WR Josh Imatorbhebhe intends to transfer

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 28, 2019.

1. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Blue, isn't that an assumption he would have panned out? How does not contributing 1 second to the team add up to a hurt? In fact, the opposite is most likely true in that he didn't really want to be at USC? His actions speak loudly. Everyone's decision should be their own. IMHO.

jumpy369 likes this.
  2. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Steven Mitchell?

3. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Technically, Mitchell improved each year stat-wise (minus his injury in '16), this is true.

Similar to Rogers, he did steadily improve. But I'd change the question a bit (cheating, I know), and argue Mitchell's stats are not even half of Deontay's in any meaningful category, in his best season. Mitchell was #14 in the PAC in yards and like 20th in TD's. I wouldn't call that "development", espcially considering Mitchell's pedigree coming out of HS, but it technically is "improvement", you are correct.

upload_2019-1-29_12-45-37.png

Attached Files:

4. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Does that mean Deontay didn't improve over the course of his three seasons? Wasn't he a Blueshirt? One of my former players who played with Deontay often raved about "how much better he's getting..." Does that mean he did it ALL on his own...I just don't get the whole, players NEVER develop and if they do, they did it THEMSELVES. Because 4-5 Star players don't become first round draft choices, that means they didn't develop? Isn't that what's always said, "So and so is a 4-5 Star, they'll be a first rounder"? I'm not looking for a fight, but, I just don't see the "they aren't developing" at all...with the exception of 2018s 5-7 record, SC won 21 games the previous two years (and the Pac-12 and the Rose Bowl)...there had to be some development for that to happened in order to win 21 games...it couldn't ONLY be Sam Darnold...otherwise, he'd have had even more successes this past fall, right? I agree, if SC is going to beat the OSU's, Bama's, NDs they're going to have to prepare better and play better, but, isn't that true of EVERY team who plays any of the other Top 1o teams in the Nation? Did Alabama all of a sudden not continue to develop when they played Clemson? No, they were beaten...soundly. Bama still has great players and coaches...just not that night.

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    earlandnic, KANDI11 and bell like this.
  5. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Son, you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck, wherever you go hope they throw the ball

6. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    The problem with these topics is you can dissect them in the micro, or nutshell them with "general" platitudes.

The way I'd convey my sentiments over what I saw/sensed for the '16/1'7 seasons, is how tenuous our success was. The SC team that ended the '15 season with Kessler losing to Wiscy, the obvious lack of cohesiveness in the OL that caused that and the decision to forego the practices pre-Bowl.

Analyze the SC team to start the '16 season with Browne, a team that could not move the ball, and the defense didn't look particularly good to start either. What really changed that season? Darnold!

The OL performance did not improve throughout the '16 season. Darnold was the perfect QB to escape the debacles the OL got him in, and Browne could not do that. The fine-line between a sub-.500 season and winning the PAC was Darnold's ability to escape pressure and make clutch throws...that's it.

I never said no players developed at SC; I was specifically referring to the WR's. I vividly recall Burnett breaking through the Summer/Fall camps his Fr. season. He caught Garry's eye early and earned Darnold's trust as the slot midway through the season. This was literally months after graduating HS, at about ~165 lbs no less. He definitely got better as he got bigger/stronger and became a more focal part of the offense. Does the staff deserve credit for that, some I suppose. He always had a different mentality than the other Fr. WR's...he just had an internal confidence that found a way on the field early on. Understanding the playbook had something to do with it, Mitchell had a lot of trouble syncing with Kessler, this led to INT's, this led to less playing time.

It took Vaughns a year to see the field, and he had less yards in '18 than in '17. Velus is relegated to "spot-duty", Pie Young is invisible. Hampton and Whitney were non-factors. Lewis, Dixon, Rashead, Angeline, Sydney, Imator and Grimes are goners. Falo is languishing. Petite can't catch (barely blocks). Krom is there.

Pittman has gotten progresively better. Chalk one up to the coaches.

7. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 29, 2019
    Not to worry; things happen for the best! Football players are like busses, miss one? no problem there'll be another one along in a few minutes. And, it's not how many "stars" they have ,,,, it's how bad they want to play for USC.

earlandnic and bell like this.
  8. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Jan 30, 2019
    And therein lies our differences in perspectives. Growth is a two-way street EVERY time...and MOST of it falls on the PLAYER. If the player is MOTIVATED to "get better every day", even poor coaching cannot hold him back...we agree on this point, correct? But if a player isn't motivated to improve his game, even GREAT coaching will not get to him. Therefore, it takes coaching and player DESIRE to show improvement over time and players reach their best at different times (some in high school, some in year one, some in four years, some never...and occasionally, some show improvement one season (Vaughns) then take a step back (pouty Vaughns). Hopefully, with player buy-in (to coach KCs ways and pushing), we'll see more ACROSS the board growth this season.

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

earlandnic likes this.
  9. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jan 30, 2019
    This just doesn’t sit right. Since when did we fall into being a ‘flavor-of-the-month’ school? IDK if this is wholly Helton’s fault, but WTF is happening?

10. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Jan 30, 2019
    I think this is a great point about individual desire. I remember reading that back in the early '60s, several USC players got together on their own to participate in home-grown, semi-secret strength training, even though the activity was still generally frowned upon by coaches ("You'll become muscle bound.") ... and the results were significant on the field. It wasn't until 1969 that program-wide, organized strength training really took off with Boyd Epley at Nebraska.

earlandnic and RB4SC like this.