WeAreSC Roundtable: Favorite USC football memory

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 9, 2020.

1. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    The 74 comeback versus the Irish is without a doubt my best. I wanted to say the game we finally beat the Irish after that 10 losses in a row, maybe 2005? Anytime you shut out ugly is a lasting memory

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  2. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 12, 2020
    One of my fondest memories of the past decade took place during the 2011 Notre Dame game, which I was listening to on the car radio. My mood was growing sullen as the momentum was shifting to the Domers, who had the ball on our one yard line and were poised to score a touchdown. But then their quarterback fumbled the snap and the ball went flying to the turf where Trojan strong safety Jawanza Starling scooped it up and ran it all the way back for a Trojan touchdown. The Trojans never looked back and went on to win the game 31-17. On a sad note, that would be our last victory at Notre Dame Stadium.

AMLTrojan likes this.
  3. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jul 12, 2020
    1974 ND
    2005 Orange Bowl (2004 NC) vs Oklahoma
    2005 ND
    1975 Rose Bowl
    1980 Rose Bowl

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. 559er

559er Junior Member

Jul 12, 2020
    1996. Breaking the streak. I was shouting in the street after the game.

Merlin4SC likes this.
  5. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 14, 2020
    I was at the game.
    At the time, a joke was going around about a dog who stood up and barked when Notre Dame beat USC had never seen USC win. The stranger sitting next to me must have heard the joke because when Mark Cusano secured the Trojan victory by batting down Domer quarterback Ron Powlus' fourth-down pass, he turned to me and said, "the dog is dead." Had I not been with guests, I would have joined the thousands of fans who stormed onto the field after the game.

6. wes4usc

wes4usc Junior Member

Jul 14, 2020
    The cool thing is that I attended every one of the games on this list. And everyone brings back great memories.

I also remember saying "the dog is dead" at that end of the streak ending ND game. I had taken my daughter to that game - she was a HS senior and a life long Trojan (in grade school she knew more about college FB than all the boys). She was applying to SC at the time. After they game ended she kept saying "now I HAVE to go to USC". Well, she did go to SC and of course, went to all the games. She was at the UCLA streak breaking game (the Chad Morton "guarantee win" game) and was sitting in the "sundeck". There is a photo of the students knocking over the fence in front of the sundeck and rushing the field after the game - she was in the first wave of students and I can pick her out in the photo.

I attended the Oklahoma BCS game. At halftime the game was "in the refrigerator" for SC and EVERYONE at the game knew it. I remember going to the BR, which was packed with lines of SC fans. We were all grinning from ear to ear and then we all spontaneously began singing "Fight On" at the top of our lungs and laughing our heads off! Must have been at least 200 of us going at it. After that, I went out side and stood on the ramp and called my daughter back home. She was a grad at that point and working for a CPA firm (thank you, USC degree!). She was watching at a sports bar in OC and she said guess who we just met and is watching the game with us? It was Anthony Davis! I told her tell him we used to live in the same dorm his freshman year - Stonier Hall. He was real nice to her and and her friends and sent a bunch of autographed pictures (for free!) I have more memories - I'll write more later.

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  7. 63blegs

63blegs Junior Member

Jul 14, 2020
    Great USC memory and also one of my favorite moments as well. I didn't start that game but played the second half, we never questioned if we had a chance Rodney was our leader. That game set up the next years game at UCLA another great memory as well.

My favorite moment was the last play of the 1990 Rose Bowl. Todd called victory formation, i snapped him the ball, he took a knee, the clock counted down and Todd raised his arms in the air holding the ball, i took it from him and said you'll get yours next year!

So many feelings in this game, end of my time at USC, finally winning the Rose Bowl after losing the last 2, all the sacrifices we all went through as a team at that moment USC was back.

8. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 14, 2020
    Thanks for sharing Blegs.

9. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Junior Member

Jul 15, 2020
    This is my category. Great memory...it was UCLA -8. Bounced around 7 to 8 during the week then 7.5-8 on game day but most joints ended up closing at -8

10. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 16, 2020
    To me, one of the most memorable games in the UCLA series took place in 1981. Late in the game, the Trojans led 22-21, but the Bruins drove into field goal range and called a timeout. And then they held a lengthy Kaffeeklatsch on the 29 yard line before finally getting into field-goal formation.

A field goal would have landed the Bruins in the Rose Bowl. But Trojan Right Tackle Charles Ussery and Left Tackle Dennis Edwards opened a hole for Nose Guard George Achica--who had just come off the bench and was playing hurt. Achica blocked the Bruins' field goal and spoiled their Rose Bowl hopes.

11. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    SC vs ugly Juices long run to win the game
    SC vs ugly Marinovich pass in end zone to win the crazy finish I cannot for the life of me remember big catch receiver
    SC vs city college of Indiana “Bush push”

12. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    The one play that sticks in my mind for some reason happened in the 2002 UCLA game.

Carson Palmer rolled out, couldn't find anyone, then proceeded to sprint down the right sideline. Bruin cornerback Ricky Manning gave chase like a heat-seeking missile, and you could see they were going to have a cataclysmic collision near the goal line. Manning hit Palmer, knocking him out of bounds just before he crossed the goal line (SC scored a play or two later) but Palmer immediately bounced up with his arms raised, thinking he'd scored.

I recall the announcer saying that the hit must've taken away Pete Carroll's breath, because of the potential for serious injury to Palmer, but I tell ya, my breath was taken away because that play was, well - breathtaking.

13. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Jul 16, 2020
    All the big ones mentioned, but the 27-0 beatdown of the Bruins was momentous. Even Plaschke apologized after that one. It put a huge exclamation point on USC being back with Pete leading the way. SC had beaten the hated ones for a couple of years, but this was a taken behind the woodshed, stole their lunch money kind of a$$ kicking...and I enjoyed every minute of it. It even had a signature play with Simmons intercepting the ball, catching it between his legs then returning it for a TD, with the Bruin just standing there watching as if he had already given up. Priceless.

14. SOUTH COUNTY TROJAN

SOUTH COUNTY TROJAN Junior Member

Jul 17, 2020
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet but it certainly ranks with the best. That is the 1964 USC vs. Notre Dame game. The Irish, led by Heisman winner John Huarte, were undefeated. They led 17-0 at the half. The Trojans fought back. Down 17-13 they faced a 4th down on the ND 15 yard with little time left. They ensuing Fertig to Sherman pass for a touchdown ranks right up there with all the great ones. It may be a slight stretch but I don't think there was a Trojan fan that wasn't standing for the entire 2nd half.

901 Club likes this.
  15. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Yet another great memory was the UCLA game played on November 22, 1969. Both teams were undefeated and the Rose Bowl was at stake.

I was riding in a bus at the time. The driver had the game on the radio, and I was straining to listen to it. And I was growing despondent as the Bruins led 12-7 late in the game. But then Trojan quarterback Jimmy Jones found split end Sam Dickerson open in the corner of the end zone. Dickerson caught Jones' 32-yard pass, sending the Trojans to Pasadena.

16. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    I thought about taking this exact screen shot and circling the runners just like this in the story.