What is the evidence that Bohn is hiring all the assistants?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by BigRex, Mar 18, 2021.

1. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    I've tried to be patient and play the "Just wait till next year when 'Coach Joe Blow' will run their own system and really start to thrive" game...only to be once again disappointed that either that coach was never allowed to run their own system or didn't insist on running their own system. We went through this w/ Drevno. The man knew how to coach OL at Furd, knew how to coach OL at UM and did well for us in years past...but similar to Monte/Wilcox/Pendergast/Baxter, etc. etc. etc...they all forgot how to coach while at SC. Apparently Drevno was never allowed to run the physical OL's he was known for.

Which begs the question: Why do young(er) coaches who've proven themselves elsewhere or are on the upswing of their careers, choose to coach under Helton and have their careers tarnished? Obviously Wilcox recovered, but only after a Wisconsin penance. What will ever become of Pendergast, Baxter, Tee Martin, Drevno? Back to the Mid-majors and hope you get another shot.

There's one common denominator to all this mediocrity. Players like Darnold/Juju/Adoree/RoJo can overcome it, but they shouldn't have to.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Troy70 and Cyrus like this.
  2. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    A good assistant coach doesn't forget how to coach, here or anywhere else. When they fail, they are either (a) a bad fit for the personnel, (b) a bad fit for the system, or (c) they're not as good as we think they are. Drevno was a great coach at Stanford and for the 49ers because they ran a system he was comfortable in and he was a good fit for their personnel. If we ran a more conventional offense, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Once Bohn and Gomer went all in with the AR, Drevno no longer fit but it took two years to figure that out.

3. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Great assessment! What about Pendergast's amnesia? Baxter's? The personnel was there for both of them. The system was there for both of them to do as they pleased (Pendergast pretty much had complete control). I was completely flummoxed at their lack of production and lack of any semblance of creativity/mastery at their respective positions. Baxter for goodness sake, manufacture some ST's trickeration or something! Nada, zilch.

He was a wizard at FSU though!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  4. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Baxters skill was keeping the team academically elidgble

5. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Pendergast may have had complete control on what kind of defense he wanted to run but the scuttlebut inside the program was that he was at cross purposes with his position coaches, some of whom he had no say in their hiring. It was no secret that he and BKU didn't get along.

6. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Yes, I recall the BKU chatter, and perhaps Clancy was overridden on that one. But I have a hard time imagining that BKU didn't do what Clancy wanted, how Clancy wanted. I seriously doubt BKU was completely rogue and did whatever he chose...especially on gameday. Playcalls were made by Clancy. If I had to guess as to what % of poor performance was attributed to BKU's coaching, I'd guess something like 15%. For all the other seasons minus BKU, the one good season for BKU or when the lack of execution was not due to the DL...that was not on BKU.

At some point, a seasoned NFL Vet making $1M+ needs to overcome whatever silly obstacles and perform.

7. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Mar 23, 2021
    That and the TE Renaissance we had w/ him coaching the TE's of course...

8. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 23, 2021
    They also canned the DB coach he brought in and gave him someone he didn't want.

I don't think any of the assistants went rogue and I agree that BKU wasn't the problem but I do think players sense when there is a disconnect between their position coach and the DC and play like it. There was also chatter that Clancy did not have a lot of confidence in his player's skills (remember, he did not like to recruit so he had to coach and play what was recruited for him) which reflected on his conservative play calling. The bottom line is that if you want to be a "coordinator" at the college level, it's imperative that you take an active role in coordinating your staff as well as recruiting the players you're going to be coaching.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  9. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Mar 23, 2021
    But did they have control over how they practiced? If you can’t properly prepare your players to execute your system during practice, then you are going to have issues with in game performance.
    Not sure if that’s what it was, but with no hitting and no game simulation, how could anyone effectively coach in Helton’s program.
    As a starting point, in the last 5 years, how many players have lost or won a starting position minus an injury? I can’t think of any, because you can’t beat out the guy in front of you, if you don’t have the opportunity. And watching tape and walk throughs don’t allow for that.
    Unfortunately, Helton’s tide sinks all ships. Harrell excluded, because he doesn’t need any help being awful.

nvargas likes this.
  10. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Helton gonna Helton. I'll leave it at that.

11. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Mar 29, 2021
    I try to cancel-out the "Helton Factor" well, cuz....Helton gonna Helton.

Assistants know what they're getting when they choose to come to SC, there should be no mystery at this point. What you make of the shitty situation is on you.

Thinking out loud, who was our last Asst Coach that left on better terms than when he arrived? I'm trying to think. Kingsbury never arrived, Bo Davis came to setup his parking space then left. Seems like almost every single Asst Coach left on a negative note. What other team has poached our coaches because they were thriving? I think there was a RB coach before Jinks. That's about it. Joe Barry LB coach went on to a more prominent NFL role. His SC stop didn't add much to his legacy though. I'm coming up empty.

12. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Lol. Before Dabo Sweeney came aboard, I had always heard of "Clemson gonna Clemson."

Works for Helton, too, except that there's no Dabo in sight...

13. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Graham got his OL Coach, AR background. Clay picked Drevno due to past staff . Drevno admitted he didn’t know AR but neither did Clay. AD had built this staff