Women's Soccer: 3-2 loss to ucla in 2OT

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by norcalsurfer, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Women's Soccer: 3-2 loss to ucla in 2OT
    norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Women's soccer scored around the 86 minute only for ucla to tie it up seconds later. Probably going to SC a good seed but hopefully the loss puts a fire in their belly ala 2016 title run after a ucla loss.

2. MediaCapital

MediaCapital Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Coulda shoulda... this is a great USC team, but they didn’t play like it.
    hope we bring in some better defenders next year who are aggressive. The last two UCLA goals were embarrassingly poorly defended.

Hailie Mace proved why she’s on the national team. She was like a pro.

3. bell

bell Active Member

Nov 4, 2018
    AS I’VE OBSERVED ELSEWHERE…

…USC’s poor rate of converting chances to goals could cost it. And it did against UCLA at the Stub Hub Center before a crowd of about 10,000.

I’m always worried in this game because UCLA always seems more intense and to want it more than SC. To my surprise, this was not the case Friday. SC dominated and were more physical and they sustained it throughout the first half. They created chances but could not capitalize, coming out of the first half with a one-goal lead. UCLA upped their game in the second half and scored to level things. It came out of a turnover by senior forward Leah Pruitt with UCLA quickly taking advantage.

SC had a great opportunity to change the shape of things when the ref awarded a (legitimate) penalty kick after Pruitt was pulled down in the UCLA “eighteen” by two UCLA defenders. But McKeown sent the ball over the bar without forcing the UCLA keeper Micah to make a save. The announcers noted that the previous week SC had also missed a penalty against Utah, costing it two points with a draw. I can recall also that a few weeks ago SC also missed a penalty kick taken by midfielder DeMelo. So it seems USC has a problem with them and should be a point of emphasis during practices as they head to the playoffs.

A much needed goal came at the right time with less than four minutes to go in the match. The players went into jubilation as thought the match was all but over and I found myself hoping that the coach would yell at them to get their heads back in the game and assume a total defensive posture. But barely had TV returned to the action on the field than I saw a shot sailing into the SC net. UCLA had responded. Within seconds. Older folks know it’s never over till it’s over but these are mostly teenage girls so we’ll give them some slack.

The most painful moment came in the second overtime. UCLA kicked a ball into the USC “eighteen” where redshirt sophomore keeper Collins (she’s a good one and getting better) and a defender were positioned. Apparently, there was a miscommunication, the defender leaving the ball for the keeper, and the keeper thinking the defender had it. Unfortunately, there was a UCLA hanging between them to nod it in. And end the game.

Luckily for USC, though a battle has been lost but there’s still a war to be fought. USC will get a less favorable seeding in the playoffs but, who knows, the opponent and location could be in their favor. They can win the whole thing but they won’t be the favorite. They must clean their mistakes to help their chances.

4. MediaCapital

MediaCapital Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I agree with you. I’d like to point out that it wasn’t just miscommunication on that last UCLA goal. No defender came out to pressure the ball, so the UCLA girl was free to pass it in perfectly.

4th seed sucks after having been ranked #2. At least it could be worse. SC played their draw’s #1 Florida State to a tie earlier in the season. Long Beach shouldn’t be a problem, though potential second rounder LSU seems to be rolling well right now.

5. bell

bell Active Member

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    USC SHOULD BE FAVORED AGAINST LBSU BUT...

...there's a reason the NCAA is insisting the match be played: anything can happen. Coach KM needs to clearly remind his young wards of this insisting that the only weak team is the one you've eliminated. They cannot repeat the same youthful mistake they made against UCLA again. USC will get chances against LB - and their goalkeeping appears vulnerable - but they need to improve their finishing.