WeAreSC Roundtable: Initial thoughts to Kingsbury hire

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Dec 5, 2018.

2. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    "Some people are chess players and some are chess masters." And some people only know how to play checkers...

sctrojan2006 likes this.
  3. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    I'm with GarryP on this one, sad to see this happen to Tailback U, and with Kevin that it has gone from wobbly at best to nada now and that JT is no longer the given front runner. I was looking forward to a different O next year. And unless KK has turned a new leaf and has some Chow-esque stuff up his sleeve, the sadness remains.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. IceColdBruin

IceColdBruin New Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Well.. .

Attached Files:

• KK.jpg
      KK.jpg
      File size:
      132.8 KB
      Views:
  5. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018

Head coach stats don’t really figure in, for this.

Come back with the offensive stats for Kingsbury’s teams.

Trojan12 and Kaptain Karl like this.
  6. IceColdBruin

IceColdBruin New Member

Dec 5, 2018
    KK was still running the offense you'd expect him to win with right, asking for a friend?

7. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Doesn't most everyone in the Big12 have gaudy offensive stats because no one plays defense with the possible exception of Texas.

8. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Okay guys, great points made by all and many I myself made on this board already but you managed to omit something HUGE. USC has never had to develop dual-threat QBs but did recruit a few over the years. Under Kingsbury's guidance USC will FINALLY begin to develop dual-threat QBs and recruit them even more than ever with a program in place to fully utilize their talents. One thing for sure is Jack Sears and Matt Fink are smiling from ear to ear. JT better up his game because only passing in the Air Raid offense isn't going to cut it unless he's at least a 70%-75% passer in completion percentage like MenShew at WSU. Bru McCoy is going to kill it in this offense at WR and Bryce Young at QB.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    God Bless you KB.
    You always tell it like it is.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Speaking of Bru McCoy and JT, here is what Bru said regarding Kingsbury:

“I saw they just hired Kliff Kingsbury and I’m really excited about that,” McCoy said. “I’ve heard nothing but great things about him as a person and I’m excited to meet him."

“I know a lot about his offense and how they run it and if you’re a wide receiver, you can’t help but be excited. They play four wide receivers and rotate six and seven guys so you’re going to get playing time. I love the up tempo, full spread offense, it’s exactly what we have been doing at Mater Dei the last three years and I know JT (Daniels, USC QB) is super excited to play in this system too. It fits him perfectly.

“Watching the old USC offense and seeing all the two wide receivers sets on 3rd and long was so frustrating. When you have as many athletes as USC does, you have to use them. I mean USC has as many athletes as any school in the country, especially at the receiver position and I think Kingsbury is the kind of coach who knows how to use them and maximize everyone’s ability. I talked to Amon-Ra (St. Brown, USC WR) the other day and he can’t wait to play in this system and said everyone there is excited too.”

USCTFL, VM805, Rodgarnay51 and 8 others like this.
  11. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Thanks for sharing. The quote by McCoy is telling and he's speaking the truth. I bet the offensive players are chomping at the bit to get a hold of the playbook. I know I would be!

12. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    I would be surprised if JT isn't the starting QB next year. I've been watching these types of offenses since their inception and a dual threat QB is not the norm, its the outlier. Having said that, I hope there is a battle at QB, I'd like to see more of Sears and see what he can do, I am not ready to hand Sears the reigns because he threw one good deep ball and can avoid sacks in a Tee Martin/Clay Helton offense. My initial thought is that the KK hire further distances JT from the other two, but I'm not 100% certain as I have not seen enough of either of the other two QBs.

I think people underestimate JTs abilities and they way they fit into KKs offense, they also overestimate KK's QBs being dual threat. The numbers don't show these QBs being successful rushers outside of Manziel. Basically, these QBs ran less and less the longer they were in the system.

Keenum 300 rushes 897 yds
    Mahomes 309 rushes 1330 yds
    Webb 44 rushes for 10 yds
    Manziel 345 rushes 2169 yds
    Kingsbuty himself 273 rushes for -166 yds.

