WeAreSC Roundtable: Defensive Coordinator candidates

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 30, 2019.

1. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Jan 1, 2020
    As long as we have the current leadership, a little visual for the pipe dreams.

RinkerPipeDream.gif

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    TroyWill likes this.
  2. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Richards and Del Rio are my 1a, and 1b. Richards may still be available while Del Rio looks to be off the table, signing with Washington Redskins. After those two, Nielsen, Strong, and Arnett. IMO the former players like Richards, JDR, Nielsoen will bring that USC passion, and tough football culture back to a defense that parted like the Red Sea welcoming any opponent with a pulse into our end zone. That culture change may have an effect on the entire team! Furthermore, the former players may be more welcoming to the idea of working for a coach that's been underachieving while on the hot seat for the past two seasons. Others on the list may have reservations working for this coach and may demand a redicilous sum of money in return for their services.

3. Jeromy007

Jeromy007 New Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Charlie Strong only focusing on the defensive side of the ball would be great for SC. Can he recruit in Cali though? We need recruiters that keep the 5 star Cali kids in Cali.

4. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Charlie Strong would be a great recruiter in SoCal. I recall he pulled some high level talent out of California, Florida, and Texas while he has been in his last three HC spots. He is a great DC and a so-so HC. Coming to SC and showing what he can do as a DC could resurrect his reputation and career, AKA Lane Kiffin. And he wouldn't be tied to having to stay for a while in the case Helton is relieved of his duties in the next year or two.

Jeromy007 likes this.
  5. Ccoralles

Ccoralles Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Arledge. You mention the fan base is One part Demoralized, one part Furious, and one part Apathetic. For me, I’ve graduated from furious long ago. I’m passed demoralized. So I’m the part Apathetic. Who gives a crap anymore? Folt, Bohn, and Clay sure the hell don’t, so why should I?

Sit back, get your popcorn ready to watch USC squeak bye the lower tier teams on schedule, lose to teams they have no business losing to, and getting the doors blown off by teams with equal talent on the field. It’s a sad state of football today at USC, and nobody with any power gives a crap about it.

OC2SC and AZTrojan38 like this.
  6. TrojanFootsteps

TrojanFootsteps Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Like the idea of charlie strong i believe he runs a 4-3 front. I would also like the new DC have a focus on the DL so a guy like Todd Bates from clemson would be solid. The only downside is that he has never been a DC but if you can get things right upfront its helps alot.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  7. Ccoralles

Ccoralles Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    I would look at the tape of all the candidates and find out which one had the best contain football on the edges and assignment football. I wouldn’t look at tackling, because Clay and his soft ass practices will ruin that, but from a scheme perspective, who understands contain edge football the best, would be my pick.

8. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    That's tough. I haven't seen many teams, if any, who can consistently contain the edges in college. I watched both Wisconsin and Oregon last night consistently give up big yardage on jet sweeps. Same went for Georgia and Baylor. Getting these kids to bite on those inside fakes just seems to be a natural phenomenon.

9. drideaux22

drideaux22 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Helton Should consider Arnett for all those reasons. It just feels too logical for Helton to Screw this up. But then again what do I know...?

AJSCFAN likes this.
  10. 87trojan

87trojan Points Member

Jan 2, 2020
    The question is can we really land someone who is willing to work under clueless Clay? Also will Clueless really let the guy have full autonomy to bring in his own assistants, and change the culture which needs to be changed? The charmin sott stuff is killing the very fabric of this program.

Why do I see Helton botching this royally?

11. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Jan 3, 2020
    Then again if Richard ever wanted to be a HC here now would be a great time to come aboard since we'll probably be in the market for one soon.

I'd be OK with Strong or Barnett. Echoing what others have said I've been impressed watching SDSU play defensively.

RPBSC likes this.
  12. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Jan 3, 2020
    My late idea. MissState just fired their HC. His DC is Bob Shoop (ex Vandy/Pennstate/TN DC). had his fail at TN like Wilcox at USC, but overall considered one of the best. Bring him as a package w/ Marve (LB) and Jones (ST). All SEC experience, no USC or PAC-12 or CCH connections or experience ... prob a good thing, no aspirations as a HC, very affordable salaries, instant toughness. Manhattan Beach et al might be a culture shock, but GH family move from northern Tx has been a hit for them. Lets see if CCH can really recruit coaches. Hell EdO would vouch for them, get them before LFK grabs them.

I amend this to propose (if he is serious) Rocky Long and Arnett

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  13. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 5, 2020
    Whoever comes in as DC would have to know that Helton is on the hottest of hot seats. If Helton is conducting the search, as you would expect, I wonder how he would handle that issue with any new candidate. That candidate certainly would have a legitimate and secure job right now; why would he leave that for what is possibly a sinking ship?

Then, what if the gossip is correct and Bohn is handling the search? The candidates aren't fools. Would Bohn give them some sort of job security if they accepted?

14. D-Time

D-Time Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Figures, I was recruiting for JDR several weeks before the bowl game fiasco, went on vacation and USC freaking waited too long! JDR is now off the board, so I believe Charlie Strong is our next best candidate for DC. He certainly has the swag to keep local recruits in the neighborhood. Next DC needs to be someone who has a certain "TNS" attitude and establishes a presence, which ultimately commands respect and gets these young dudes to play smarter. I believe the current Trojans played hard but the lack of preparation and discipline was rather evident. FIGHT ON!

15. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Wade Phillips just became available

16. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Why not Long himself?

LDIABootney and ICEnEC like this.
  17. oajr01

oajr01 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    If Joe Barry is one of the candidates for DC (supposedly Helton interviewed him), and with all due respect to Mr. Barry, if that's where we're at I think something is going on with the program/school. Something just isn't right.

We have no firepower.

18. Jeromy007

Jeromy007 New Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Charlie Strong for defensive coordinator. #getitdone

zitorocks and EDH Trojan like this.