What if CV doesn’t go away after flu season

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Mar 1, 2020.

1. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 16, 2020
    I’m betting their obesity rate is much less than ours though. Bottom line, statistics can be manipulated and misleading, but if the infection rate is even 25% of what is being projected, we’re gonna get swamped.

Did your daughter make it home ok?

2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Americans also tend to be very hygienic as opposed to Europe. We shower more frequently. In addition, we have a different concept of personal space. Generally our parameters are pretty big. I suspect our infection rate will be much much lower than Italy. Most people that contract this will not need hospitalization.

Boselli likes this.
  3. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 16, 2020
    There will need to be isolation at home for all but the worst cases.

There are situations that will happen that can overwhelm any system or preparations. Hurricane Katrina was a good example. You have to deal with it the best you can.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Far less obesity rate in Italy and lower diabetes rate.

She did. I'm grateful H-J wasn't the chaotic mess that O'Hare was. Nearly empty flight. I am hoping the 2 CV cases announced in Athens encourages some of those kids to make better choices. I was hearing that plenty of them were still planning to get together and socialize in larger groups. My daughter knows she's going to be bored and we are planning for what we CAN do. There are still some mixed messages coming from UGA.

Hope you and your family stay safe and healthy.

5. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Good to hear. I heard but can’t confirm it was two students coming back from a spring vacation trip, together.
    Were fine, but my wife gave me a bottle liquid dish soap as “ hand sanitizer” and doubled my life insurance policy, so that is a tad concerning.

AMLTrojan and DaFireMedic like this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 16, 2020
    UGA has gone to online for the rest of the semester and will be closing residence halls. They say they will be notifying everyone with specific moveout instructions which will incorporate social distancing. Lol. I seriously can't begin to think how this will all happen and trying to coordinate for OOS students? Anyway, my daughter's first year, as with so many other students, has come to an unceremonious and disappointing end.

7PM curfew for you or voluntary shelter in place at 9? I've read both.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  7. shtrojan

shtrojan Active Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Do students receive a refund for their unused room and board?

I wonder how courses with labs are handled online?

8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 16, 2020
    We have been told there will be some refund amount for housing and meal plans but no idea how much at this point. Probably just prorated for the total number of weeks missed which starts today and goes through the 1st week in May.

Lab classes seem to be the foremost on everyone's mind. That and performance classes like music/voice and a few others. My daughter got chemistry over with last semester and fortunately has no labs this semester

shtrojan likes this.
  9. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    Giving you a like is very very painful.

10. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 18, 2020
    Drug used for influenza treatment is showing good results as an treatment for COVID -19.

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/fujifilm-favipiravir-covid-19/

It’s not a vaccine, but it is still good news in that it seems to greatly reduce recovery time. And the drug has already undergone trials for safety on humans for its other clinical uses, so getting it approved for COVID-19 may come fairly quickly.

11. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Mar 19, 2020
    Apparently a bunch of countries are making some breakthroughs

12. shtrojan

shtrojan Active Member

Mar 20, 2020
    The following article shows hospital beds needed for various infection rates over time. Later in the article it shows beds needed for Los Angeles. You can find the numbers for your area by placing your hospital region in the interactive box, if you are not in Los Angeles.

https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/covid-hospitals

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  13. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Personal space isn't an Italian concept.

14. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Mar 21, 2020
    We don't know that it's 10 times deadlier than the flu. We know the number of deaths, don't have the first clue as to how many people have been exposed. But even if it were "10x," that's not a useful number. Mortality for those under 30 might be close to zer0, and maybe 25% of already-sick or elderly.

15. shtrojan

shtrojan Active Member

Mar 21, 2020
    C.D.C. data shows that nearly 40 percent of patients sick enough to be hospitalized were age 20 to 54. So even if younger people are not dying, they are using limited health system resources. Additionally, how many others have they infected?