Who was your favorite USC QB?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by saturdaysarebetter, Jul 26, 2018.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Aug 3, 2018
    John Fox, he hung in there when younger QBs were getting playing time and broke that ugly streak.

Actually, he might be on a most underappreciated list.

FleetwoodMack likes this.
  2. TrainerDave74

TrainerDave74 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2018
    I’ve never been a poster but at my advanced age along with a scotch and soda I feel compelled to chime in.

I’ve sopped up the blood of s few of our QBs so here is my spin.

GOD bless Craig Fertig. One of my mentors and just a brilliant life. Best story is when he took the Oregon St job and UCLA went up to play them. Craig had the Beavers out at pre game warmups on a freezing cold night in short sleeves and no heating on the side lines. Chatting up Terry D at pregame, Craig told T that you got used to the cold and it isn’t a problem. ucla was wearing all kinds of cold weather clothing. When the teams went back to the locker room before kickoff, TD got pissed and made ucla take all their warm clothing off to show some toughness. Meanwhile, Craig had his guys putting on every sweater they had. It was [email protected]&$ cold and wet.
    ucla came out all charged up and Craig let them sit and start to cool down until the refs made OSt come out of their warm locker room. The rest is history. Craig was the man that all of us should be forever grateful for.

Randomly, Steve Soggy and Mike Rae were perfect managers. 1972 was perfection.

Pat was very efficient. Used his cohorts to best advantage. GOD bless AD

Vince got his break when Rob Hertel broke his leg and Coach McKay announced his move to Tampa. The next season JR brought in Hack who transformed Vince into the best we had had up to that point. Just a remarkable combination of mental drive and athleticism for 1976.

If not for an injury, Rob Hertel was special. Leadership personality, arm, smarts, he was beautiful but only had one year. We lost to nd at home. Bummer.

Paul Mac learned the personality factor from RH and took advantage of Charles and ran the table in 78. Perfection. Hack took advantage of Bug and it was a Brilliant year.

After that, Peetie got us to an inch of a NC. Damn the mumps.

GOD bless Carson for staying and coming to fruition.

Since being at the ‘68 Rosebowl and watching my first NC, Matt Linert was pretty good overall. I only remember him throwing into coverage once against ucla as he was bawling his eyes about it being his last game in at home. He recovered and except for him lofting a ball that got picked in the 05 TexAss game, not s bad life. GOD bless RB or we would’ve lost to Fresno in 04

The rest got lucky or had the drive to win no matter what. Darnold and Sanchez where one of those lucky guys who could make plays but needed another year to be great college players.

Kisses, Dave

3. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Or Reggie Perry.

4. FleetwoodMack

FleetwoodMack Junior Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Love this post! That Craig Fertig story is priceless.

5. FleetwoodMack

Aug 4, 2018
    1. Rodney Peete: loved watching him run around and turn nuthin’ into sumthin’.
    upload_2018-8-4_10-40-56.png
    2. Carson Palmer: Mercilessly maligned to Heisman Trophy. You’ve never seen a white man jump so high as I did when Carson’s name was announced.

upload_2018-8-4_10-38-35.jpeg

3. Todd Marinovich: Oh but for a different dad what a career he might have had.

upload_2018-8-4_10-36-50.jpeg

4. Matt Barkley: He came back.
    upload_2018-8-4_10-42-38.jpeg
    5. Vince Evans: This is the most beautiful S.C. football photo ever taken.

upload_2018-8-4_10-34-45.jpeg
    Look! You can see the Peristyle with no Audi Suites.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  6. Illiad

Illiad Points Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Wow great thread, even mentioning the likes of John Fox, Rocky Hinds, and Reggie Perry....I always liked that Vince Evans picture too.

First and foremost gotta shout out to Max Browne who stayed and fought on I always like his commitment to SC (though he should have left after the Rose Bowl) always liked him.

Then as others in this thread have done, kudos to some of the lesser known QBs and back ups going back 40 years

Gordon Adams- filled in for a year after McDonald in 80 and I think led USC to a ranking as high as #2, as did John Mazur who took the reins in 81...who beat#2 Oklahoma in last few seconds as Trojans were #1 for part of the season
    Scott Tinsley- Filled in for injured Adams and beat Notre Dame and helped win one for the fat man in 1980, almost pulled one out agains UCLA in 82
    Tim Green took over due to injuries and led Trojans to a win over #1 Washington and jan1 85 Rose Bowl win
    Matt Koffler played well in a fill in role and almost helped USC break the streak against UCLA in 96.
    Pat Ohara won the job over Marinovich, only to tear up a knee before the start of the season in 89. .... In that era, Shane Foley also filled in for Marinovich in '90 when Marinovich and Larry Smith were fueding.
    Kyle Wacholtz (who might have had the biggest arm of any SC QB) and to some extent Rob Johnson were thrown into the fire at too young of age, and had either not been thrown in so early might have had a higher degree of comfort and success at the QB spot. Rob did have good numbers at SC and go on to a reasonably successful NFL career, but always had such high expectations heaped on him at SC and the big criticism was that his teams" never won the big one". I think Mike VanRapphorst a great QB filled in for Carson Palmer, but lost in an environment that Palmer himself lost in as well....with Paul Hackett
    ....and then Curtis Conway! Jeez that guy was an athlete, one of the all time great at SC (at a school swimming with great athletes), filled in for a struggling Reggie Perry and did a halfway decent job.

Lastly, Matt Cassell!!, a SC back up who fought on at Linebacker like John Fox or at any position to get on the field, whose biggest play was recovering an onside kick. Matt fought on and had one hell of an NFL career

Go Trojans

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  7. FleetwoodMack

Aug 4, 2018
    Scott Tinsley’s son Trey is vying for the starting QB job at Wazzu this year.

But you guys probably already knew that.