Why do big time California 5 star football players, become package deals with out of state players?

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by LDIABootney, Nov 21, 2020.

2. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Nov 22, 2020
    The simplest answer would be the travel circuit allows these boys to form a bond.
    As a basketball junkie, this is no different then Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones being a package deal.
    They meet and hit it off, and then they wonder how things would be if they teamed up at the next level?
    Most of the time it does not work because a teenage boy is all over the place, but there are situations where both of them come in and stay true to their word.

I do not believe in the rumors and talks because the success rate on these package deals with elite HS prospects I would say are less than a coin flip.
    I will wait until NSD to find out...

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Nov 22, 2020
    My best friend from high school was offered by every school in the then Pac 8, and numerous other national programs. He jokingly tried to get them to take me too as a package. Surprisingly, they all said they did not need a 5'5" quarterback, even though I played baseball too. He ended up at Cal and had a great career.....without me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  4. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Nov 22, 2020
    No scholarships for ball boys?

5. jerald grossman

jerald grossman Points Member

Nov 23, 2020
    Why? Because they don't to play Helton or anyone on this coaching staff that's why.

6. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Nov 23, 2020
    Wonder if Calvert was impressed by the play of our inside linebackers against his chosen team?

gubo&palanka and AtownSC like this.
  7. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Will Johnson has USC in his top 5.

8. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Neither of those have happened yet. Talking about being a package deal is a different universe than actually being one.

I think guys like the idea of teaming up with other great players and for California’s elite players, their counterparts are in other areas. And no West Coast school has given them a reason that it is the obvious choice.

I think USC typically does a good job of holding on and riding that emotional ride that some local recruits have early in the process when they’re talking about going out of state. It becomes a problem when you go 5-7 and there’s constant talk about your head coach’s job security and your entire staff isn’t recruiting as well or hard as it should be. But I think this new staff will do just fine with it moving forward.

mvpreed2 and LDIABootney like this.
  9. TaeRiddle

TaeRiddle Junior Member

Dec 2, 2020
    It is not just Cali and it's not just 5* talents. It happens everywhere all over the country a lot more than people would ever care to realize.