What about Helton and his program would be attractive to a DC?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by USCSAE, Jan 1, 2020.

1. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    I think the upside is huge. If you are a proven DC confident in your abilities and you want to be a head coach, this is the perfect place to be. The fanbase hates everyone associated with the program right now, if you come in and the defense is tops in the Pac 12 and top ten nationally, everyone will love you. If this leads to a great record for USC and a playoff or Rose bowl birth, you will get many offers from Power 5 schools to HC, if your defense is great and the team sucks, you will be in line for the HC position, especially if you show that you can recruit, remember the big signing day is now before the bowl games, not after. That changes things, a good recruiter can make an impact before the coaching decision not after.

2. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    This is what is wrong with everything, this giant obstacle that is soft Mr. Fight. Until he's gone or this gets changed, nothing will change. Not even a competent, DC could do his job and have to - for some dumb reason - convince a Head Coach of a football team. That he needs his team to practice harder and needs that to be the culture instead of talking tough.

Mr. Fight would have to give up more control, which would mean that the OC and DC would be the HC not him. He just does interviews and sets up meetings.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  3. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    I pray this is what happens

4. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    upload_2020-1-1_16-32-46.gif
    I bet Helton would be willing to share his bitch for the right DC....

5. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Job Security. There is none. Might be difficult to get a quality DC hire when you look at Helton’s track record and tenure.

6. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    The difficult reality is the current clown show of Folt and Bohn is likely worse than the previous administrations with Haden and Swann. At least Haden and Swann knew what a championship program is supposed to look like. From what I have seen Folt and Bohn are nothing more than a couple of gullible incompetents who wouldn’t know a championship football program if it crawled up their @sses and exited their mouths.

7. tossem

tossem Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    What? LOL, yeah right, you go and take a coach like 7 win Sark rather than looking for a good coach via interviews and finding who is available who might have the makings of a good coach before making a decision, they might have known his drinking habits. Then to replace him with another coach without a track record that ends up on the same pile! If that was not enough i guess Haden flipped a coin heads O tails Clay and then Swann locks him in on a 5 year contract as if he had just taken the Trojans to the playoffs and you have to ask what did the Trojans do to deserve this? In the Pac 12 there are 2 teams who run the "air raid", they both got beaten like a drum. The Trojans made Iowa look like the Green bay packers, if they can find defensive coaches who can keep Ala. to 30 points it will be a miracle. I am afraid with there 3 star players it will be hard to keep all there 5 &4 star players below 60....

8. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    I agree with Medic - there are probably a number of small conference DCs or possibly defensive position coaches that would see USC as a way to make a name for themselves as the Trojans are still a national brand name (although certainly tarnished a bit at this point). The fact remains that there is some talent at USC and the right type of motivated motivating coach could turn things around for the Trojans on the defensive side and/or on the recruiting side.

As the DC and ILB position coach positions are officially open at this point, then it would seem that either HCCH and/or AD Bohn need to fill those spots and if they get the right type of person then it might go a long way to save their jobs (or maybe not!). But it seems like HCCH and ADMB do owe it to their profession and to their current players that they try and make the staff better and the recruiting better.

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  9. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    I hear Monte’s available. Anybody for a heaping helping of Tampax 2?

10. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    I agree. Look what happened to Harrell as an example.

11. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    I think Swann’s giving Helton that extension when no one wanted Helton is now being listed as the eighth wonder Of the world....

DaFireMedic likes this.
  12. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    It will be talked about around campfires for decades to come.

13. louiebag85

louiebag85 Points Member

Jan 2, 2020
    The opportunity to be a head coach when clay gets fired.

14. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Chance to learn from the best

15. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    How different is our offense from LSU's? They seemed to do fine with an offense that airs it out and moves the ball quickly. OU was the same, but with a much worse defense. I think everyone is getting far too stuck on the term "air raid" offense. The object of an offense is to move the ball and score points. Yes, there are times when you need to be able to run some clock and for the most part USC's offense was able to do that. I do not recall any losses this season due to not being able to run clock. Aside from BYU when poor execution, injuries, and turnovers did us in, being able to run the ball at the end of a game was not our issue. Finally, if you have an offense that is proficient at moving the ball and scoring a lot of points however they can, it makes having to run out the clock at the end of a game a moot point, because you should be up by several scores.

16. FIGHTON!

FIGHTON! Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    1.2m a year.

Fight On! Beat the Tide! Fight On!

17. 87trojan

87trojan Points Member

Jan 2, 2020
    The problem with our version of the air raid is that we weren't dedicated enough to mix in some running plays consistently. The injuries didn't help for sure, but with a suspect offensive line, and a team that saw running as an afterthought, it really left our QB's on an island out there. It is why JT got hurt, and why Slovis was lucky he didn't get killed also.

As for the DC position, I do think an NFLposition guy, or a group of 5 DC who is hungry are the most viable paths to landing a new coordiantor. You turn around the culture and results of this defense, and offers for a head coaching position open up for you. That has to be the allure. NO ONE will relish working for Clay though.

18. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Look what it did for Harell, USC is still a very attractive job. No reason not to get someone great. So what is Heltons job for next year, banquets and rainbows

19. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    I agree with the other stuff you said in your post, but I’m just curious as to why you’d say this one.

Helton is a personable guy, not going to yell at you or hold you accountable when you screw up, no threat of him firing you for not producing results at least until several years after it’s clear that you are ineffective AND the AD forces his hand.

I’m trying to see why anyone would not want to work for him.