WeAreSC Roundtable: Defensive Coordinator candidates

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 30, 2019.

1. BigBen

BigBen Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    A lot of the names being thrown around sound amazing, but I wonder if any of them are realistic. Article on ESPN was saying that Kris Richard would be interviewing for the NYG HC position...so I doubt DC for USC is even on his radar.

ConquerorSC and 84Trojan like this.
  2. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Great point. Richard is interviewing for the Giants' head coaching position. Do the pro coaches want to coach in college? JDR has obvious interest in coaching at SC, but does he want to come as DC?

3. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    I don't know about this. I think that hiring Harrell/Kingsbury took some eating humble pie because he was giving up being OC, a great deal of his reason for being at SC. He had to admit that his offense stunk. But we'll see.

023lenlen likes this.
  4. ScMafia

ScMafia Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    I think it’ll be Arnett but would like to see del rio just to see helton shake in his pants

5. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    Lots of reports that Baylor's Matt Rhule is the guy to watch for the Giants job. Heard a lot of talk even back before the season started that Rhule was destined for the NFL after this season. The Giants make sense, as he coached there in 2012.

LDIABootney likes this.
  6. SC1952

SC1952 Member

Dec 31, 2019
    I Barry doesn`t replace Wade with the Rams, He might want to stay in the area and has NFL DC experience.Arnett if you want the college DC route.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  7. Carson2Kareem

Carson2Kareem Member

Dec 31, 2019
    In order of importance for the next guy is 1) culture/toughness, 2) scheme, 3) name. You can win with a variety of different base defenses, but you won't get anywhere without a culture change. Hopefully CH hands over the keys.

Unless Aranda or Venables are being brought in to be the HFC, any discussion about those two becoming our DC is a waste of time IMHO.

biglouie and LDIABootney like this.
  8. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Recall Joe clashing with Monte who failed

9. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    I wonder why Rhule turned down an interview offer from the Browns?

10. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    I'm for Jack.

It's stunning how far we've fallen and how fast (I'm still kind of numb over the state of our program). I think Jack hates this. And for those of us old enough to remember him as a player, he had a nasty side to him - the polar opposite of our head coach. I want his attitude. He's the type to say, "Alabama may beat us but we're going to fill their faces with blood in the process".

I was buying all the "let's get someone outside of the family" parade before the hiring of Folt and Bohn. Welp, that didn't go the way we'd hoped. We have two people in charge who don't seem to get USC football - its importance to the school, fans, etc. I want someone who understand's SC football and takes all this crap personally. Jack does.

An added plus for hiring him as DC is that he can slide into that "interim head coach" slot once Clay is fired (hopefully, after the Alabama game).

racea911 and Esthersar like this.
  11. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Jan 1, 2020

12. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Jan 1, 2020
    You know that JDR wants to coach at USC?

13. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Jan 1, 2020
    I think we’re all looking at who the next DC will be in the wrong way....we have been suggesting the “logical”, “best”, “obvious” candidates....what we should be thinking about is what our dysfunctional clowns (Bohn, Folt, BoT,etc) seem to deliver...who is the shittiest most unimpressive DC candidate available ...that’s Our Guy!!

OrangeBill likes this.
  14. OrangeBill

OrangeBill Points Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Exactly. No one of consequence wants to work under Helton. Expect to see a nondescript nobody or an unemployed guy looking for a fat paycheck. The other possibility is that after being refused for the umpteenth time Helton promotes one of the current position coaches to the job. In any event, expect no improvement. GOMER GOTTA GO!

15. Oregon Trojan

Oregon Trojan Points Member

Jan 1, 2020
    The real question is what direction does Bohn/Admin/BOT wish to gi. Hire an experienced DC wirh the believe he will be replacing CH as HFC and cash out unwanted staff (expensive). Or, hire the less costly DC, replace CH midseason with inexperienced interim and go through all this uncertainty again next year. I don't know but I do know all of this uncertainty has led us to where we find ourselves today. Let's hope they have a plan that will work in the best interest of the football team, fans, and supporters. Fight On

16. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    He has openly said that he would love to be the head coach at SC. Said so at the time we beat Stanford early this season, did so in a politic kind of way because Helton was the de facto head coach. Look it up.

17. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Uncertainty? You think anything is certain today or was going to be when they chose not to fire Helton? He is hanging again, #1 hot seat in college football, and as you said, the uncertainty will continue to hurt this program big time.