WR Devon Williams enters NCAA transfer portal

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 11, 2019.

1. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    I'm surprised if you even watched that game, given your take's on TV. Same for the person that liked the post.

2. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    I think you are correct. If he can get into a school and complete an “academic year” he’s good to go. Doesn’t matter that he’s already played part of a sports season. Wow.

3. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    I think that he'll just have to sit out the first two games of 2020.

4. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Wish this dude would hang in there. His time will come.

biglouie and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. The Lizard King

Sep 13, 2019
    That ship has sailed.

Tamatoa916 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  6. TRP09

TRP09 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Long time lurker, I'm here every day but rarely post. Man, its crazy seeing the difference between the Sears portal thread and this Williams portal thread. Sears gets buried on the depth chart and all the posts were saying "Good for you Jack! If you're goal is to get to the NFL then go somewhere you're going to play! No hard feelings! Fight on!" There was nary a single negative comment. Whereas in this thread, Williams is buried on the depth chart and there are numerous posters calling him entitled and questioning his character for taking the easy way out and not wanting to compete. Why do you think that is?

SPYDER67, SonofGodzilla and CFB Fan like this.
  7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I think it's safe to assume that he has exercised very poor judgement. It's not a good look for him in terms of other programs who would do well to question his commitment.

gubo&palanka and mvpreed2 like this.
  8. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    In regards to Devon and Sears, I think the biggest difference is that Devon was #2 on the depth chart at WR, which means he is going to play a LOT and Sears was the #4 QB which means he aint seeing the field....EVER.

Devon entering the portal was an emotional reaction to the freshmen WRs getting in the game against Furd. It didn’t mean he was “buried” on the depth chart, just that more WRs were being used.

I still wish him the best and hope it works out for him because I think he is a really talented player with a huge upside.

AJSCFAN, gubo&palanka, L2Troy and 5 others like this.
  9. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    This is how I was going to explain it. Sears was not going to play, barring injuries to a couple folks, due to only being one QB on the field at a time. Williams WAS going to see plenty of action in an offense that rotates 7-9 WRs. Williams only issue was going to be, does he shine in those moments. So far, no and the 2 freshmen were looking better.

Next year, Pittman is gone for sure and TV, maybe. So you would think DV would feel good about being the starter. However, with Bru and Ford sitting there... big targets as well, maybe DVs thinking and confidence in having that spot is not so strong.

jjg4sc, Yup All Right and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  10. TRP09

TRP09 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    If last week is any indication then London and McClain are ahead of him, and most likely Ford and McCoy will be too when healthy. Sure, Pittman and Vaughns are gone next year, but that still leaves ARSB, Ford, McCoy, London, and McClain ahead of him. Williams being #2 at the X (or the Y, or the Z, or whatever the outside WR position is called) is in my opinion irrelevant. Through two games it seems as if Harrel's offense has all the WRs moving around the field, slot and outside, and that its the straight up 4 best WR that will be on the field as much as possible. The only reason to come out seems to be conditioning. So, in that sense, Williams is looking at 10-20 catches this year, and probably only 10-20 catches again next year as well barring significant improvement. I could be wrong, but to me that seems like the exact same situation as Sears. Is 10-20 catches worth it? He would need 2-3 injuries in front of him to see significant playing time, same as Sears would need. But maybe Williams gets significantly better and jumps up the depth chart you ask? Well maybe Sears would have gotten significantly better and jumped up the depth chart. While not identical, I see these situations as very similar, and it is just interesting to me to see the differences in response.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. Rodgarnay51

Sep 13, 2019
    We'll see.

12. Rodgarnay51

Sep 13, 2019
    Not to get off topic, but I thought Drake London looked great.

gubo&palanka and Pudly76 like this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Sep 13, 2019
    Wow was ARSB a beast Saturday or what?! Great catches and fighting for every yard. He's going to be a great one and he's already pretty darn good IMO.

But again relative to Williams, it's quite possible that 2020 will be ARSB's last year and Vaughns and Pittman will be gone. Williams' rash decision really makes you wonder if he wants to compete or be committed, at SC or anywhere else.

14. Rodgarnay51

Sep 13, 2019
    I wonder if Sears felt slighted or could see the handwriting on the wall with Slovis. . .

2blkk likes this.
  15. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Sears saw the depth chart on the wall.

AJSCFAN, RPBSC, DJ4SC and 2 others like this.
  16. The Lizard King

Sep 13, 2019
    Are you suggesting that racism is involved with our reactions to the two announcements?

I'm catching that vibe from your query.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  17. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Agreed.

So you asked how the difference in reactions could be explained, you got a very solid explanation, but since you think it's irrelevant, there's a problem? There is a very big difference between being named #2 and being named #4 of 4. Williams was being given an endorsement/encouragement by the coaching staff, Sears was being shown the door. And the other big factor, Sears is done with classes, will be collecting his diploma. That makes his decision to leave much more obvious.

AJSCFAN, 2blkk and gubo&palanka like this.
  18. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    For me, it would go a bit further than that.
    You are willing to leave what looks to be a situation built for you to succeed in, but you leave because you aren’t willing to wait your turn?
    Honestly, if he leaves USC, he won’t be able to go to another premier Power 5 program.

It wasn’t like he didn’t get reps.
    The same amount of reps London and the other freshman got, he got.
    The biggest difference is that they got the ball thrown to them and you didn’t?

Obviously, it should be said I am tapped into the program.
    There are things that have gone on behind the scenes that has lead to this, but from the window, this one doesn’t make sense AT ALL!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. TRP09

TRP09 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Not at all what I was suggesting. Genuinely curious and it seems I’ve gotten the answer

20. The Lizard King

Sep 13, 2019
    Uh huh.

gubo&palanka likes this.