Why is Matt Corral transferring from Oaks Christian?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by willusc, Feb 12, 2017.

2. allaboutball

allaboutball Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    One rumor is he got in a fight with Wayne Gretzkys son but who really knows.

3. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017

One year for high sticking?

4. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    No idea who's at fault or what will come of it, but could you imagine a HS with kids of Will Smith, Wayne Gretzky, Joe Montana...all mixed in with players like Clausen and Malik Henry? There's not a stadium big enough for all those egos and entitlement.

And to think...we got a good one in WR Pittman and a tolerable one in RB Tyler from this school.

Try outcompeting the other parents in the auctions or outmuscling some Moms at the PTA meetings...good luck!

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/southern-cal-qb-commit-matt-corral-im-not-transferring-to-img

5. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Oak Christian must have a deep QB bench to let Matt Corral go. Why couldn't the administrators clean this issue up before the testosterone hit the fan?

6. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    No matter who is at fault, this raises red flags

Making a prediction.....
    He ends up at more than one college too, and will think himself ready for the NFL at first eligibility

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    From his twitter.....

Gretzky has only one son still high school age and that would be Tristan who turned 16 in August. Could be, but conjecture it is.

8. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Name me a private elementary or high school that ISN'T biased towards money....

9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Don't care as long as Helton high on him & he keeps his nose clean at SC.

10. jpq21

jpq21 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    The article says a disciplinary matter.

Some totally shameful rumor-mongering here, but I was told about a year ago from a guy who used to be on the football team that he basically is not a very high character person, or is a bit lazy and entitled or something along those lines. Take that with some very large grains of salt... but it is consistent with this situation if it turns out to be a disciplinary matter.

11. ectrojan

ectrojan Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Don't think it's fair to bash on the kid when most people do not know him and do not know the situation. Not gonna judge this kid because of rumors.

12. USCDENTIST

USCDENTIST Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Truth will come out soon enough. I spoke to him last night. He has a great family and he isn't kidding about the money thing. Oaks is ridiculous.

13. scdg71

scdg71 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    I'm going to bet on the Helton gang ... that they've done some vetting on this kid ... and have at least a clue about his character

14. DPforlife

DPforlife Junior Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Well, it looks like Tristan Gretzky is a golfer - so doesn't appear to be a QB issue. Maybe it's all over a girl???

15. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Well, recent history of USC coaches suggests the opposite. We tend to overlook character flaws and get.burned

16. USCDENTIST

USCDENTIST Junior Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Got all the details. Matt handled this situation pretty well given the circumstances. Nothing violent but as was spoken of previously, money talks.
    You can PM me if you are really interested in details.

17. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Interesting. I just looked at Tristan's Instagram and he is wearing an SC hat in one of the pics. Maybe they were fighting about which one will be the most famous SC alum in 5-6 years. ;)

18. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Wow....wonder what Tristan Gretzky feels like when he walks by Oak's football players in school?

Wouldn't want to be him.

19. Ccoralles

Ccoralles Junior Member

Feb 14, 2017
    If everything is as stated, this is one of the most bizarre situations ever! With that said, Matt has a full ride already to the School of his choice, so the Private School education won't benefit him as much as he would have benefited that team. Wherever he lands, he will be just fine and put up solid numbers. I'm worried 0 bit for Matt. On the other hand, if I'm a Parent of one of the other kids on the team that doesn't have a scholarship wrapped up, I'd be considering pulling my kid as well now. This situation has a domino effect that will surly mess with the program. If the story is true, then Gretzky is going to get a lot of sideways looks at the football games this year. 2 time division champs coming into season with 5 Star QB has a lot of buzz. Now, if I'm correct, the fall out will put them out of the race, and kinda irrelevant. Kids these days! Lol

20. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Is there a minimum age to play fball for a JC? Maybe that'd be the better route for him? Better competition, avoid the HS drama.

Unless he wants the Senior memories, maybe taking classes at a JC and playing fball at Ventura College would be the way to go?

21. Ccoralles

Ccoralles Junior Member

Feb 14, 2017
    So who gets the girl?

22. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Just a couple of observations:

1. SOMETHING happened, big enough to cause the #1 football player on the team to pack up and leave. You have to know that every high ranking administrator, the FB coach, the AD, and the parents of the rest of the players, not to mention the students themselves, would have been up in arms at the prospect of losing Corral.

