Where top California talent is going . . .

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by RollTideBrent, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Where top California talent is going . . .
    RollTideBrent

RollTideBrent Member

Dec 10, 2019
    There are currently 23 California high schoolers ranked among the top 250 players by Rivals.com. Here is a breakdown of where they are going:

Undecided 6
    Washington 4
    Oregon 3
    Alabama 2
    Ohio State . 2
    Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Stanford, Ok State, Arizona State 1 each.

Out of 23 outstanding California players, only one so far has opted to stay in state for football, at Stanford. None for USC, UCLA, or Cal. California high schoolers aren't just ditching USC; they're ditching the whole state.

2. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    You didn't hear the great news about USC's recruiting class? Just putting on the final touches.

Those 6 undecided are all going to USC. Mike Bohn and Clay Helton told me so. Integrity.

BREWcorp, DaFireMedic and OC2SC like this.
  3. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Thanks for the info. We surely already recognize what you see. Quick question, how many of the 23 are QB, WR, RB, TE, and DB? Most QBs aren't looking at USC this year given we have Daniels (will be a RS Sophomore), Slovis (true Sophomore), and a 2021 5* QB in Jake Garcia coming in. WR is about the same since we will have St. Brown, likely Vaughns, London, McCoy, Ford, and McClain blocking a new WR from getting any PT. I think USC will get Bryant Jr. and may be one of two WRs in this class.

Unfortunately for this recruiting class we really do not need more than one of each because we really need LB, DL, and OL. I think at this point, the projections are that USC will only have 14 scholarships available. Frankly, I would rather have 10 of those spots go to OL, DL, and LB. USC has struck out on too many DL and OL in the past couple of years and been left filling those spots with WRs and DBs. I think most of us on this board have made note of the lack of trench recruiting over the past couple of years, Coach Drevno and Coach K have recognized it as well, which is why the majority of our current class are players in the trenches.

RollTideBrent and Jay4usc like this.
  4. Aztrojan

Aztrojan Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    They are going everywhere but here.... they want to be able to develop their skill set.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  5. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    What's even worse is that there are 100 other football players after that top 25 who will also be looking at the two Oregon schools, the Arizonas, Utah, Fresno, San Diego, Washington . . .

These are not the cream of the crop, but rather they are simply the crop. These are the kinds of players that fill out your roster and stick around for 5 years. And those kids are picking Cal or Wazzu or Oregon State.

6. OC2SC

OC2SC Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Even with the focus on bringing in OL and DL, the majority of the below California kids listed from Rivals should all be in our class were we not such a dumpster fire

#3 Flowe LB (USC not included in his top 4)
    #4 Milton RB (Georgia)
    #7 Phillips CB (Ohio State)
    #10 Williams LB (Ohio State)
    #19 Banks LB (ASU)
    #20 Murao C (Washington)

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  7. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    This is my argument. The whole Division is weak. Players know it. If they want a shot at the title they have to look elsewhere. Unless they just want to play close to home then its pick USC because UCLA is a dumpster fire.

The divion is perfectly set for one team to start a dynasty.

So far it looks like Oregon is the only team that has taken the bull by the horns.

A Clemson team would come in here and go undefeated in this division 4 years in a row. The Pac 12 championship would be an after thought. They would use the division as tune up games and cement thier spot in the final 4 every year.

These programs are content with growing slowly and fighting it out year to year.

8. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    For all the hatred of the obnoxious Ducks, Oregon (and to a lesser extent Washington) are the only programs in the conference committed to winning. They're not making any excuses but are going out there and building a strong program.

What hurts even more, is they're building the type of team SC should be. Strong on the lines and wearing down opponents. All the while SC is running a gimmicky WSU wanna-be offense. Even if the air-raid lite is a success, in the long run strong physical football wins out.

RollTideBrent likes this.
  9. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    A closer look:

When USC recruited Bryce, they agreed with him that they would not take another quarterback in this class. That takes out #3 ,#10 #17, #13 and #18 out of the equation. The plan was that Bryce would take over once JT graduated. Well JT got hurt and Slovis happened. Drunk Sark promised Young the starting position next year at Bama so Young takes off to Bama. We tried to get back with #10 but it's too late so there goes #2, #3 and #10, #13, #17, #18 (all QBs, we were planning on taking only one so we would have lost 5 no matter the circumstances). #4's family has been a problem so much so that no one on the West Coast was even bothering recruiting him. We lost out on #5 and #16. #6,#8,#9,#11,#14 are all wide receivers and we've already identified the 3 guys that we want plus we have a boatload on the roster. #12 is a center and we need OTs and OGs.

RollTideBrent and zitorocks like this.
  10. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I'm not sure I agree with this exactly. Take a look at our current class. I give you that previous classes have lacked the "beef" in the trenches. That's mainly because we had an incompetent OL recruiter (Callaway) and while I love the man, BKU struck out on a few great DL himself.

OL Jonah Monheim - 6-5, 280 with room to grow
    DT Jamar Sekona - 6-2.5, 303 a clogger in the middle
    DT Kobe Pepe - 6-1, 294, another big hole clogger
    OL Courtland Ford - 6-6, 305
    OL Caadyn Stephen - 6-5, 295
    OL Casey Collier - 6-7, 300
    OL Andrew Milek - 6-6, 295
    OL Andres Dewerk - 6-7, 297

We only have two non-trench commits right now. A WR and a K. If you want to wear down opponents and run the ball effectively, you're going to need a big and deep bench of OL. These guys should all put on a few more pounds once they get on campus. I think they are big enough to do anything they want in the PAC12 with the right coaching from Drevno.

USCAlumFightOn likes this.
  11. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I think people wanted us to take 5 QBs and another 5 WRs in this class just because they were top recruits in CA. If we did, then everyone would bitch that we took too many QBs and needed linemen. We need LBs out of that top 25...that's the biggest thing I see that we missed on. I don't know what Nansen is doing. He was one of the best recruiters in the country.

12. USCAlumFightOn

Dec 10, 2019
    We are still fighting for #1. Nansen isn't in the equation there.

13. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Yeah I know. Flowe is still a must get and I'm hoping he's a silent commit to SC.

14. USCAlumFightOn

Dec 10, 2019
    He isn't. I'm not that confident about him coming but we are trying.

15. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Any clue on who the supposed four silent commits could be?

Bryant
    DGW
    Ringo
    Sellers

I think Bryant is one. The others no clue. I'm just throwing noodles at the wall.

LDIABootney likes this.
  16. USCAlumFightOn

Dec 10, 2019
    DGW, Bryant and Shelton.

17. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Shelton would have been my other guess...but that's three WRs in this class if they get Bryant and Shelton, with JJ. Not that if I were a WR I wouldn't be jumping at a chance to catch several of 50 passes per game.

18. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I do have to say, DGW looks like a grown man. If I saw him on the street I'd think he were in his 30s.

19. USCAlumFightOn

Dec 10, 2019
    Bryant is also big time and Shelton will slide into the slot after St Brown leaves.

20. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    LeBron brought his talents to Cali!