What do you do when your coach is a great recruiter, but can’t coach?

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by jvjls, Mar 14, 2019.

1. EDH Trojan

EDH Trojan Junior Member

Mar 23, 2019

2. Trojsteve5

Trojsteve5 Junior Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Enfield is pure garbage as a game coach. Demar Derozan, N..Vucevic, Taj Gibson & D.Dedmon were not his recruit!
    Metu and Melton are useless reserves most of the time.

3. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Mar 25, 2019
    USC rec9rd vs Oregon last two years, 4-1. Do you guys even watch games

4. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 25, 2019
    Agreed, very impressive. When was our last game in the tournament? When was Oregon's last game in the tournament? But hey, we absolutely kicked Southern Utah's ass on December 21, so there's that.

5. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Mar 25, 2019
    we went to the tournament two years in a row, then got totally screwed and should have gone even after after losing two starters. This year the talent was not there. You act like Enfield has been terrible. What was life like before , Bibby had one good year, Floyd had a good year, but when you recruit rap stars, how long did you expect it to last?

SouthbayTrojan91 and jjg4sc like this.
  6. TrueTrojan

TrueTrojan Junior Member

Apr 5, 2019
    everyone in college BB knows what AE is about. He lets the kids play street ball and show off the dunks they have been working on and making tapes to get them to the NBA. which is why high level recruits play for him. the down side is he has no idea what defense is or desire to play it. He seems to have a few schemes on offense but the kids generally ignore them after a while and start doing their own thing. of course all of this doesn't produce many wins but does get high recruitng classes. that's what he is in a nutshell. what do we do about it? fire him, of course, he is not a good coach.

Trojack likes this.
  7. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Apr 8, 2019
    I don't really know half as much about hoops as I do football, but I decided that Andy was not the answer two years ago. Problem is there are always excuses. You have to judge a coach based on what he does with what he has to work with. The appeal by Haden was not taken into context in the hire in the first place. And we had gone through some bad stuff with the Majerus stutter fiasco, and Kevin O'Neil, not to mention FBI indictments. But what we didn't need was Garrett to throw Tim Floyd under the bus. If it were up to me, Floyd would still be here. Now the bRuins figure to get Barnes and we are the ones who need him. Obviously Swannie isn't going to ask for that kind of money though.

What irritates me the most is that we had our chance when the rest of the Pac-12 was weak, and we did nothing to elevate ourselves. It becomes obvious at some point that we aren't really serious about filling the Galen Center. It would seem that the best coaches in my time have been Bibby and Floyd and Garrett the genius disposed of both of them. I always felt optimism for hoops then, not these days.

8. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Apr 8, 2019
    Agree with you. I still think Jamie Dixon would take the job and do very well if SC offered him a competitive deal.

9. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Apr 8, 2019
    The real issue is that the last two athletic directors know absolutely nothing about college basketball and the one before them couldn't get out of the way of his toxic personality. There is no question in my mind that if we are going to be in this for the long haul, we need to forget about the instant (possible) gratification from the (possible) one and doners and build something from the ground up with "coachable" players who are just a tad under the radar. And Andy Enfield does not generally recruit those types of players.

Merlin4SC likes this.
  10. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Apr 16, 2019
    I’ve liked AE since the beginning but he may have hit a ceiling. USC has zip for b-ball tradition and he’s given us some good games, beat fucla a bunch. These teams seem to have a lot of injuries and are low on numbers a lot of the time. Thought at one point last season we had 8 healthy players. AE has made SC b-ball a thing, and I’m not sure if we will ever move above that as we aren’t a b-ball school. If we get rid of him it would have to be for a big name, or what little we have will become nonexistent.

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.
  11. Eeks2284

Eeks2284 Junior Member

Apr 17, 2019
    When Enfield has the horses, he's able to field a competitive team. The FBI corruption case screwed over 2017 where he lost his most talented player in Melton and the committee did not want to give USC an at large due to bad publicity, so CAE had to beat Sean Miller and the #1 pick, Ayton (who also had well-documented controversy but the athletic department let him play) for an auto-bid. Couldn't get it and USC was snubbed by the committee. Last year, he failed to get any grad transfers since the roster didn't seem to have rotation spots. Due to injury or locker room disputes, he didn't have O'Bannon, Usher, Porter and Weaver for much of the year. Should have devoted more energy to find a grad transfer big since Uyaelunmo was too much of a project and Rak couldn't stay out of foul trouble. Swung and missed on Utah's grad transfer, Topalovic, though I'm not sure that would have made enough of a difference.

