WeAreSC Roundtable: Spring Breakout Players

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Mar 5, 2019.

2. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Sorry, I'm behind the rumor-mill, but thought I heard Echols entered the transfer portal? Saw him mentioned in this piece, but tough to break out if he's playing for another team?

Hoping that was just a rumor...

3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Mar 5, 2019
    Echols is still on the team. Not in the transfer portal.

4. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Mar 5, 2019
    "Special Teams: P Ben Griffiths

I’m intrigued with Australian punter Ben Griffiths. Flipping the field with great punting is a huge weapon we haven’t had available for some years now. This capability would be a major uptick in defense effectiveness by stretching the field. We’ll see."

I too am intrigued by this guy. I remember how much advantage Tom Malone used to give the Trojans.

Interestingly, I have an employee who is from Australia. He described to me that Griffiths was considered a journeyman type player, which gave me pause. But then he went on to describe what he meant. First off, he said that virtually all of the players at Griffiths' level are expert at placing the ball, and that includes while "on the run". Secondly, I realized that what my guy was also saying is that we Americans would describe Griffiths as "blue collar". Apparently, Griffiths loves contact and has no problem taking hits with no pads. In other words, pay no attention to Griffiths' Calvin Klein (underwear commercial) good looks. He is a baller.
    My guy further explained that the stars are the ultra fast shifty guys. But SC is not asking Griffiths to play running back. But that doesn't mean we won't see him running the ball on fakes. This threat alone could leave the return man without as much blocking.

As Kevin says, "We'll see". Intriguing indeed.

OC2SC and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking !

6. TrojanManDan132

TrojanManDan132 Junior Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Solomon Tuliapupu will be the breakout sttar of the team this Spring. He'll dominate and win a starting spot somewhere on this defense. Book it.

Troy70 likes this.
  7. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Curious if any of the staff considered Marlon Tuipoluto as a breakout player? I only ask because he is a year further removed from whatever the back problem was that halted his freshman season (which looked promising), so one would think that he can fulfill his potential now.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Mar 5, 2019
    That's kind of a cop out Arledge. To me breakout player means they accomplished nothing last season. Both Jackson and Tufele received extensive playing time. Tufele even made second team all-conference. That's just my opinion.

9. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Mar 5, 2019
    He was in the running for me. Definitely excited to see him out there this spring.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. Yale

Yale Points Member

Mar 5, 2019
    lots of positive opinions...
    I always look to see how many on the injured list as usual , and are limited or held out...
    since helton took over,seems like every time they have to tackle,hit or block they can't ,it would be great to have a new trend.

11. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Agree with Greg about LB Mauga. He looked like a future star in the making... then he kind of disappeared. Was he injured or just sat on the bench a lot after his fast start?

12. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I am excited about him too. I saw this interesting post on twitter about him:
    Tuesday was the public debut of former 4-star LB Solomon Tuliaupupu, who redshirted in '18 (foot). He notched a physical PBU that came w/ his patented intensity. Fellow ILB Palaie Gaoteote said it nearly brought tears to his eyes to see his "brother" back on the field again

13. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Mar 6, 2019
    That of course would encompass Tuliaupupu out playing Houston Jr and Gaoteote which is going to be a tough task. I do agree that Tuliaupupu will earn major playing time and could possibly become a starter as the season progresses.

14. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Mar 6, 2019
    IE has been moved to Will (he even talked about playing the position last season) so it's possible he could be on the field at the same time with Solo at Mike.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  15. 2blkk

2blkk Junior Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Interesting. I saw that E.A made a position change. I was wondering if his new position calls for calling plays. If so, would mean that s.tuli
    And john Houston are in a battle?

16. USCTFL

USCTFL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Troy Troy Troy!