Would a Head Coach Change Affect Our Recruiting

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by AZTrojan38, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Would a Head Coach Change Affect Our Recruiting
    AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Jun 28, 2019
    This is just a hypothetical question for the board. While Clay Helton is not my favorite choice to be the head coach of the USC football team, I will always root for us to win. Should we start slow this coming season and should Clay Helton be relieved of his head coaching duties, would someone (hypothetically) like Urban Meyer or similar, be able to come in right away and secure players we're not likely going to get like Kelee Ringo, Elias Rick's, Kendall Milton, Bijan Robinson, Johnny Wilson, etc. or is the 2020 recruiting class already just destined to be a down year? My thoughts are securing some of those names just listed along with Justin Flowe who is a CAN'T MISS target for USC along with maintaining the commitment of Bryce Young or flipping DJ Uiagalelei, would give USC a really great recruiting class. Also hope we land studs like Myles Murao, Darion Green-Warren, Mookie Cooper, Kourt William's, Damian Sellers and LV Bunkley-Shelton.

TrojanFireHorse12 and Hockey10 like this.

2. USC15

USC15 Points Member

Jun 28, 2019
    We are in good position for Mookie, Murao, and Green-Warren. Doing well with Elias, Bijan, and Flowe right now so just need to win. I think with early signing period where it is now it'll be extremely hard for any coach to come in and win recruits after a down year. There just isn't enough time to build any relationship.

Would not be surprised if schools start complaining about ESD because of this. If you get a new coach in the old system you were going to be set back a year anyways but still could build relationships for that year's recruiting class in January and February. Now with ESD being in December you're screwed if you fire your coach and hire a new one. You have like two weeks to make a recruiting class. You're left with scraps in January and February. Almost better off taking 10-15 recruits to save scholarships for future classes

TrojanFireHorse12 and Hockey10 like this.
  3. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jun 28, 2019
    Wins solve everything

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  4. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jun 28, 2019
    Pairing the right “name” with the USC brand, would turn some prospects out way if for no other reason because it would be like the new girl at school.

To be clear, HCCH is not a BAD coach, he just needs to make some adjustments and let the coaches coach.

5. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 28, 2019
    I think hiring a new HC like UM would have an immediate impact on recruiting. If he was announced as our new HC today I believe we would get top recruits committing to us before we played or won a single game this year. No one would want to miss the boat. Helton however has to proove he can win this year before the top recruits will commit and many may be already signed at the early signing period.

gubo&palanka and Trojan12 like this.
  6. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Jun 28, 2019
    Will the Urban Meyer WORSHIP ever subside? I have a very difficult time believing SC would bring him in with his backstories...especially in light of SC’s current scandalous CHALLENGES...
    McKay didn’t have a winning past prior to SC, neither did PETE! If HCCH cannot right the ship, there’ll be PLENTY of suitors and not all of them will be carrying a train car full of BAGGAGE.

For now, I’m focusing on THIS season and the possibilities for SUCCESSES!

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

7. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Jun 29, 2019
    I should have clarified my question in my initial post a bit better...I am all about winning this season and want to see this team and this coaching staff go undefeated and win a National Championship. My question should have been... with the new early signing period, should we struggle out the gate and hypothetically go 2-5 or 3-4, etc. , and we then relieve Clay Helton as head coach, is their anyone out there (not just Urban Meyer), that we could hire as our new HC that could come in right away and instantly bring enough credibility that the recruiting season wouldn't be a bust? With the wait and see approach that USC forced itself to be in with recruits with such a porous season last year, I feel like if we stumble out of the gate and fire HCCH mid season, it would have a disastrous effect on recruiting unless an announcement was made immediately after the firing of the hiring of a major name new Head Coach with some serious credibility.

Bottom line, I just want to see this team win and get back to greatness regardless of who the coach is. I just know its virtually impossible to be a dominant program without elite recruiting and elite recruits want to play for elite coaches as well as elite programs.

As you said....Fight On Forever

8. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Recruits want to play for winners. Coaches become elite after they get and develop talent. Neither saban, dabo or Pete we’re “winners” in their first seasons. They became elite because they brought in potential talent and turned it into real talent. Don’t know of anyone who started as an elite coach...except maybe charlie weiss.

9. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 29, 2019
    It seems like Clay Helton is finally learning to be a HC.
    Perhaps a year too late but better late than never.
    It only gets harder the bigger the hole you dig for yourself
    But hope he succeeds.

10. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Having a coaching change this season would be horrible for those that are in the class (don't want to lose Bryce Young especially) and for the potential recruits that had interest before, such an event. Also yes winning, stability and showcasing is everything to a healthy national outlook, i mean the buzz around the program.

If we go 4-o and continue on a upward trajectory? than they will come and postive things will reflect on to themselves.

