Xamarion Gordon plans to skip senior season, enroll early at USC

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 20, 2020.

2. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    It's going to be an interesting next 8 months

3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 20, 2020
    At this point, nothing should affect scholarships. These early enrollees will head to USC at the normal time in terms of the college point of view. It's only if the college season gets pushed back to the spring that it could really start affecting the scholarship situation, and at this point there are a bunch of big questions that don't even begin to have answers.

Would college players sit out the spring season? Absolutely. Would schools be able to add incoming early enrollees to the active roster if they fit under the scholarship limit? Very few schools would have the scholarship space to accommodate all the early enrollees with the way the rosters look right now. Would schools have to add incoming early enrollees to a non-active roster? Would they be able to go over the scholarship limit based on the student-athletes expected to graduate? I don't know if anybody has these answers yet, but hopefully someone is working on them just in case the college season also gets pushed to spring.

4. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    You would think the NCAA would accommodate the high school kinds and allow them to come in early should they qualify and not have it affect the overall scholarship numbers due to circumstances beyond their/or College football’s control....

Troy70 likes this.
  5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    SC should be allowed to give & honor scholarships if students start January. Also allow players on team to stay & play in spring if CV forces Spring season

6. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Jul 21, 2020
    The NCAA should bend over backwards to make sure all these students have no problems with enrollment .
    They should do everything in their power to take care of all scholarship athletes and make it as smooth as possible for them.

since they’re the reason they exist. But reality says this won’t happen.
    If the season doesn’t start in Sept. there’s going to be mega problems.

I still believe that if the nfl starts, so will college football.

LDIABootney likes this.
  7. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    I agree with this.

I'd hope that the NCAA could act quickly to make sure that everybody is taken care of regardless of what the schedule winds up looking like and when high school students are arriving on campus. I'm curious what will happen to California high school prospects who head to college in the summer after completing their seasons. I know recruits are hesitant about playing a full spring season and then trying to compete for a spot in the fall and playing another season in the same calendar year. I'm curious how coaches will handle that and if this will basically guarantee that a huge majority of California prospects who play in the spring are guaranteed a redshirt season in fall 2021. Or maybe those kids get an extra year, so it can count as the first of two redshirt years, so they aren't pushed to the point of injury.

And I do think college football will start in September. I'm wondering if the Pac-12 would go as far as to reshuffle the scheduled completely and start the season with rivalry games and then try to move out against teams in close proximity--like the California teams all playing each other the first three weeks, just to keep travel to a minimum early on.