Which assistants should the next coach keep?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by J4SC75, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Which assistants should the next coach keep?
    J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    A new coach usually keeps some of the previous staff for continuity. I would keep Harrell, Nansen, and Burns. Maybe Colbert, who has done a nice job with our receivers. I'd replace the rest. Harrell has done a nice job considering it's really his first year as an OC with primary responsibility and the development of Slovis has been in part because of him, Nansen has the pulse on recruiting and is a solid LB coach, and Burns has worked miracles in the defensive backfield.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Let the new HC decide. We have some good assistants, but I have no idea who, if any, would fit well into the next HC’s system.

3. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    ZERO!!

They must erase the losing stench of the old guard in the clubhouse completely.

4. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Great question. I believe that there are 3 worthy of keeping:
    Keary Colbert - the WR’s have excelled this year, and who better to tell the USC story to recruits
    Tim Drevno - he was in over his head as an OC for the asshat, but he’s one hell of a good OL coach. That unit has really come together this year with some very average talent
    Johnny Nansen - not sure what position group to coach, but every staff needs an ace in the hole recruiter

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Rodgarnay51 and jjg4sc like this.
  5. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    If the new HC keeps GH, I'm going to lose my shite.

A gimmick offense that turns the ball over is the last thing USC needs to bring back. GH, CP and JB are gone!

USC is 123rd in Turnovers out of 130 teams. GH's offense places zero emphasis on taking care of the ball. We also give up way too many sacks in this offense. No thanks!

Hockey10 likes this.
  6. ScMafia

ScMafia Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    If we get urban myer, we won’t need Nansen for recruiting....get rid of everyone except Colbert

7. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    I may be one of the few, but I would want them to keep Harrell, Colbert, Burns, and Coach K.

I think IF we were to get Urban Meyer, he could be a great mentor to Harrell and reduce the turnovers. I am pretty sure it was Harrell who found Slovis and had to snatch him up as soon as he came to SC. Remember that many of those turnovers from Slovis are due to him trying too hard. Knowing when to audible or throw the ball away comes with experience.

8. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    None. If he wants 'em he should hire them new.
    They shouldn't get any favorable treatment.
    No "keeping" them.

As others have said, I think Colbert would prove he earned a shot. Drevno's done well with a pedestrian group.
    I assume Meyer knows someone he wants as his OC, but I could see Harrell being a legitimate candidate for his old job. As an "air raid" guy, he doesn't just get to waltz in especially since we have Christon and Stepp and could re-establish a great ground attack, I do think he has promise as a shot-caller and could see Meyer at least giving him an interview.

9. Gr8ythunter

Gr8ythunter Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ................................... none

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  10. JMac

JMac Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    You might keep Harrell, but not his one dimensional offense. Nobody wins a NC without a good run game, and we don't have one.

Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  11. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    It's hard to develop a solid run game when 3/4 of your RB corps is decimated with injuries.

12. JMac

JMac Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    If that means the intention is to continue to develop one, and maybe also to consider using the I when appropriate, then I stand corrected. I think there are times when a QB sneak, or a straight dive with a blocker in front are the optimum calls. And play action from that still works across the NFL. No reason it can't work in college.

Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  13. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Que? 3/4 is a 75% reduction. To decimate means a 10% reduction. Unless you meant a series of 10% reductions? Do we have that many running backs? : )

14. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    I am on the fence about this one.

Colbert is a lock for me.
    Harrell can stay if we ran the ball more often.

Aside from those two, I wouldn’t have much of a fight for letting the others go as a COACH, but I do like several of them as a MAN/PERSON.

15. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    I just discovered that Nansen is the inside linebacker coach and defensive run game coordinator. That would be a NO. The inside linebackers are non-existent.

Harrell is a bit rough around the edges for my taste. Maybe keep him as QB coach and assistant OC or something. I think Drevno has done a good job with the OL. Run game is rough, but the pass blocking has improved. The scheme needs work. I wish someone would figure out that running Christon up the middle once in awhile would be good and let him pop one. The sweeps are slow developing and poorly designed. Also as others have pointed out the TE in the backfield points the defenders straight to the RB. Too many penalties.

Yes on Burns and Colbert. The DL coach is an improvement but he's no Marv Goux.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  16. Rodgarnay51

Nov 19, 2019
    OK if you make Nansen something besides ILB coach, because IMO he gets a failing grade in that.

Troy70 likes this.
  17. Rodgarnay51

Nov 19, 2019
    He's sure a lot better at coaching talented WRs than he was at coaching mediocre TEs.