WeAreSC Roundtable: Initial thoughts to Kingsbury hire

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Dec 5, 2018.

1. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Dec 6, 2018
    A starter is almost never replaced the following year, other than for injury. It really isn't an open competition. Booty was never going to upend ML, Mark wasn't going to get past Booty, no one was going to replace Mark...that's just how it goes.

If the starter falters, that's another story, but it's hard to imagine JT not being the starter.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  2. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Without doing any research, just from what I remember watching the games, TT has gone thru about 6 different starting QBs over the last 2 yrs due to injuries. If I remember correctly, in one game this yr they had a WR at QB. They have also played a couple true freshman, which, as we know... can lead to some down numbers.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Or maybe Pat Mahomes leaving?

4. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 6, 2018
    Kid knows more than Clay and Tee.

Islander 4 USC and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 6, 2018
    I would say the rest of college football caught up to them as well.

6. Mike W - Irvine CA

Mike W - Irvine CA Member

Dec 6, 2018
    It appears that we have properly addressed one coaching position. I believe it was a good hire and I'm optimistic as what we will likely see next season. I know we've been historically been Running Back U, but times have changed and maybe we need to step into the second decade of the new millennium with a new look. I think we will always recruit solid running backs. But can we develop that talent and utilize it to full potential??

Let's see what we end up with regarding other holes in the staff. D line, D backs, and especially, O line. Coach Callaway certainly hasn't impressed me.

7. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    If we are a top 10 team next year it is not because just the offense improves. It will be because discipline, tackling, strength and conditioning improves. That has to be on the HC. I have my doubts that CCH can do it but I hope for the best.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    I think your comparison to Chow is very interesting Garry. I can remember when Carroll brought Chow in, I thought am I really ready for the BYU offense at SC? I have no such misgivings with Kingsbury. It would be almost impossible for him not to make a major improvement over the convoluted, poorly designed, indecisive, uninspired mess that the Trojans were under Tee Martin. I don't care what the system is, as long as it's a system. It's also difficult to believe that Helton hasn't been told to stand down. I'm assuming he's on a short leash, as in one more year.

One BIG question I haven't seen answered yet is how does Kingsbury handle short-yardage situations? I have to admit I haven't watched a whole lot of Texas Tech football games in recent years. SC's short-yardage offense under Helton was the worst I've ever seen at SC with the exception of the famous loss to Baylor under Tollner when SC had first and goal on the one yard line, at home, and couldn't score. So I'm very curious - how does Kingsbury handle short yardage situations? Surely even the Air Raid faces them once in awhile. Thanks in advance.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. Rodgarnay51

Dec 6, 2018
    I'm hopeful that Swann has told Helton, you will do this or else. For Helton's own good, he will do it or he will have another poor season and get replaced.

10. Rodgarnay51

Dec 6, 2018
    I agree. I imagine Kingsbury is salivating over JT's passing ability.

11. Rodgarnay51

Dec 6, 2018
    It doesn't bother me in the slightest. We saw a half-ass imitation of SC power running for so long I'm ready to try something else, as long as there is a real system in place.

I'm still very curious to see how Kingsbury handles short-yardage situations.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Thanking God that he dodged a major bullet...for now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018