, Trump has and is following every recommendation of the doctor and his team. As such, the beaches are not recommended to be opened immediately, but to do so gradually in a staged progression based on the data they are following. Some governors disagree and are opening immediately.

17. KeenObserver

Apr 27, 2020
    You're the one that is ignorant and selfish. I for one value liberty, common sense, free enterprise and rational thinking. There is no dialog here. Its you and your ilk telling us what is best for us and having the politicians do the dirty work. The numbers do not support the model and the lockdowns do not support the science. At this point everything is politics and CYA. There is no massive outbreak of Covid waiting to happen this Summer we are deep into the back 9 on this. Guaranteed most of us have already been exposed to this and so have had it and gotten over it without even knowing. Far more toxic than personal freedoms is the heavy hand of tyranny. Good luck getting your rights back once you lose them.

18. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    You say you're using critical reasoning, wanting measured steps, and then buy into the party line of close everything down in the name of science?

19. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    I'm sorry, but I don't give a shit if it were Moses telling us that the beaches aren't safe. It has nothing to do with whichever location you want to pick on.

20. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Lol, I agree that personal freedoms are of tremendous importance here. I was just stating the situation as it currently stands with Trump, Dr. Fauci and team, and the individual states/governors.