Who watched Dodgers-Giants

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jul 23, 2020.

2. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 24, 2020
    I didn't. Now that professional sports have been politicized, I will be pursuing other pastimes.

AZUSCfan, uscfd, Arthur Jury and 3 others like this.
  3. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jul 24, 2020
    It is sad to say that our society has devolved to the state where going to a sporting event is a political statement. I have zero interest as well.

BigRex and FIGHTON! like this.
  4. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Jul 24, 2020
    I did. It was watchable, but not the same.

Awkward for TV in that without the crowd noise players cursing could be clearly heard. Sorry FCC but the announcers trying to smooth it over made me chuckle.

If you are giving up sports because players oppose unarmed civilians being killed then what are you doing here? Time to find a ballet board instead.

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  5. Kaptain Karl

Kaptain Karl Points Member

Jul 24, 2020
    I’m not giving up watching sports. This country has become far too polarized. Too much us vs them. Even if I disagree with something it isn’t going to stop me from approaching/watching it.

On another hand, the Dodgers looks insane this year. That rookie starter was filthy. I’m hoping my giants keep sucking and we can pick up a top 3 pick in next years draft.

6. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Jul 24, 2020
    And that rookie starter didn't even make the big club. He was called up last minute when Kershaw tweaked his back.

7. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Our Giants will be terrible for years. I still do not understand how so many cast offs in their late 20's somehow make it into our starting line-up. Props to Coonrod who stuck to his beliefs.

Dodgers shouldn't get cocky. The Giants line-up is abysmal. This season doesn't count anyway.

8. KeenObserver

Jul 24, 2020
    Gaslighting....and obviously a twist of reality

I watch sports to distract me from the more serious rigors of being on the orb. Once sports becomes equally or more stressful than work or other issues than it's time to find something more beneficial. These players are killing the golden goose. Baseball is near dead. If it weren't for fantasy football, The NFL would be sunk as well.

9. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Theres a lot of truth to this....casual sports fans, read mainstream America are gonna get tired of all these movements, some justified, some are far out in left field, and will stay away in droves...when that happens, the money available to teams and players will shrink, and ergo, less opportunities to make millions of $$.....these major stars better watch it, the golden goose just might not be as lucrative going forward....

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 24, 2020
    What is your opinion on paper fans?

11. KeenObserver

Jul 24, 2020
    I'd prefer paper players.

12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 24, 2020
    There was a certain beauty to ESPN when they first started. You could tune in and just get the scores and highlights. Isn't that what most sports fans really want? I mean you can go to a game here and there or watch a few but you can't watch everything. A great feature story every now and then gave insight to the athletes.

I support each and every one of them in voicing their opinion...when they aren't at work. Just like what's expected from the rest of us.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Yep--I'm fine "giving up sports" because players support a marxist hate group...and because I'm not particularly interested in the opinions of not-well-educated 20-somethings who think being an athlete qualifies them to lecture me on, well, anything.

woohit42, gubo&palanka and GLA4USC like this.
  14. KeenObserver

Jul 28, 2020
    Home field advantage is gone as well. This hurts the big market teams drawing 40k fans a night cheering and razzing. Zaps quite a bit of the energy.

15. JImmytheGreek

JImmytheGreek Junior Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Have absolutely no interest in bastardized baseball season or bogus world series. Cardboard fans creep me out. "Submitted for your approval..." It would more than a little pathetic if the Dodgers first world series victory in over thirty years was accompanied by an asterisk the size of a galaxy.

gubo&palanka and KeenObserver like this.
  16. TroyCAM

TroyCAM Junior Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Sports is entertainment. When untarnished it unpacks within its entertainment value some of the most compelling aspects of human competition and drama. Today, professional sports has lost that to money, greed, and worst of all sour race politics. I find it no longer compelling. It's unwatchable.

In stark contrast, I encourage all to watch again Kirk Gibson's at bat in the 9th inning, oh so many American cultural years ago. The baseball drama is of course at the top of the sports mountain and Vin Scully was the GOAT, but equally fascinating to me are the fans at the game - so living in that moment. No stadium adds, no WiFi, no cell phone distractions, no mascots, no blazes of LED lights, signs or videos telling all when to react or engage. Just fans at a baseball game fully immersed in one of the most dramatic moments in sports history.

I miss the purity and drama of sports back then. College football, though now becoming tarnished too, is probably the last remaining bastion of mostly unadulterated major sports drama. Fight on!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  17. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Jul 28, 2020
    I did. It was a different experience, but I liked it. Mookie Betts is going to be good.

18. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    Lol. Nostalgia at its finest. Like most Dodger fans, I recall exactly where I was and what I was doing when Gibson hit that HR, but to say sports was pure back then is simply incorrect. Sure there weren't cell phones or WiFi back then, but there sure were stadium ads, the video board did exhort teams when to cheer, and, if you have seen the gazillion replays of Gibson's homer, you'll undoubtedly have seen the brake lights of that one fan that decided to leave early!

19. KeenObserver

Jul 29, 2020
    It’s amazing that you guys still remember it was so so so so long ago.

20. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    So was Juan Marichal's cowardice--we haven't forgot that, either.