He's generally recruited star-ranking over bball IQ and it hasn't been a recipe for success. Bringing more selfless, tough minded, efficient, high IQ players like J-Mac and Jonah Mathews, who may not be 5 star NBA talent, but who can lead and execute his schemes will get USC back on track. USC's had a great offseason reloading with 8 new players, so the future's looking up.

As for whether USC could do better than CAE, I doubt it, at least at this stage. USC basketball doesn't have the revenue to buyout and pay a top coach (see UCLA). If USC wins more and attracts more fans to support the team (it's pretty close to last in the conference), they might be able to up their revenue to become a destination school. At this point, USC just needs to identify local talent, get them to the league so other recruits take notice and most importantly win and become a perennial tourney participant. CAE has already started doing it and is as good as any coach to get back on track to doing it again.

CCTrojans and jjg4sc like this.
  12. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Apr 17, 2019
    did I lose count, we have had one- one and done in 6 years, Meanwhile he just brought in another two solid transfers

13. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Apr 26, 2019
    USC should be in that top tier of PAC-12 programs along with Oregon/UCLA & Arizona.
    Even when the iron is hot, CAE hasn’t been able to cash it in.

2019-20 is going to be another year where there will be some buzz around the program, highly-touted prospects coming in, and a wide open PAC-12.
    Will CAE be able to string things together and win a regular season or conference title?
    Oregon is losing a lot of talent, and bringing in a top 10 class.
    Arizona is bringing in a top 5 recruiting class to mix with a team that finished in the bottom 1/3rd of the PAC-12 last season.
    UCLA is losing their two best players to the NBA and doesn’t have much coming in, but a lot of length and athleticism returning.

This would be another year where USC can win the PAC-12.
    I’ll be rooting for y’all for at least 16 of the regular season games.

Merlin4SC likes this.
  14. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Total hogwash. USC is not in the top tier of the Pac-12 because our fans are absolute shite. We played in that empty dump of a sports arena when I was a student and I went to every men's game and no one was ever there. I remember one year when we had OK attendance because it was Sam Clancy's senior year and the Craven twins and came on and we finished second in the league. But even then the atmosphere was only great for a couple of games.

We have a beautiful arena now and when we're on TV it looks absolutely empty. USC can hire any coach it wants and we're not going to be a premier basketball program because our fan support is terrible.

J4SC75 likes this.
  15. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Apr 26, 2019
    You ignored the biggest qualifier in my entire post.
    I said that they SHOULD be in the top tier.

16. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Apr 26, 2019
    And the university deliberately made it that way. When they built Galen, they had EVERY opportunity to start something good but instead, they made the place inhospitable to anyone who was not willing to become a Galen Founder. Why drive long distances to go to games where the only seats available to walk-ups have no site lines? I had every intention of becoming a season ticket holder when Galen was built until they showed me where my seats would be if I didn't become a Galen Founder. I said "thanks, I'll stick to TV". Those empty seats belong to donors who wanted to know they would always be available even though they had no intention of actually using them. And the student section? That was an afterthought at best.

Merlin4SC and mvpreed2 like this.
  17. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Not true, I have tickets row 12 at the free throw line and I am not a galen founder. As far as single games, they are giving away great seats for nothing on stub hub.

18. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Agreed....USC should be upper half Pac12 every year, contending for NCAA berth damn near every year.....we are in one of the most fertile recruiting areas of the country......

Lets start with that, with maybe an occasional pac 12 title and deep NCAA run....thats not too.much to ask...

mvpreed2 likes this.
  19. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Inaugural? Like before the arena opened? You must have pleasured someone in the ticket office because when I went up there with my checkbook, they only showed me tickets in the corners up to the rafters. The seats you describe for yourself were NEVER available when I went up there.

20. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Apr 29, 2019
    check again plenty of lower bowl seats available, You can sell your U of A seats and pay for half the season ticket price , gets the price down to about $10 a game