So i'm surely hoping for a big bounce back season, instead of the alternative.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  11. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    No offense but this is based on what? Swann forcing him to make changes? Would he have if Swann didn't step in? We are all hanging are hopes on Harrell saving the team. Helton is still running the same soft practices. People are making excuses for Clancy's D that has always statistically been average with elite players. This year it is playing with basically a new back 7. Having light Houston who gets dragged down field most tackles at MLB. Where do you see improvement on D? Will Special Teams put the right amount of players on the field? Helton will still be making decisions. Will he bench a player who consistently mis-snaps the ball or will he defend him by calling him the Love of His Life? Will he call two timeouts in a row? Will he make halftime adjustments? Will he play the best players? Will he finally have physical practices as his captain of the team asked for? ECT ect ect. Where and what has he shown that he is finally becoming a good HC? We are all die hard USC fans and some just want to win so much you are desperately hoping everything is all of a sudden better. Helton hasn't proven anything yet. Not to the recruits, not to polls, not to the fans, and not to me.

biglouie, usc1011, racea911 and 2 others like this.
  12. TrojanFireHorse12

Jun 29, 2019
    Can't give you answers to questions, you already made your mind up about.

Maybe read the post reports...
    On another note

No single coach is gonna fix USC imo

They have to fix themselves first, from top to bottom and put the money up, an hire the staff and coaches to make real change from the AD to the Athletic program in general. Because frankly, i don't think it's being ran to the best of its ability.

Now maybe we'll get that with the new President and her picks down the line.

Especially if this season is wash, gonna be a lot of spotlights on Helton regardless.

13. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    This isn't true. Again timing and who makes a big difference. Hypothetically if Saban, Dabo, PC, was announced to be being hired as our HC at the end of the season it wouldn't matter at what point of the season we were in. All major recruits would come and any we have committed would stay. No disaster. However if we had to fire Helton mid season it would be very difficult to convince an employed top notch coach to announce he was coming to USC at the end of the season and therefore recruiting would possibly suffer. If most recruits aren't coming because they don't want to play for Helton and he gets fired they may hold off on signing early and wait to see who we hire. For a lot of Ca recruits USC is their dream school and would commit if the right coach was hired.

gubo&palanka and Trojan12 like this.
  14. TrojanFireHorse12

Jun 29, 2019
    It is true and we are saying the same thing in reverse.

Or did you forget 2016? and things are much different than the past few years, with the early period. Won't be much left, if this season goes poorly and Helton gets fired, an the staff gets let go in season or after. Its not gonna be pretty and that's common sense. Regardless of USC's status as some recruits "dream" school, if the program is unstable then its an up hill battle.

Also so far the front office hasn't been to good with hiring top notch coaches. They've mostly lucked into them over the past years (as i said) and that's a fact, so no guarantee either.

Pudly76 likes this.
  15. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Do you honestly believe this? I'm know fan of the man UM but the football coach? If the rumors are true he would bring the elite recruits and instant credibility to this team. In year one odds are we would play in a top Bowl game and in year 2 or 3 USC with UM name attached as the possible first coach to win a NC with 3 different teams would be to big to leave out of the playoffs. The money would pour back into the University. Season tickets, merchandise, marketing. I don't know if the University could and if someone has the answer please inform us but with all this extra money the University may be able to pay out some of their lawsuits. If not atleast afford salaries of coaches to continue having success.

TXTrojan_itul1, racea911 and Trojan12 like this.
  16. oc trojan

oc trojan Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Funny how you all refer to him as UM now instead of CUM.

17. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Jun 30, 2019
    If it happens soon enough it could help a lot. Just have to hope not too many of the top guys are signed early. It would be nice if there was a way to get back in on the Las Vegas TE or the top QB

18. TrojanFireHorse12

Jun 30, 2019
    It would be suicide to hire UM, at this moment.

Just from the optics alone and more bad optics isn't what USC needs right now (fresh out), already got enough bad press. To turn around and invite more question's of rather or not USC values itself more over victims and abuse, like UM did. The barring of which would not look good for the new President and the claims of things changing.

Plus UM is super difficult and i don't think USC would give up full control, like he'd want. Let alone put up the type of cash to pay him, like we all know that the school has the type of cash flow to shell out because of legal losses.

But that is different than wanting to shell out millions of dollars to things like Football and actually, use it in functional ways. I mean when you got schools like Syracuse and Minnesota or Texas and Tennessee seemingly doing more and being smarter with their upgrades. Like actually hiring compete AD's instead of former players 24/7. Sometimes you have to wonder why things are so unfocused and by the seat of their pants at USC that regard, especially with the sort of funds and influence it has in sports and education.

You'd think that USC football would be up their with the best in terms of support and yet.....

In either case, i don't think the new President will be to focused on Football for a while, as she has other much bigger issues to deal with.

That's the reality imo.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  19. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Jun 30, 2019
    I'll tell you what scares me, where there's smoke, there's fire; why am I seeing stories on multiple sites claiming Alabama could steal Bryce Young from us? This would be an unmitigated disaster unless we flipped DJ Uiagalelei. It would also be an unmitigated disaster to not sign Justin Flowe. Flowe playing along side Palaie would be shades of Rey Maualuga and Brian Cushing.