World Championships and USC Track

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by fansincearnett, Oct 1, 2019.

1. World Championships and USC Track
    fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Several former SC athletes are doing well in the world track championships. Andre DeGrasse came in 3rd in the 100 and second in the 200 with Aaron Brown gaining the finals in both events. Mike Norman is the favorite in the 400 finals. Rai Benjamin got a silver in the 400 hurdles. For the women, Muhammah should medal in the 400 hurdles and current sprinter Annelus should medal in the 200. Former student Felix got a gold in the 1600 relay.

Looks like everyone came back to SC except Owens who went to Michigan. SC got some excellent high school tracksters to enroll. For the men, sprinters Borquez, Chiston, Herron and Ramey. The women got two supers from Florida schools--Folston and Ford plus a couple of others. Just have to keep them healthy!

CrownoftheValley and trackdude like this.

2. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Junior Member

Oct 3, 2019
    Michael Norman got scared and didn't try in the 400 semifinals. I realize that will be disputed but I'll stick with it...emphatically. I have followed this sport all my life, including covering the track team for the Daily Trojan. This is a mano y mano sport with tremendous egos involved. Elite track athletes often can't stand to acknowledge that someone else was superior. That's why there are so many instances of bad hamstrings and sudden pained facial expressions with 20 meters remaining and an insurmountable deficit.

Norman upset Noah Lyles earlier in the year. He expected the remainder of the season to go smoothly for himself and also Rai Benjamin. But once Fred Kerley upset Norman in the American championships a few months ago, you could see that Norman was stunned. Kerley wasn't someone who could be dismissed as a one-time fluke. This was a freakish young talent just a couple of years earlier, but who had two inexplicably poor years. Michael Norman now has a domestic problem who is every bit as gifted as he is.

Benjamin lost to the Norwegian guy and suddenly found injury excuses. I think that outcome impacted Michael Norman. He sensed that he wasn't at his best and would likely lose also, to Kerley and perhaps others. That would be a lingering mental taxation throughout the offseason. Far more convenient to just jog around the track in last place during the semifinal, and then confuse the heck out of everybody with your vague non-explanation.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 3, 2019
    I hate what you're saying but I know it's very true when an ego-driven athlete, as sprinters are, get beat and the "injury" excuse comes up. I've seen it in a lot of sports, definitely soccer, but sprinters are "other level". I just want Norman to get healthy physically, mentally, emotionally so he can win Gold next year.

4. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Hmmm, I've been pondering this and I'm not sure if this describes Norman. I have no evidence either way so it's just me and my perceptions of the outcome, but in my limited encounters with the coaches & Michael your assessment just doesn't add up for me where Michael is concerned. Like you, I have been around the sport many years so your 'ego' description is a reminder of how some of these athletes respond to the pressure.

DISCLAIMER: I have a serious USC T&F bias so my first response was to believe Michael's explanation he gave after the race (Rai's too). Your explanation is something that I hadn't considered at the time.

uscvball likes this.
  5. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Oct 7, 2019
    I agree with you Trackdude. Norman is not the type to make excuses. Injury happens to athletes. I believe him when he said he has had an injury since the summer meets. It was a smart move to not push it (semi finals). The Olympics is next year. Heal and treat the injury, then start up serious training when everything feels right. Norman's times and wins speaks for itself. He is top 3 400 runner in the world.

Hope MN heals and his injury is not serious. Fight On Michael Norman