Women's Volleyball

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by tjfan001, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Women's Volleyball
    tjfan001

tjfan001 Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    They just cannot finish games. Leading 2-0 and lost to Utah. This has been the trademarks of the Women of Troy.

It's time to make a change at the top - just like our football needing new leaders.

2. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    I AGREE, AT LEAST...

...on the women's volleyball part. Ditto women's basketball and baseball. My attitude is any USC coach who doesn't have national championship aspirations, with a practical roadmap to get there, doesn't belong.

3. Hb4sc

Hb4sc Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019

I don't remember Mick Haley having these problems. Perhaps his firing was a big mistake as the women's program has dipped a bit ever since.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    I'm not sure it was a mistake simple because of current results. Mick's teams had been heading that direction too for a few years. His recruiting classes weren't what they used to be. There was always the talk in the volleyball community about Mick's coaching style and strained relationships with players.

I thought it was probably time for a change.

A year ago, I said this....

"I think it was time for Mick to move on but yes, I think we would have at least 2 or 3 more conference wins. The issue now is that Mick could recruit and Crouch isn't there yet. It's always tough to move on at the same level after a player like Bricio. As with other USC programs, Lynn didn't put much thought into Crouch. There were better but we didn't even try."

So we have Lynn no-show Swann making an ill-informed hire. Shocking.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  5. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 14, 2019
    AGREED...

...I saw some of the same signs. I feel sorry for the likes of Lanier who deserve to be playing for national championships.

6. tjfan001

tjfan001 Junior Member

Oct 15, 2019
    The most famous meltdown on Mick's team was the 2015 regional final vs Kansas. The No. 1 USC led 13-9 in the 5th set and collapsed, dropping 6 consecutive points. They kept feeding the ball to Samantha Bricio, even when she was in the back row, and she was stopped cold by the double team every single time. Then there was a mishandle by the setter (forgot her name, she played first year then dropped), and a service ace by Jayhawks that Women of Troy players thought it was going out. A total disaster!!

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 16, 2019
    That match IMO was most impacted by Alicia Ogoms' asthma attack. Without her at MB, we weren't the same team. Alyse Ford was just a freshman. Baylee had her worst match....she left school because of grades although I think there was tension with Mick.

8. Turt4SC

Turt4SC Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    After an overall disappointing year, still unable to close out matches, I'm hoping they can play to their potential in the tourney...

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Have you seen the bracket? We won't get past the second match against Baylor.

10. Turt4SC

Turt4SC Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Yes, I know. Play to their potential means beat Stephen F Austin and win a set off if a Baylor.

11. Turt4SC

Turt4SC Junior Member

Dec 7, 2019
    After leading 17-12, then losing the first set, Women of Troy were done. Baylor looked very impressive sweeping us (obviously, they are ranked #1 for a reason). Wouldn't be surprised to see them in Pittsburgh. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to going to the final four. Never been.

12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Good Lord....he's leaving for Auburn, AL where the Lady Tigers went 7-22 overall and 1-17 in conference. Lol.

"The first words Allen Greene spoke when I asked him what makes Auburn special were, with no hesitation, 'The Auburn Family. It's a real thing here,'" Crouch said. "Over the past several weeks of getting to know Auburn and the athletic department, I came to learn some of what he meant. This is an elite athletic program, and yet it is as warm, hospitable and passionate as any place I have been."

Gut punch. But wait, there's more....
    "Once I knew I was aligned with the core values, mission and the specific vision of volleyball at Auburn outlined by Allen Greene, it was a simple decision to come on board."

Great job managing your coaches, Lynn Swann. Crouch put it out there....lack of values, no mission, no vision. The team played mostly uninspired volleyball all season. That is reflected in Crouch's comments here.

13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Hardly an exhaustive search. I am a tad underwhelmed. Kills me to say it but I hope he's spent enough time, even in periphery, around Kiraly to have learned how to coach at a different level. And let's see if Bohn knows how to give a shit about the minor sports at USC.

Turt4SC likes this.
  14. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 20, 2020
    Quote from Bohn about Keller:

“His mastery of the Southern California recruiting landscape will be a difference-maker for our program.”

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    To have recruited well in volleyball in Southern California is like saying a hockey coach recruited well in Michigan. There is so much talent here, it's unreal. However, we need to do better not only keeping it local but getting past programs like Texas, Penn State, and Stanford.

And a side note....I'm still unsure as to what impact all the scandals have had on football players but for the minor sports? I think it could play in to the decision, particularly with parents.