Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by USCSAE, Dec 3, 2019.

1. USC Rising

USC Rising Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    If true that we are keeping Helton, I’m done putting any emotion into a program that has, without question, shown it is not strongly committed to winning. I’m an alum and will never follow another team but I’m going to try to experience the beach and the nice hiking trails around LA on Saturdays instead of screaming at the top of my lungs at the Televison that our elite athletes have worse fundamentals than my high school teammates did. If the University doesn’t care about winning, why should fans, alum, prior players and boosters spend time, energy and money following and supporting since it all goes to nothing in terms of success.

2. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I hope you're right but so-called insiders were saying Helton was out this week too. Again what evidence do you have ? Show me some prospects actually saying that publicly and on-the-record I'd be willing to be more optimistic. Hell I know kids today who visited three or four colleges that accepted them and they never played a down of football before or since.....

And that ISN'T a joke about the problems we are so upset by.

3. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I don't want to put quotes out from the pay sites but recruiting is no where near as bad as you guys think. Apparently there are some blue chippers ready to commit to Helton. We will see.

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Dream on

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    And if they don't what does that say then ? No need to answer now but keep that in mind if we aren't in the top three or four classes in the conference after the spring signing day - and we're 11th now.

What if we're still 11th this spring ? Or we "rally" to seventh or eighth?

It may not seem that way but everyone here hopes Helton gets it all right. We've just had three years of Helton getting it all wrong across the board really bar maybe the recruiting. So it's hard - short of him having some sort of coaching rebirth - to see him making the changes he so obviously can and must make, and now even the recruiting appears to be suffering more than two or three seasons ago as well.

I just think we're going re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic a second time when doing it the first time didn't work really.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. USCAlumFightOn

Dec 4, 2019
    The class is very small so not much room to make much of a jump in "recruiting rankings" unless we cut some players but I think we will get our fair share. Fight On!

7. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Your ignorance is appalling. Where is your "empirical data" that shows the 3.2 GPA students do better financially than the 4.0 students? That makes no logical sense, and sounds like something a 2.5 student would pull out of his ass.

Do you honestly think that whatever money your parents donated to the school automatically guarantees you admission to SC? What it does is assure your application gets some additional consideration. It doesn't mean you get in. If you think so, you're living in another century.

And so you're accusing the university of "using" your money to keep you out? You sound like an idiot. Talk about poor reading comprehension. No wonder you didn't get in. Sounds like the admissions officer did his job correctly.

And if anyone has been destroying SC it's been the nitwits like Nikias and his crew. But those days are indeed gone. And if you want to leave, fine. See ya. We won't miss ya.

8. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    That Lane Kiffin class that has like 12 players that were all 5/4* recruits was small.

This class is not small, it's just average. For example it was news when we added a 3* OL a few days ago.

9. USCAlumFightOn

Dec 4, 2019
    Which one sir? Yes most OL men are not ranked higly. Only 2 five stars in the entire nation. Fight On!

10. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Bama's gonna beat us by 40. The sooner you accept that the better.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Again, you are a freaking moron that has no reading comprehension - I went to SC, and was a scholarship athlete, how about you? I am lamenting about the possibility of my daughter not getting in.

And yes, the majority of the 5 billion endowment came from previous SC students that got in with 3.2’s, but somehow succeed after college. I own a software company that employees around 85 people. I would guess that most of my tech staff had great GPA’s and test scores, but just like the old adage goes, and there is a reason it is an old adage, the A students are working for the B student.

Finally, and not to be some internet tough guy, but I will beat your ass anytime anywhere. Don’t get cute with me because you are behind a keyboard. I love SC and am invested in a way you will never be, so kiss off. Or tell me when and where we are meeting?

gubo&palanka and drheisenberg like this.
  12. trjoosh

trjoosh Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Serious question, has any coach ever come back from being the most hated, perennial hot seat yearly to becoming successful and loved again by the fan base? Nothing comes to mind.

13. drheisenberg

drheisenberg Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    My kid who is a double legacy got rejected from USC 2 years ago and is flat our killing it at Texas. She wanted nothing more than to be in The Spirit of Troy, but she wasn’t what the university is looking for right now. Instead she’s down in Texas, marching in their band, and surrendered her California license to become a Texas resident. On Saturdays I have way more fun and emotional investment in Texas football than my own alma mater. That’s the reality that I see. The schools new direction sucks and Our football program is a disgrace, I hope all our good athletes enter the transfer portal ASAP.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    not one of them

all of them crash and burn

15. drheisenberg

Dec 4, 2019
    Do your daughter a solid and show her some schools outside California. It’s eye opening.

16. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Yeah but only an internet tough guy would escalate this into something this hostile, so stick to the topic at hand. I don't give a shit how much money your parents gave to the university. it doesn't guarantee your kids get admitted. Or are you unaware of the bribery scandal plaguing SC now?

This university has a boatload of problems these days, in part because of lax oversight in lots of areas. Things need to change. If that means some legacy kids don't get in, so some more academically qualified ones do, so be it. Folt was brought in to clean the mess up.

So the A students sometimes work for the B students. Yeah, that happens sometimes. Maybe the B student has special selling or leadership or creative skills. Maybe he inherited money from his family that let him start the business. But that adage, like a lot of things, doesn't apply so much these days. People who don't work that hard at school, often don't work that hard at their jobs.

And I'm quite well invested in SC, as I have been for decades. I donate too, maybe not as much as your parents have done, who knows. But I would advise you to drop the tough guy act. You just look ridiculous.

17. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 4, 2019
    So true. If he would coach the way he kisses ass we'd block, tackle and play penalty-free football.

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  18. drheisenberg

Dec 4, 2019
    How about you listen to a couple posters stories here? I’m going to be really un-PC and day it. If you aren’t a foreign student bringing in the fat stacks of cash, or a student being brought in to bump diversity numbers, you are going to get the squeeze between those two groups, I’ve seen even my wildly leftie friends read the writing on the wall when they see what a farce college admissions have become, SC being a prime offender.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    You have rubbed me very wrong and continue to talk to me like I am a child.

So here it is - go fuck yourself and own that you are a puss, or tell me where we are meeting. I’m nearly a 50 year old man, so I obviously don’t go around do this, but I will not listen to shit about my family, or SC from the likes of you.

20. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    image.jpeg
    I'm the first in my immediate family to attend USC. However, in my extended family, I have four other cousins that have graduated from USC as well. Back in 1981 (my freshman year), when Marcus Allen was the star TB and the eventual Heisman winner, USC was dominant in football, led by a real coach named John Robinson! Fast forward to today, USC is anything but dominant, led by a dysfunctional headcoach driving this program into abyss -- 8-4 is a good season, recruiting is going well, we're up to 67th, blah,...-- and a bunch of morons allowing him to continue on that path. Things are different alright...but I'm with you, I still love the school and will be hoping for a turnaround until I'm Blue...Fight On!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    gubo&palanka likes this.