Yary recommits

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by heyrev, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Yary recommits
    heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Big get...surprised nobody posted this. Am I behind the curve on this...or what, too much good news for the board? Anyway, nice pick up. Wonder what changed his mind...

DaFireMedic and TrojanHorse like this.

2. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 4, 2020
    All we need are solid FB and wishbone QB commits and we'll be all set!

3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Feb 4, 2020
    We have a lot of tight ends...but still glad it happend.

4. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Use him like Rhett Ellison (fullback, h-back, tight end) so he can knock the snot out of blitzing linebackers. Make him Slovis's best friend on the field. That's a big man that needs playing time quickly.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  5. RRDub

RRDub Junior Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Great to now have a 6th Tight End who will never see the football

6. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Feb 4, 2020
    I am happy about this. It would have been wrong if he played anywhere else. He is a Trojan, through and through.

7. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Makes perfect sense but won't happen until there is a new HC or at the very least a new OC. No FB's or H-backs, and underutilized TEs in the Harrell Air Raid.

8. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

Feb 4, 2020
    The only good news here is we are spared the embarrassment of seeing the son of a USC legend turn his back on USC. Seriously as was noted below he's just TE number six on an offense where the TEs average just over one catch per game between them the last two years.

So I am happy he re-committed and wish Jack all the success on and off the field possible. But other than sparing the program's further humiliation on the recruiting front I'm not sure this indicates a dark corner turned back toward the light.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 4, 2020
    You would think that a guy who recalls 23 blast would understand that having a good blocker at tight end is far more important than having tight ends who catch a few passes a game

jjg4sc, Trojan Man 30, DJ4SC and 3 others like this.
  10. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Feb 4, 2020
    We, as a fan base, should be excited by this news, but we are reacting like we are watching someone jump back onto the Titanic with us. We respect the commitment, but you should have swam while you could. I can't think of a more wasted scholarship with this coaching staff.

11. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Always room for a quality guy, especially one whose father was a great Trojan who I had the pleasure of watching on the field.

Agree with Old Scotty that it certainly doesn't hurt to have a guy who can block from the tight end spot or maybe play as a fullback in short yardage or goal line situations where he might be the guy who springs the TB or QB for a TD run or catches a TD pass.

Fight On Yary family!

12. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 4, 2020
    calling him a "wasted scholarship" is insulting to Yary. I dislike this post intensely. I never like that term.

13. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

Feb 4, 2020
    You can have two and even three TE s on the field when running 23 blast more than once or twice every half. When you run the ball 30 times per game as a team do you really need six TEs either to block or catch passes in this offense? Seriously consider that

Marcus Allen alone averaged over 36 carries per game as a senior and 35 per game as a junior
    Charles White alone averaged just over 30 carries per game as a senior, just under 30 per game as a junior
    Ricky Bell alone averaged just over 32 carries per game as a junior
    O.J. Simpson averaged just under 35 carries per game as a senior

And those teams featuring those tailbacks all averaged between 50 and 59 carries per game.

So there is a time for six scholarship TE s on your roster and this just is not that time.

14. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Feb 5, 2020
    How many of those six TE’s were healthy last year? By my recollection there was one or two at best healthy at any one time.

zitorocks likes this.
  15. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Feb 5, 2020
    I hope Harrell can adapt and realize one less receiver will not spoil the Air Raid if it keeps your young QB healthy. Slovis is tough but concussions add up and derail careers. Yary looks thick and ready to play right away. An extra second in the pocket is worth more than an extra receiver.

zitorocks likes this.
  16. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 5, 2020
    It's a mystery why Harrel refuses to use the TE's as well. The AR uses TE's in other variations just fine. They can be used inline to block, outside as mismatch receivers, inside as block & release.

It's a mystery why the TE's are not used more. We seem to use London as the mismatch threat, which is fine, but it's not the same as a blocker you can sneak out near the goalline, a motion-blocker in 3rd & short etc. Absolute mystery why we keep recruiting TE's only to not throw to them. Might as well put an extra OL out there and accomplish the same.

Opposing Safeties have absolutely nothing to worry about against us.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    4thamp1 likes this.
  17. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Feb 5, 2020
    No its not, its the opposite. the kid should go somewhere that he will be used and appreciated. This coaching staff will waste this kid's talents. Sorry you got triggered.