Something SIGNIFICANT happened. You don't make a move like this over a little spat about a girl or some slight that happened in the weight room or at a party.

2. The Gretsky family is a unique assortment of characters. Wayne, hockey royalty and seeming all-around good guy, is an alcoholic. If you've ever been around the guy at an event, he plows through one drink after another. He's got a handler that grabs the drinks when Wayne sets them down, but Wayne just gives the bartender a little nod of the head and another drink is in his hand just like that. Wayne is a gracious host and a great guy for working a crowd and giving funny after-dinner remarks. I've seen this several times. But as the evening wore on, he just kept pounding back drink after drink. Recently I was at an dinner/game event where he was basically drunk by the end of the second period, after which the handler found a way to get Wayne out of there. True story. Don't question the source—I saw it with my own two eyes.

Former actress Janet Jones, his wife, was implicated in a gambling ring investigation that also caught-up a bunch of NHL players. It was a New Jersey betting ring and there was evidence of her deep involvement with it, even with players who were currently playing in the NHL. Her pre-Wayne life was one of being on the hunt for an athlete, first hooking up with tennis pro Vitus Gerulaitis and other lesser lights before she eventually caught Wayne. OK, no crime in that.

Internet hottie Paulina Gretzky followed in her footsteps, and used her notoriety to hook PGA star Dustin Johnson. Make whatever observations you wish about the character of a woman who posts thousands of pictures of herself on the internet, most in little bathing suits—we live in the age of digital narcissism and self-promotion on steroids. Dustin has struggled with alcoholism himself and has stepped away from the game at points to deal with his substance abuse issues. Life's a non-stop party until you begin to loose your grip on the drink and the drink begins to tighten its grip on you.

Casting aspersions? Yeah, I totally am. But its not like this is some wholesome family made up of salt-of-the-earth no-drama people. It wouldn't come of any surprise if the younger Gretzky children and their mother created some sort of drama and then powered-up when the poo hit the fan. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

3. If my child were a rising football star, and our family dentist were constantly posting on the internet about his close connections and inside scoop into the affairs of our family, I'd find a new dentist in about 15 minutes. Not just this thread, but multiple Matt Corral threads in the past. We all have our need to find significance in this world and be told that we are important. Spilling information about one of your patients in order to fill your significance tank is not just unprofessional, but creepy.

4. Life comes at you fast when you are a hot-shot recruit. Its a lot of attention and notoriety for a young man to handle. I hope that Matt and his fam take the time to pull back and look again at what centers their life. Take stock of the dragon they are riding—the fame train that can easily run off the tracks if you aren't careful. This is an opportunity for the Corral's to come together, speak to one another again about the values that ground their family and the core that will last long after Matt's football days are over.

23. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Lol. While I can appreciate the angle you are trying to take, I struggle to think of mother or daughter as anglers.

Janet was 7 years younger than Vitas and they were more than a hook-up. There were engaged. Before Vitas, she dated Dick Van Patten's son for 5 years, from the age of 19 to 25. Wayne came after Vitas. Considering her status as an actress and her looks, she didn't have to be on the hunt.
    [​IMG]

Paulina does take after her mum. But do we really think so little of a grown man/professional athlete, that HE is the one who got hooked?
    [​IMG]

They sure look pretty happy.
    [​IMG]

24. reaLchaZZZy

reaLchaZZZy Junior Member

Feb 14, 2017

Great post Pick!

25. WJW39

WJW39 Junior Member

Feb 15, 2017
    My wife and I attended an Oaks Christian basketball game tonight. We've known several OC football players and their families for years. The players and our grandsons played Club basketball in another community for years. In discussion with the OC FB players they seem to back Matt at the expense of Gretzky. They seemed to think he got the short end of the stick and it will hurt the OC football program. They didn't seem to think he had any character issues. We got that from the only two players we talked to so take that for what its worth.

I can't draw any definite conclusion from this event. So I guess this will play out over the years as to his character. But it does seem to hurt their FB program in the short run.

26. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Just announced...DJ and his fiancee are.expecting second child....putting two carts.before.the horse