What makes a fan?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by john saur, Oct 21, 2019.

1. What makes a fan?
    john saur

john saur Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Conquestforever81 had the temerity to post a message that wasn't a vicious attack on Helton. A pack of malicious posters descended on him like ravenous hydrophobic dogs. Many accused him of being a troll.

Well, I'm no troll. I entered USC in 1960 and graduated in 1964. I have been a loyal fan of all things Trojan for 59 years.

I support the whole team, and I consider each member of the coaching staff to be a member of the team. I am by no means blind to Helton's flaws, but I continue to respect his family's football history, his decency, his honor, and his football knowledge. I also continue to hope that he does well as the Trojan coach, and that the team thrives under his leadership. I will hold fast to that attitude for as long as he is the coach and I am alive.

Retention of that belief system has enabled me to hugely relish the fact that the Trojans kicked the Wildcats' collective ass. This is in stark contrast to all of the posters that attacked Conquest. It is clearly apparent that each of you hate the fact that the Trojans won that game. Not one of you even acknowledged the victory.

In a recent post, I expressed pity for the posters who are so deeply invested in their irrational hatred of Helton that they cannot enjoy a win by the Trojans. After reading the responses to Conquest's post, that pity has vanished. It has been entirely replaced by disgust.

youngdna, Rigged4fun and Wolfpack4SC like this.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    O.

You asked a question that you clearly didn't want an answer to. However my answer is, it takes all kinds. There is no one right way to be a fan.

I believe its entirely possible to dislike Helton and still enjoy a win. It's also possible to hope that Helton is replaced sooner rather than later.

3. tenku

tenku Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    You have 3 posts to your name under this account and you post about a troll. Nobody attacked you because you posted something positive about Helton. People attack you because all your posts have been supporting everything that has made USC football mediocre which makes you sound like a Bruin troll. There are multiple accounts that have very few posts that sounds like uscways including john saur and conquestforever81. I bet if the moderator here checked the IP on those accounts, it would all be the same.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I'd take that bet. Conquestforever is NOT a troll no matter how much you disagree with him. He's been posting here a long time. Was/is a PC groupie. He's never had a problem giving his opinion so I don't see the need for a sock puppet.

5. tenku

tenku Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    https://wearesc.com/forum/index.php?threads/pitiful.64127/

Yeah? Why do they all sound the same? Maybe he/she is not conquest, but for sure it’s uscways. This dude talks about people hating on conquest for his love of Helton, but fails to mention his deep hatred for Reggie Bush. True Trojans hates the NCAA, not a former Trojan great.

Also, both conquest and this guy posted 3 minutes apart from each other at 6 am in the morning while one is a new account defending the other. What’s the likelihood of that being different posters?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    FreeReggieBush likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Just as much likelihood that they arent...statistically speaking.

Uscway is a ruin troll. Conquest is not.

7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    The OP has a valid point. I have had my ‘fan’ card questioned because of my support for Helton, because I am not an alum, because my loyalty to the program actually harms the team and the development of our players (I still am in awe of my power -yuk yuk)

DaFireMedic likes this.
  8. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    A fan is generally made in a factory by machines. Most likely in China. Though there are so many different types so it’s hard to answer.

Wolfpack4SC likes this.
  9. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Problem are the "homer fans" who think anyone who is also a fan of their team, but also objective and critical, is not a "real fan".

10. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    is a difference between fan and fanatic......just saying...lately most posters trend to the latter imo.....i know i be include in the troll category

11. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    USCMarc=uscsway=conquistforever=John sayer=Trolls with too much time on their hands

12. SoUtahTrojan

SoUtahTrojan Points Member

Oct 21, 2019
    John Saur aka Kim Helton

13. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Answer:

Fanaticism, one way or another.

14. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Usually when an OP with less than 10 posts says “Well, I'm no troll,” it’s a troll.

15. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I think there are a lot of people who believe they have to be critical to be relevant. The problem I have with that is when their criticisms become obsessive and they lose all perspective (the WLP syndrome). I like to hold my criticisms in check and just find a way to enjoy the game. It’s still a game last time I checked.

16. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Yes you really can not post a football related post anymore without it ending in a Helton thread. There are a lot of people on this board that want us to lose, that is not fair to the players.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  17. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    And UCLA sucks, right RD?

18. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    That would be a straw and this thread is clearly about fans and they blow....yeah, I see your point....carry on.

19. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Straw man arguments suck?