WeAreSC Roundtable: USC overachievers and underachievers

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    RoJo drop was so painful for team that deserved a win

gubo&palanka likes this.
  2. Trojan Forever

Trojan Forever Points Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Comment about Mustain is exactly what I was thinking. If RoJo catches that ball and walks in the end zone, it would have been a story book ending for Mustain. Never really having a chance until his last game, starting due to an injury, and pulling out a dramatic win over the Irish. From a John Greenleaf Whittier poem: "For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, it might have been."

3. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    I don't know that Mustain underachieved as much as he was never really given a fair opportunity. I do think that Carroll, for all of his "compete every day" mantra, definitely played favorites, and Barkely (as well as Joe McKnight) were among them.

Billy Miller to me is one who, as a Trojan, underachieved. He was supposed to be the next Keyshawn Johnson, and like Pat Turner a decade later, seemed to pass the eyeball test as a guy who was big, fast, strong, etc. Also, like Turner's USC career, he made some plays, just not all that many, and certainly didn't make us forget Keyshawn.

However, he went on to a very productive pro career.