Why is Clancy not on Hot Seat

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jul 23, 2019.

2. scgold33

scgold33 Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    He is!

3. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jul 23, 2019
    If Clay goes Clancy will be right alongside with him. You only get so many chances!
    Fight On!

4. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Jul 23, 2019
    So hard to get a good coordinator with such a weak head coach.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    That was kinda my thought too. Who said he wasn’t on the hot seat? We all think Helton is on the hot seat and must produce results this season. If Helton is gone, Clancy is gone too.

6. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jul 23, 2019

Who told you he’s not? I’m confident it’s smoking hot

Rodgarnay51 and ConquerorSC like this.
  7. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Should've been let go along with Tee, BKU, and Calloway. The data is there and it doesn't support Clancy being anything but mediocre.

gubo&palanka and ConquerorSC like this.
  8. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Clancy has not produced the way a former NFL/SuperBowl coach should....especially on defense. Guys should be flying around and blanketing much better.....we had a hard time stopping mediocre offenses. Too intricate? Fix it, dummy.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Clancy is on the hot seat. When Helton fired several assistants, Clancy was initially mentioned as fired before that news was retracted. So Helton did consider firing him but changed his mind (probably because he didn't have anybody better he could get). So if the defense doesn't perform I expect Clancy's seat will get even hotter.

10. manganate

manganate Junior Member

Jul 24, 2019
    While I don't think the defense has been anything special (particularly against the pass, getting pressure on the QB without blitzing, and being stout against the run). I think the reason the defense gets less flak is because there are at least a few moments I can think of where the D did their part in resetting the momentum of the game. We were leaky against Penn St. but it was the defense and Hutching's big tackle on Saquon in the backfield that really allowed Sam's heroics to matter late in the 4th quarter. Against Ohio St. I don't think anyone can argue that while it couldn't have lasted all game, the defense came with a gameplan and even executed it admirably if not for the offense completely crapping the bed in the Cotton Bowl.

I think Kevin Bruce has stated plenty over the years that he's clearly not a big fan of Clancy's defense but in a lot of cases it can still get the job done. I'm also a big believer in the idea that the different units need to help each other out, but if I've seen anything over the last two years it's that the offense has put the defense in bad or unenviable positions much more often than vice versa. Now I'm not making excuses for a less than stellar defense, because nobody is going to confuse the defenses we've trot out over the last few years with the dominant forces of PC's years, but I think the offensive woes have gotten so bad that our O was actually sabotaging our defensive efforts.

11. AtownSC

AtownSC Points Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Makes me wonder if his system will accommodate going to a more traditional front. Sounds good on paper, but we know teams are going to pick on our very fresh DBs. On top of OLBs without much experience, a lot is going to depend on our DL blowing up the LOS in minimal amount of time. We might be in for a long season.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  12. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Seriously, how could any DC look good with the S&C program we had and no live tackling in practice?

One (S&C) of those two issues has already been resolved while the other, which falls on Helton (cough, cough, Swann), is TBD.

Add in the influence from Chad K and Greg Burns, and I believe we’ll be just fine.

13. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 24, 2019
    Clancy and Baxter are on the hot seat with Clay.
    If Helton gets fired so will they.
    The other coaches deserve better consideration.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 24, 2019
    But he's got to take advantage of it when he gets it.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 24, 2019
    The dline has to hold up to protect the LBs and there has to be a pass rush to help those DBs. I think they're capable of doing it, but they have to find a monster off the edge. I think Tufele will provide an inside push, and my hope is that EA is turned loose off the edge.

gubo&palanka likes this.