WR Devon Williams enters NCAA transfer portal

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Agree. Very odd IMO.

2. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    It's the optics. Coaches use these kinds of examples when they negatively recruit against SC. People have probably been whispering in Devon's ear. I hope Helton can sort through it all and reel him back in.

3. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    If any of those "people" are on the Oregon coaching staff, it's called tampering.

4. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Now can you help me find my car? I'm sure I parked it around here somewhere.

He was (in my opinion) the standout guy at the last fall scrimmage. And here we are, less than a month later, watching him walk. As I said in that other thread, million dollar body, 10 cent head.

Well, if he can't beat out a bunch of freshmen (who appear to have half the physical talent he has), and he's not willing to compete, then goodbye. I wish you well Devon, but rarely in life is the grass greener on the other side of the fence (except when the UCLA players jump over it).

5. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Crazy. I thought you were just being a jerk in the other thread, but clearly you were onto something.

6. dsternli

dsternli Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Its a real shame because he looks explosive and with his height and speed could be deadly. The knock I heard on Devon is his hands. That could be why he is not getting more throws. I am sure he will be a tremendous asset to another program. The Trojans are loaded with receivers. London has hands and is tough Mcclain is no slouch. The starting 3 St Brown, Pittman, and Vaughns are studs. Now you have Kyle Ford and Bru Mccoy both 5 stars waiting in the wings. And another under utilized asset is the tight end who is almost a receiver Josh Falo (also hands are questionable). Overall to many big fish in the pond. I will venture to guess Williams will be able to pick just about any school with his talent.

7. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    I am beginning to dislike this Transfer Portal thing. Question, does SC get his scholarship back to use in the 2020 class?

8. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Tyler has dropped a few, but it seems a huge stretch to put him in the same boat with Williams

DJ4SC and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  9. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Are you sure you want Helton to reel him back in? The timing of it is very strange. Why now that the team is on a high? It doesn't exactly show Williams caring much about the team. Instant gratification, I guess.

gubo&palanka, VM805 and DJ4SC like this.
  10. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    In spite of a couple of camp observers saying Devon is the most talented receiver on the field in Fall Camp, both Drake London and Munir McClain are getting much more game time than Devon. I don't claim to understand the reasons behind this. It could be his hands. It could be his blocking. It could be his attitude (although he comes across well in interviews). In these situations you wonder if there is any behind-the-scenes tampering. Oregon wanted Devon badly out of high school. I'm virtually certain that is where he'll end up in the next few days. He's anticipating still being able to play next year for the Ducks in spite of catching a pass last Saturday. Not sure the exact rules about a transfer being allowed to do so after the start of the regular season, but since classes have not started at Oregon..possibly he can.

Seems a short-sighted decision on Devon, but assuming he talked to Clay an Graham before doing so, it is probably set in stone at this point.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    I think this staff is prone to playing favorites, but I don't see this as the case here. Devo was gettting decent PT despite a degree of inconsistency on the practice field. And if he was expecting to just start over Pitty and ARSB, he was expecting way too much.

He should stick it out, and see if he can earn the time above London. Both of those guys are in position to take snaps away from Tyler Vaughns, who has been hot and cold.

But you gotta take it. Potential doesn't get it handed to you.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    If he has bad hands, sounds like he’s better suited as a DB or Safety getting PBUs

13. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Sounds like he wanted to be the number one, without trying to earn it.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. SCTradition1

SCTradition1 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Bottom line is this is the Entitlement generation. Been patted on thier backs and told how great they are since day one of football. Then when challenged the poutyness comes out. The poor babies from Mommy and Daddy.. Man up son. Fight back. Everyone wants to microwave things. Sometimes you have to Bake things in life. Ijs!!. Just make sure you Pick a school where your the ONLY Wr on the team. Good Luck Son..

gubo&palanka and PickSicx like this.
  15. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Don’t you think Vaughn’s also has issues with Drop Balls? He’s dropped a few first two games and all were thrown on the money.

RB4SC likes this.
  16. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 11, 2019
    nope and not all were thrown on the money

Ride Fly likes this.
  17. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 11, 2019
    I must of been watching the wrong games.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Tusc2000 likes this.
  18. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 11, 2019
    Indeed we didn't

both drops had defenders

But this isn't about a couple of supposed drops, TV will show up in practice and translate it to the field. But DW couldn't do it in practice consistently and still looked to have trouble.