Women's Soccer: FSU wins on penalties

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by norcalsurfer, Nov 18, 2018.

2. MediaCapital

MediaCapital Member

Nov 18, 2018
    Sucky weekend for USC athletics! Men’s Water Polo bombed out so they’ll be lucky to make the NCAA playoffs.
    Good seasons for both Women’s Soccer and Men’s Water Polo but ultimately not good enough. Both squads have a ton of young talent though so a lot of optimism for the future.

3. SDTroy

SDTroy Junior Member

Nov 18, 2018
    Terrible weekend

Soccer
    WP
    Vball Down 2-0 at ASU who have lost 11 straight !

Insult to injury ...OC - SC trf Alyse Ford now at ASU is destroying us . Why did she transfer. ?
    Btw. Lanier is still out .
    Not cleared to return yet ?
    Collided 2 weeks ago w teammate

Lost weekend .

FO

4. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Nov 20, 2018
    I hate penalty kicks. Shrink the goal, pull the goalie and play it out but get rid of the penalty kicks.

5. bell

bell Active Member

Nov 20, 2018
    YEAH, THOSE PENALTY KICKS, BUT...

...it's hard to have them keep playing for the team that advances because with tired legs they could be slaughtered if the next match has a quick turnaround. I think it's fair to all since the rules were clearly spelt out going in. SC had been done in in the past by penalty kicks (had they converted against Colorado (?) and UCLA, they could have achieved a higher seeding) but this time it appeared they made four out of five with Florida St making all five of theirs. While I wish they could have made them all, it's hard to complain about that when even some world class male and female players choke under similar circumstances.

With the mostly bad news in SC sports lately I was hoping the women's soccer would provide some consolation but once again we have to wait till next year. Leah Pruitt will be missed but I hope recruiting is going well. In the type of players recruited and during training, hard-nosed toughness needs to be emphasized. I don't think we've responded with toughness in matches that demand it, unlike the 2016 squad. Again, it won't surprise me to learn that we didn't do a good job converting chances created. But I don't want to be too hard on them with Fl St having the gift of home field.

All that said, I hope those directing affairs understand that we and the rest of the west coast can become the dominant region in NCAA women's soccer. Everything must be done to bring this about. We shouldn't lose control like we did with women's basketball - few would believe that SC was once a repeat champion in the 80's - which is now practically a south & east coast thing.

I don't know how NCAA scholarship rules affect recruiting but I'm sure if SC emphasizes women's soccer and proves it by doing such things as upgrading McAllister Field, it could attract talents nationwide. Also, coach Kadine McAlpine must be retained unless a more accomplished and well known coach is at hand.

6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 23, 2018
    I never heard a reason. I suspect it's either grades since she was a post spring xfer or the fact that Haley had left and there was no assurance of playing time with a new coach. I honestly don't think we missed her that much. At 5'10", despite major hops, she just wasn't tall enough for OH. She got blocked mercilessly. She never quite figured hitting around, I mean every single time, she tried to power it through.