And yes I know sacks count against rushing yards, but still.

Its a short passing system that prides itself on getting the ball out quickly and throwing with accuracy. I have only seen this from JT this year, again Sears didn't really get a chance to show these traits as he only played one full game, but I think JT will thrive in this system as he is the most accurate passer of the bunch. He had his finest half of the season against our toughest opponent and I think, in that game, he showed a little bit of why he was so highly recruited. I would not be surprised if he puts up some gaudy numbers next year, but I'm all for a Qb battle and I hope both Sears and Fink get a chance to show what they can do.

VM805, Rodgarnay51, ssk121 and 2 others like this.
  13. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Inevitable.....We are in a new world.There is still blocking and tackling to be sure but to what end? We play against these kinds of offenses so it would be of help to Clancy to practice against an offense that runs a similar system........ He is known for his ability to stop these kinds of offenses and he held opponents (for the most part) 17, 15, 27. 28 etc so although there is hand wringing about big plays (and who likes that) The point is or D was not the problem....Scoring points was the problem. Scoring points in the second half and 4th quarter was the problem.An 18 ear old QB who was not at spring practice and cold not establish leadership at the position was the problem.....!

Enter the new OC.....JT can throw the living hell ot of the ball and look at the Mater Dei tapes.He is a better athlete then he is given credit for. He had his best game against ND and with an off season, Spring practice and Kliff I feel he will make great strides....!

Opposition scores 28 ....We score 48.....It's a brave new world.....!

Rodgarnay51 and Butcher22 like this.
  14. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Greg spelled out the real issue.
    Will Helton step aside. Putting it nicely, he is stubborn, putting it bluntly he is arrogant or delusional.

Helton thinks he is really good at something he is god awful at. Will he step aside and let someone who knows what they are doing run the show?
    I am skeptical.

Next year will suck even more than this year emotionally if we have a Corvette in the garage and our HC is too busy setting his jaw to open the damn door. (Swann this situation is squarely on you!)

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  15. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    I think people hear "air raid" and have all the pre-conceived notions that it needs a dual threat QB and they never run the ball..... well, they run the ball a hell of a lot better than USC has recently and JT can absolutely run this offense.

16. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Lynn better make it clear To Clay that KK runs the O. We all saw Clay didn’t do nothing taking over as OC.

17. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    I'm pleased with the hire for reasons I've already stated. I think KK will help a struggling offense, and I look forward to seeing it.

But I wonder if anybody has insight into what was going on at Texas Tech that led to his struggles there. Here are Texas Tech’s offensive yards-per-play national rankings and raw figures for the last four years:

2015 – 5th (6.8 yards per play)

2016 – 24th (6.2)

2017 – 39th (5.8)

2018 – 57th (5.6)

At the end of KK’s time at Tech, it wasn’t just Texas Tech’s defense that was struggling. I didn't follow Tech closely. I don't know the reason for this ugly trend in KK's offenses there. Does anybody have an explanation?

18. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    It may be due to the transition of QBs. In 2015 and 2016 Mahomes was the QB and proved to be able to extend plays, avoid sacks, and gain considerable yards with his legs. I am not familiar with the scrambling ability of either Shimonek (2017) or Bowman (2018). Also, Bowman was a True Freshman starting QB in 2018.

The following are the rushing stats for the QBs during the same four year period.

2015: 456yds Mahomes
    2016: 285yds Mahomes
    2017: -66yds Shimonek
    2018: -26yds Bowman (Fr)

source of stats: www.cfbstats.com

19. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Kudos to @sctrojan2006 : This really looks like the smoking gun. Recognizing a trend gives you the ability to change it. Hopefully KK is on top of this.

uscjrl98 and sctrojan2006 like this.
  20. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

Dec 6, 2018
    So if USC is Top 10 team next year, then its all due to KK right? So what is CH doing other than cashing a big check?

uscjrl98 and gubo&palanka like this.