Will the 2019 class have the biggest impact in USC history? (from Rich Ruben)

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 23, 2019.

2. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Wow, what a great write-up! My SC grad Dad took to games starting in the late 60's so I've seen all the classes mentioned.
    I think the '86 class had the best chance for final 4 if they stuck together. I'd take those 3 over any of the other classes. What a disappointment when the 3 players left and had such great success.
    The '68 class would have made a run at the Final 4 if they made the tourney.
    It is so difficult to predict the current roster and next year with all the new players and the 1-and-done.

Off topic, what are potential fixes for the low attendance and lack of student interest? Do we cater too much to the donors? How about a recurring ND-SC home/away in basketball?

3. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben New Member

Sep 23, 2019
    I have a few ideas about increasing home attendance and basketball interest, which I will address in a future column. I’ve thought for a long time that an S.C.-ND yearly game makes sense. Would love to see home BBall game played the same weekend (maybe even the same day) as the home football game if the football game is at 5 or later.

4. bell

bell Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    ONE SC GREAT THAT'S RARELY MENTIONED

He was a 6'10" center from Oakland who played in the early 80's. ( can't say much about the recruiting class without further research but I know they were a very good team, played well against then-powerful UCLA and made the NCAA tournament. Stan Morrison may have been their coach)

His name was Cliff Robinson and was All-American before his junior year. He had a mid-range shot at a time when, unlike today, not many could shoot from the outside. And he was very effective inside. He was a good rebounder and was able to lead the break handling the ball.

He left after his sophomore year and was a high-first round pick to Kansas City (?). Unfortunately, injuries prevented him from achieving his potential as a pro. I know much about SC recruiting classes over the years including the Kimble/Gathers/Lewis, OJ Mayo, Sam Clancy, Harold Miner classes but there's not one player I'd take over Robinson whose trademark was a white headband.

Does the author know of him?

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  5. MU5CLE

MU5CLE Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    What is interesting about Cliff Robinson was the high school graduating class, 1977, he was part of. That 77’ - 78’ academic year at SC included Cliff in bball and Ronnie Lott in football. Both were freshmen in different sports. I was part of that high school class but I didn’t get an athletic scholarship to SC.

Those were the days...

6. bell

bell Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    WHAT SPORT/POSITION DID YOU PLAY?

Ronnie Lott is definitely one of my all-time favorite SC football players, along with Robinson in BB. I was thinking about a red zone blitz he had against Warren Moon/UDub (?) when Hufanga did something similar against Huntley/Utah in the Coliseum this past weekend.

Another of my all-time favorite player, safety Dennis Smith, was in that class too and played with Lott. He was an All-American and had a successful career with Denver and Elway. I consider also to be one of the all-time greats but hardly gets mentioned here. Maybe he doesn't participate in events enough.

7. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Sep 25, 2019
    I was just informed of Paul Westphal being inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame. I have followed Paul's career from when he was playing at USC with Ron Riley , Mo Layton and others and through his professional career as a player and a coach. Westphal was a true competitor in both professions. I am so happy to hear this good news. He truly deserved the honor. Congratulations to him , his family, and the Trojan Family.

Carlsport likes this.
  8. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Ive assumed all along he was already a HOFer....great player....

9. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Oct 3, 2019
    The basketball program is going in opposite direction of football
    This is one hire Haden got correct

10. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 3, 2019
    Recruiting wise yes but the program still hasn’t reached the sweet 16 since 2007. Other programs have done with less and have reached there. Imo this year it’s elite 8 or bust. I don’t think Enfield would get fired after this year if he doesn’t reach the sweet 16 but we pretty much know his ceiling. This wouldn’t be much different from Sean Miller and Steve Alford losing early in the tournament despite having top 5 recruiting classes every year.

11. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Except SC has little basketball history, limited fan support and no current AD. Just making the NCAA tournament is reason to keep what we have. I think Enfield is an A recruiter and a C coach, but that averages to a B and is probably as good as this relatively unsupportive fan base deserves. We need to start getting at least 50% attendance before we talk about not having an elite coach...

Trojanineugene likes this.
  12. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 4, 2019
    By this logic the football fan base deserves Nick Saban or urban Meyer. If Enfield didn’t have the top recruits coming in sure usc fans should stay quiet about the lack of progress in the program but when you have the Mobley’s and Elijah weaver coming in you should do a lot better than to struggle in a weak pac back to back years. Ucla, Washington, and Oregon have all won either a regular season title/conference tourney title. It’s enfield’s 7th year and I expect him to win the conference title or an elite 8 appearance, whether the fans deserve it or not.

13. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I don't disagree that SC deserves Urban or Nick for football, but actually don't think attendance is on par, nor is our AD with the Buckeyes or the Tide.

As for hoops, here are the average attendance figures for past two seasons (with conference record finish and recruiting finish next to it):

Zona - 14,100 (4 top 3 finishes in conf last 5 years with 5 top 3 recruiting classes in conf)
    Oregon - 8,400 (3 top 3 finishes in last 5 years with 4 top 3 classes)
    UCLA - 8,400 (2 top 3 finishes in last 5 years with 3 top 3 classes)
    Wash - 7,300 (1 top 3 finish in last 5 years with 1 top 3 class)
    SC - 3,900 (11th in conference) (1 top 3 finish in last 5 years with 1 top 3 class)

Also, SC's recruiting, while good, is not Elite 8 worthy. SC has not finished higher than 3rd in Conference in recruiting for past 5 years. Based on above, SC's conference standing is pretty close to its recruiting (in fact slightly higher percentage of finish:recruiting) debunking that Enfield doesn't get anything out of his players.

And we've had ex-football players with no experience as our AD's. How do you expect to get a better coach than Enfield? The fact that he has had good recruiting, despite the poor attendance, AD support and hoops history, is just short of miraculous.

Also, don't forget the Melton mess - he should have been playing - and if he was we would have won the Conference and likely made a run in NCAA's. And Usher leaving mid-year last year along with what apparently was the worst injured finger of all-time for O'Bannon, cost the team a lot.

Looking at this season, if you average the last 4 national recruiting rankings, SC would come in at 22, which would translate to Round of 32, maybe Sweet 16. Since the Freshman class is big and higher ranked (#3), lets bump that up to Elite 8 this year, though if the attendance stays sorry, they will undoubtedly lose a game or two they could have one with a better crowd, which will hurt seeding. So Sweet 16 is probably a good target.

The narrative that Enfield is bad and not good enough for SC is simply not true.

You don't have to like the above, you don't have to accept the above, but you have to understand reality and treat the situation rationally.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    eliminator207 and MediaCapital like this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I thought Cliff Robinson was a great player at SC. One of my favorites. Based on how he played at SC, I would take him over all the players you mention except Mayo.

15. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Oct 6, 2019
    My all time SC team would be Paul Westphal, Gus Williams, Ron Riley, Cliff Robinson and John Rudometkin.

16. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 10, 2019
    THANKS

I'm happy there's at least one other person who's giving Cliff Robinson the recognition he deserves. Actually, I'd take him over Mayo even though he wasn't as hyped coming to college. He was more versatile and efficient, and playing at center could impact the game more.