Where is USC when it comes to RB U?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jun 30, 2020.

2. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Tailback U was the first driving force that connected me to USC. It started with OJ for me and was cemented in the 70's with the insanely dominate RB's (and offensive line) we all know. It hasn't been that good since then. I suppose Bush and White are modern day versions of that type of dominance. Nevertheless, the 80's and 90's never produced that same steady stream of AA level RB's. There were plenty of good ones, but no Charles While, Marcus Allen or Ricky Bell. In the pass happy world we live in a power run game with a tough OLine is still valuable (see SEC). USC has lost their mojo in this facet of the game. It can be returned but the coaches have to want to go get it.

3. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Tailback U, to me, was always more about OL U. OJ and Marcus were really the only two RB's during our power running days that were classic style tailbacks who would've excelled anywhere. The rest were mostly either just tough athletes (White, A.Davis, C.Davis), LB'ers-turned-TB (Bell, Emmanuel), who enjoyed great blocking fullbacks and O linemen.
    Bush and White played in a more balanced offensive scheme.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I don't know about how they fit into Pipeline to the Pros, but I think SC's current RB crew is a good one. I think Malapeai is underrated, and Carr might be healthy this year. He's very talented. Stepp is a beast if he can stay healthy. And they can spot Christon - hopefully they can get him into the open field on occasion and not have to use him as the starting RB. Hopefully all the injuries of last year won't happen this time.

SoCalN8tiv and gubo&palanka like this.
  5. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Forget the bias of the East coast, for having 5 HT backs, no matter the last 20 years bs! I’m surprised those nimrods didn’t use the last two years for their QB numbers, to keep SC out of that too

6. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jul 1, 2020
    I think Georgia has the title now. They've been churning out NFL RBs since Herchel.

7. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 1, 2020
    I recall an article many years ago that said something like "While USC is colloquially known as 'Tailback U.,' they're really more 'Offensive Lineman U." The article then went on to show that while we produced a number of great NFL talents at tailback (most notably OJ and Marcus) we had concurrently produced a veritable plethora of offensive linemen that were more productive and long-lived as pros than the tailbacks which got all the press.

I think of you're gonna be "QB U" and maybe also "WR U" - that basically precludes having a 1500-yards, 15 TDs stud in the backfield who takes up the majority of your offense's touches.

We can get back to Tailback U if we wanted, but I'd rather get back to "Championships U" instead.

8. fanoftroy01

fanoftroy01 Active Member

Jul 1, 2020
    If SC wants to regain the title of tailback U then hire a top running back coach instead of a air raid psuedo running back.

9. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jul 1, 2020
    I hear you, though I would say that Ricky Bell was legit and only had a minimal career because he played for a weak team (Buc's), suffering from lack of talent around him. And then of course he was was inflicted with a horrible illness that ended his career and soon his life. Charles White was also legit. Though no power runner by any means, he ran tough and did have some life in the NFL (I believe his drug problems impacted hois potential success). Clearance Davis had a nice run in the NFL too. My point is, we just don't see that kind of turn out anymore, at all.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  10. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Good points. Wish we could talk over a pizza about this...great discussion. Yes, all great backs for a system built and sold out to a power running game. In its era, no one did it better. Each piece did its part so well: drive blocking, TE blocking down, FB in behind picking up scrap left over, and here comes a TB running to daylight. Choo, choo! No deception, just man-on-man, stop it if you can football. Aside from a couple of them, no wiggle or shake--just tough, straight ahead yards with an occasional big play. 4-6 yards was a win. Can't take a team or program out of its era. USC owned its era.

11. uscernie

uscernie Junior Member

Jul 1, 2020
    I remember Mr. Walker in high school, praying he would attend USC. It did not happen. Oh well!

Many are called. Few are Trojan!

12. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Where's @nvargas? I'm surprised he hasn't jumped all over this! Ha!

13. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I think all of our main backs in the rotation are capable of being 1000-yard rushers--- if they were in a system that was built for it.

As it is, they need to be accomplished pass blockers and check-down outlet receivers first, before being great between-the-tackles runners.

14. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Drevno & Graham need to step up running to protect Kedon.

15. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    As nvargas would likely say, "If they can stay healthy!" That was the point, it wasn't about their superb abilities ; )

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jul 4, 2020
    That article has NFL yards gained by our RBs:
    Marcus Allen 12,243
    O.J. Simpson 11,236
    Reggie Bush 5,490
    Mike Garrett 5,481
    Sam Cunningham 5,453
    Jon Arnett 3,833
    Clarence Davis 3,640
    Frank Gifford 3,609
    Justin Fargas 3,369
    Charles White 3,075
    Ricky Bell 3,063

I guess the biggest disappointments were AD and Lendale.

17. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Active Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Only those backs with 3,000 or more career rushing yards were listed, but all yards rushed by each schools backs were counted.

18. Trojan50

Trojan50 Member

Jul 7, 2020
    depends how you look at position u, its hard to find an unbiased metric. These rankings go by the draft and are weighted with more credit for top 10 picks then less the later u get picked. not a bad way to look at it.

https://cfbsaturdays.com/position-u-rankings/