What is the evidence that Bohn is hiring all the assistants?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by BigRex, Mar 18, 2021.

1. What is the evidence that Bohn is hiring all the assistants?
    BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Mar 18, 2021
    It seems to be widely believed on this forum. But when an AD tells a head coach that he will handle all the hiring from now on, he's making an emphatic, clear message that "you don't have what it takes to be a head football coach". I really doubt that that is happening at USC. I don't see how it could happen at any program. Do any of you true believers have any evidence whatsoever that it is?

Bohn would know that if his plan is to fire Helton and hire a legitimate coach, that legitimate coach would insist on bringing his own staff. No one worth his salt would come to USC without that understanding. Any coach successful elsewhere would have gotten that way with his own staff and would undoubtedly want to bring many of them with him. That would fly in the fact of Bohn hiring assistant coaches now or later.

Make your case.

2. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Circumstantial at best but here goes.

Prior to Bohn Helton hired people he knew, had a relationship with, or who was connected to his fathers coaching tree. After Bohn that changed completely.
    Of course the suposition that Bohn was making the decisions was a leap, but the before and after change was so stark that the conclusion that Bohn was making the decisions was the best on the list of many possibiliyies

3. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 18, 2021
    I don't think people are saying that Bohn has literally taken over the hiring of Helton's staff without Clay's OK. That is, unless his goal is to piss Helton off so much that he either walks away from his contract altogether or is willing to re-negotiate the terms of his buyout. I think what has happened is that Bohn is so frustrated with being forced to cover for Helton that he has told Clay in no uncertain terms that his coaching staff HAS to be reorganized and if Clay doesn't have the connections to make that happen, he (Bohn) does. And if Clay doesn't like these connections, he's free to come up with better ones (which he can't) . This is not an unusual occurrence in coaching. It happens all the time at both the college level and the NFL level. Where it appears to be a little different here is that when these hires were made, you didn't hear a lot of happiness coming from Helton's mouth. It was more like "if you have any questions, go see Mike".

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Clay hired family & old friends, like on SC staff before. Suddenly a hiring change, doesn’t sound like same pattern

5. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Mar 18, 2021
    Right. It's definitely not like Clay has been entirely removed from the hiring process. In fact, a number of the new coaches have talked about how instrumental he was in them deciding to come here. They've said it on the record, which can obviously be taken as just saying nice things about your boss, but more than one coach/staffer has specifically made a point to mention off the record just how important their conversation with Helton was in their decision to take the USC position. He's helped close the deal with a number of guys who have come in recently.

6. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Very interesting. Perhaps I see the hand of Bohn in all the new positions that have been created. I don't see it in the relatively unknown coaches he has hired from Texas. They come from small losing programs. Who would hire an OL coach from a 2-10 team?

Hockey10 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  7. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Clay2 was a Harrell connection!
    Fight On!

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Someone who has decided to go all in on the Air Raid and wants a coach who's experienced in running it.

9. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Mar 18, 2021
    And some success running the ball in the system....

Trojanfan562 and Trojack like this.
  10. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Mar 18, 2021
    I wonder if Helton is the one who finds these guys and/or initiates the contact with them. Or is it Bohn and his staff who do that with Helton making the final decision?

11. Rodgarnay51

Mar 18, 2021
    I hear ya. Clay 2's credentials are not exactly awe inspiring. Then again, if he can coach it doesn't really matter.

12. Rodgarnay51

Mar 18, 2021
    I think this is a real "prove-it" year for Harrell.

KiwiSCfan likes this.
  13. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Bohn put himself in a Win Win situation when he extended Harrell’s contract. He was able to keep Harrell knowing he could not get rid of Helton, therefore stabilizing the program when Harrell was drawing a lot of interest outside of the program. Who would want to work under Helton, unlike Orlando who just got fired by Herman and had limited or very few options.
    Last year opponents adjusted to Harrell’s offense dropping 8 back and we struggled without a run game. Adjustments were far and few. Now he has his Oline coach so no excuses. If he cannot figure it out he has no more excuses as Bohn has given him every opportunity to succeed! A coach cannot ask for more support! Fight On!

OC 949, Trojack and Ride Fly like this.
  14. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Actually they are. Take Texas State out of the mix and the only OL coach with better credentials with this kind of offense is Bill Bedenbaugh from Oklahoma. Bohn and Helton are going all in with Harrell's offense and the only way you can do that is to hire an OL coach that is on the same page with Harrell. Otherwise, there was no need to get rid of Drevno.

15. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 18, 2021
    It is indeed. He is now being given the OL coach he has always needed. No excuses now.

16. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Can’t believe how negative I’ve become, when I used to be an eternal optimist; but Harrell is a joke, his offense is a joke and time will only reveal that to be more and more true.

OC 949 and big_pete like this.
  17. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Mar 19, 2021
    I'm with you. It is impressive though how Harrell managed to con so many people.

18. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Mar 19, 2021
    Bohn has been given credit for opening up and expanding the support staff in terms of number of positions For recruiting and analysis. I am not sure anybody was saying that he was hiring key assistant coaches... Which would be the most likely people a big time new coach would be bringing with him.

19. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Mar 19, 2021
    Never bought into the Air Raid being "the solution" to what ailed us. Always thought is was a gimmicky bandaid to distract from the fact we were gonna retain Helton and thereby be rudderless for as long as he remained. If anything, it meant we doubled-down on Helton's "soft" culture rather than addressing the lack of physicality and toughness in the program from S&C on through to tackling. We no longer intimidate inferior teams just by walking off the bus...like during the PC era.

I held off criticizing Harrel until I saw whether he was going to run the actual NTx offense utilizing the TE's and having a solid rungame. Once I saw that wasn't gonna happen, I was out. The AR itself was a joke. It substituted running a passing-league offense and getting gaudy stats for actually focusing on fundamentally sound technique, toughness and the will to run the ball.

Whether or not we use a FB, keep a TE inline, focus on the run is not the main issue; these are just the result of deciding to run a soft program. All the other details are just a part of this soft package (pun intended).

Could Harrel thrive in another elite program? Not sure, perhaps...wish he'd go and try.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  20. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 19, 2021
    The problem with the AR that we "supposedly" ran the past two years was that Harrell was never really the master of his own ship. I completely agree with you that if he had installed the NTx offense, we would have seen a completely different outcome, but something got in the way of that and my guess was it was Gomer doing what Gomer does best, and that is taking over running the Gumbo at the least opportune time. I think (I hope) we'll see a completely different look now that Harrell has more autonomy and an OL coach he has a history with and who has successfully coached in this offense. There's no question the AR is gimmicky but outside of a handful of schools that run a traditional pro set, nearly all run a version of the AR and Oklahoma has taken it to a whole other level.