Wisconsin AD sees red future

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Wisconsin AD sees red future
    Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Asking fans to donate to make up $60 million if 10 games played . If no games played 100 million losses. He said 5 months ago had 70 million surplus. Will our AD get support from fans in fund rising?

gubo&palanka likes this.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Lol, post most stuff while eating or watching SC dvds

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020
    I don't see why they have to pay coaches their full salary and no prorated for amount of games. If all compensation for entire NCAA FB staff/AD's/HC's/coaches were prorated to amount of games played, they wouldn't be so in the red.

I don't see the argument for wanting to keep pay whole for less games/season worked.

Here's a another question (sort of on topic), is a scholarship for online classes worth the same as in-person classes in years past? Does it cost a school same amount to hold an online class? Is the opportunity for academic excellence just as good?

4. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020
    You mean other than the contractual obligation to pay them what was promised? I seriously doubt their contracts had a coronavirus clause in it...

Unlike ours, Wisconsin's full staff has earned their pay.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020
    So you're arguing if there's no season...at all, all should get paid same amount? So no traveling, no gamedays, no post-game meetings, no Friday walk-thru's, but all get same pay?

Man, nice work if you can get it...

6. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020
    You do know that here in the US, we have these things called “laws”. One of them says you must honor the contracts you agree to.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Same with pro athletes. Get injured for days/weeks/months... same pay. Shoot, out for the season? Still getting paid! It's a contract. Lots of wasted money, yes. Seems unfair, but that's contractual law.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  8. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    Completely different, if the injury was work-related. That's an acceptable risk a team is willing to take, to eat that salary. Also, we're talking about onesy-twosy injuries for players, rather than an entire coaching staff/AD/Conf Prez/videographers/trainers that aren't working a season...slightly different circumstance I'd say.

9. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    You do know that here in the US, teachers and others positions at colleges have had to take furlough days due to covid? They've had their pay reduced 20% (they do get some unemployment relief for that lost income), but it's not the school district paying for that. Many companies have gone to a furlough model to ease the burden for employees whose position can't be worked normally.

I get coaches/AD's are not subject to those types of mandates like we simple employees might be, but there must be other costs a school program can adjust to try and ease that delta from other seasons' revenue.

And if there's not, that would be somewhat unethical to make taxpayer cover these already exorbitant salaries for half the work. That truly would be something to be outraged over...rather many clutching their pearls about players wanting more of the pot.

10. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    Funny but scary at the same time. Better red than dead.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    The difference is being under contract. Are teachers under contract?

Btw, have you volunteered to reduce your pay? You sound really comfortable talking about reducing others' pay...

12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    I'm very comfortable NOT volunteering my tax money to cover public positions (not SC) to pay them ridiculous salaries, and now...for some/no work. I'm comfortable with that. I guess you'd have to call me conservative with my/your tax money.

13. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    Whoa, you’re starting to sound like a Trump supporter. I thought you were on the progressive side.

I hear you on the wasted dollars, but Wisky’s staff are overachievers who earn their pay. You want to bash on Helton or Larry Scott, feel free...

14. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    Injury is out of the athletes' hands; COVID and all it brings is out of the coaching staffs' hands. It's not the coaches that made the decisions to either restrict or forego the football season, so why penalize them for something totally out of their control? If I'm any judge as a teacher, they are chomping at the bit to have a normal season. And, I'm guessing, they are still putting in TONS of time and work in the areas of communications, making sure the players are staying fit and ready, etc. I have no idea what all goes into college football coaching, but if it's anything like teaching remotely these days, there's actually more work that goes into it right now.

15. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    I wish posters that thought like you were more sympathetic/empathetic to teachers as you are being. We have posters on here basically calling teachers grifters/opportunists for staying home during this pandemic...and nary a protest from other posters to set the record straight in defense.

AnArchitect and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  16. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    It’s no different than what the players would expect what was promised to them.
    I’m sure you would agree that pulling all or part of their scholarship or stipend would be a bad thing?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  17. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    It's not the teachers it's the very powerful reunions I have a problem with. I'm sure they're getting their mandatory dues whether the schools open or not.

18. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    There are several teachers I know that should be fired. That’s not to say all teachers are bad; some are outright heroes. But let’s just say that there are more than a few bad apples in that particular barrel.

19. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Aug 9, 2020
    I assume most fan bases want their coaches out recruiting and doing all of the off-field stuff, even if games aren't played. That's why you can't pro-rate the coach's salaries to games played.