What should Vera-Tucker do? Opinions

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Hockey10, Aug 24, 2020.

1. What should Vera-Tucker do? Opinions
    Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Should he stay and hope that he gets to plays a shortened season out of position or should he go pro and prepare for a career at a position he excels at? Thoughts.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Aug 24, 2020
    He should stay and play if there are games in the spring . Also stay for 2021 season and even the 2022 season if he gets another year of eligibility. That’s what I want him to do.

But to answer this more seriously, he shouldn’t make a decision now. If there is no season, which is the most likely scenario then he declares for NFL when that is announced. If there is a season then he has to decide if he can impress NFL people more by playing or not.

3. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 24, 2020
    FWIW, The Draft Network has him going in the 4th round if he actually played in 2020. Unless he truly hates being in school, he needs at least one more season.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/alijah-vera-tucker/EpspW16svO

VM805 likes this.
  4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Play next fall & show he can play LT.

Canyon and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Stay. He hasn't shown enough in my opinion. Needs work. Harsh but true. Tufele should have stayed too. His stats were not eye popping.

Maybe this staff needs to be more direct. Sometimes you have to hurt feelings to do right by people.

Canyon likes this.
  6. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Aug 25, 2020
    I would stay if I were him. All he has to do is look how many previous linemen left early before they should have and either didn’t make a team or had a very short professional career....

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 25, 2020
    I personally feel many players leave to early and hurt their careers. They also miss out on falling back on a degree. I also don't like a players career and training to be set off course due to poor coaching decisions or in this case recruiting. Vera-Tucker will be a OG and make his money there in the NFL. A year at LT, playing in the Air raid system is just a year of wasted preparedness for him. If he played on a team that kept him at his ideal position he would possibly become a very high draft pick. Due to Helton's failures at OL recruiting and poor development on the OL Vera Tucker is now forced into a difficult decision. Transfer, enter draft, or sit around and wait to play out of position.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  8. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Aug 26, 2020
    So your reasoning is to have him convince NFL scouts of his ability with less playing time and what, good combine numbers?! I don't see it. If it's just playing 'out of position' as you call it (highly subjective), first, many, many NFL'ers are not playing at their college positions. Secondly, O-linemen positioning is the most interchangeable in football, even in the NFL. Besides, if you're right about his best position in the future, don't you think NFL scouts see that, too? So his best bet is to prove his skill on the field, in competition, against his peers. No replacement for that, regardless of position.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 26, 2020
    I think it's a tough call given the uncertainty of the season. Even if he is not highly rated, we all know he is an excellent player. He could stay at guard if necessary. I'd like to keep him at SC and he could improve his draft status by staying, but my second choice (first now that the fall season is cancelled) is to take a year off and resume in fall 2021. Complicated.

Canyon likes this.
  10. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 26, 2020
    I never said he should go to the NFL. I said he has a difficult decision to make under the circumstances. I just asked for peoples opinions. I ideally feel he would be best served to stay in college playing OG in an balanced Offence. That isn't going to happen for him this year. As a die hard USC fan I wish we didn't mis-out on some elite OL recruits and developed better so that he could stay at his natural position. I wish the Pac 12 would play a season like other conferences. Then we wouldn't have to have a discussion like this. I just don't want to see another Toa situation where an elite recruit gets moved out position then suffers because of it.

11. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Go to the NFL. Taking a year off if no college football is played is crazy, bat shit crazy. Skip this year, play college football fall 2021, and wait for pros in 2022?! No.

12. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Playing another year in college can help him secure millions of dollars or take a risk leaving early and getting paid the minimum salary.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Also, in the Air Raid he's getting plenty of experience at pass blocking, which the pros seem to value more than anything else.

Canyon likes this.