WeAreSC Roundtable: QB Depth Chart

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 21, 2019.

1. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    “that meltdown when Clay Helton released the quarterback depth chart was one for the ages.”

Understatement of the year. It’s worse than when the announcement was made that Helton was retained. And being that the vast majority expected JT to be named starter, most of this meltdown is over the choice for the #2-#4 positions.

Anybody watch that Chernobyl miniseries on HBO?

2. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Really? I don't think he's pulled a single player from Texas yet? What's he waiting for? This class could use a 4 and 5 star player with the early signing period approaching. I don't see USC leading for any Texas recruits.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Agree but you can't burn too many bridges in your own back yard. Especially with Oregon's Cristobol camped out at Mater Dei these days. MD is not the lock as it use to be. Ask Miles Muaro, Sean Dollars and Masa Funa.

Clay should go with his guy but he could have told Jack Sears I'm going with Slovis privately and then list Fink and Sears as (or) it would have been a classy move. This was kinda a unnecessary slap in Jack's face.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. Yale

Yale Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    man the life boats if you got aboard this sinking ,former titanic of college football...survive until keener minds arrive to rescue.

5. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    I like Chris's take on the "golden parachute" house in Maui for Gomer. I got $20 saying this huckster's already started construction on his dream home...only it's on the Redneck Riviera; I'm thinking Orange Beach, AL. It'll be just a stone's throw from the best bar in the area...Flora-Bama! Burned many braincells there, back in my flight school days.

6. Coopsc72

Coopsc72 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    I hope you're being sarcastic, name 5 MD alums doing anything in the NFL of significance this decade? In fact , are there 5 guys in college football now from MD that are can't miss NFL prospects? MD players are always overrated.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  7. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    The dept chart is what it is and there will be no leap frogging. Imagine the credibility if the #2 guy got jumped in a real game situation. It'd be worse than what it is now. I don't think that's their mindset anyways so I don't think they intend to do that.

I imagine if they wanted to start playing Frogger (I had to, this is my era), they'd have a plan for a weekly dept chart taking in consideration for "injury" or other factors, if they wanted to move one of the other guys up.

I'm on record as saying I saw JT play scared last season and gave up on a few plays. I know he did and I don't care what anybody else thinks. I said he should have gotten benched during a few games. We all saw that he wasn't the leader last season, based on game day views. His lack of leadership on the sidelines and in games I'm sure didn't help the offense any. He needs to take charge. Change his body language. Change they way he relates to his offense on the sideline. Don't go talk to the walk-ons in the back of the bench when you have your starting guys you're not clicking with. Lots need to change in his mental game. I want him to be Baker Mayfield.

I hope he gets mad at guys like me and go win a Heisman or two. He's capable of it with all the weapons he has and a supposed better QB coach. I'm of the opinion that he should get the start this season and either keep or lose it based on his play. Having one season behind him and the fact that he's the starter, I think he'll feel some responsibility and confidence in being the rightful leader of this team.

I want to see his body language on game day. I'm hoping he gets in a fight. Yes, I do. He needs to. Go JT. Fight On! And I really mean FIGHT ON.

CP619, Rodgarnay51 and Wolfpack4SC like this.
  8. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    After hearing from the coaching staff I’m beginning to wonder how much weight I want to give to all this “gamer” chatter about Sears. Maybe he was a “gamer” in HS, but he clearly isn’t one at the collegiate level. If he was such a gamer he would have taken over the QB spot at the ASU game like Darnold did two years prior. Then, instead of taking boxing during the off-season, maybe he should have been working with a QB coach like Slovis. Erik himself indicated that Slovis has incredible skills, and Harrell must feel confident he can get him to the next level to pick him over the others. I think that is a good thing and much more important to have the coach believe the player’s abilities will fit his coaching than have him trying to fit his offense around a “gamer “. I’ve seen a lot of gamers who never did anything but give fans a lot of false hope.

9. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    I imagine they thought he would be better than he is, at least for a pass-happy offense. Sears was a highly rated recruit. There was no reason not to recruit him. As you know, you can't hit a home run with all of them.

CP619 likes this.
  10. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    The selection was based on being a good "practicer", according to the coaches, so gamers can't show their game in practice. Sam had a few games until he showed gamer status too.

11. Rodgarnay51

Aug 22, 2019
    You would have been scared too if you would have been a true freshman QB thrust into a situation where there was no blocking and every snap was an adventure. He was lucky he wasn't seriously injured.

The article in today's LATimes makes it sound like Slovis truly is the best option for Number 2, and he came close to being Number 1.

CP619 likes this.
  12. Rodgarnay51

Aug 22, 2019
    If you're trying to say the meltdown is unwarranted and premature, I'm in complete agreement.

CP619 likes this.
  13. biglouie

biglouie Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    The team has to believe and trust in the QB and the coaches, but they have to rally around the OB

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Aug 22, 2019
    Maybe he did tell him privately.

15. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019

I totally agree just perplexed.
    In order to hit a home run one must get a chance to bat?

CP619 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  16. Wolfpack4SC

Aug 22, 2019
    He got a chance and only got to first base.

CP619 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  17. Rodgarnay51

Aug 22, 2019
    True, but all of them are inexperienced. You've got to pick someone. I would have picked JT too. I'm one of those who thinks his passing ability will surface in an offense that's not so disjointed.

True, there were too many chuck-and-ducks last year. But he threw some beautiful passes at times too. I'm also less concerned about him throwing 50-50 balls than some of the others. With all those tall, physical receivers I'd probably do the same thing, especially since he was under constant duress and wanted to make something happen. I imagine he will have a lot better coaching this year; at least I hope so.

CP619 likes this.
  18. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019

He got one game and played pretty well in a loss.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  19. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019

Me too.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  20. Wolfpack4SC

Aug 22, 2019
    Against one of the worst defenses. I liked his energy and how the team rallied a bit (the OL still sucked), but he didn’t play to the level that I thought he deserved to be ahead of JT. I actually thought Fink was a bigger “gamer” when he got to play...until he got injured. Based upon that I’d say it seems like they got it about right.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.