WeAreSC Mailbag

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 20, 2019.

2. Rod

Rod Active Member

Sep 20, 2019
    The Darnold-Slovis comparison is spot on. However, I categorically disagree with the response to the transfer question.

3. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    Agree on the Pittman PI call. One of the worst to go against SC in recent memory.

The game shouldn't have been that close, but it was. And that call changed the outcome.

DaFireMedic and SC200SC like this.
  4. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Agreed, did Helton ask the conference for clarification on the call? I realize they were not Pac 12 refs

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    Coaches/schools always send in plays they’d like clarification on. I never heard if USC specifically did that, but I’d imagine that one went in with a few of the uncalled holding penalties against the offensive line.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    I would love it if you would let us know if there is a response

7. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    There were a few other bad calls against USC as well. I still blame the loss on our inability to pass or run with consistency, turnovers, inability to contain Wilson, and a host of other things. But the refs did a poor job in that game and quite possibly affected the outcome.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    With respect to one of the questions about the spread, USC was favored by 4, not BYU. Strange as it seems, the team with points shown as a negative number is the favorite.

9. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    "gubo&palanka

• Q: I thought one of the advantages of the Air Raid was running more plays and doing it quickly
    Why is the offense at the line of scrimmage staring at the sidelines? There was some speculation it was
    because Clay was changing Harrell’s play call. In any case, it looks like last year’s offense.

• A: I don’t believe that Helton is changing the play call. My read on that was that they wanted to get the defense set and then get a play call sent down for the offense to run. I do agree that it feels odd for coaches to say that they want to get 85-90 plays off and go fast all the time, and then have stretches where they’re slowing down that much. But they were also dealing with a true freshman quarterback in his first road game, so working a little more deliberately on occasion could be understandable.
    • Q: If the defense drops 8 and takes away the short routes, why didn’t we try some double moves and go deep — presumably to grass — with St Brown or Jones?
    • A: I’m not sure why there was some hesitancy to take some deep shots. Obviously the deep ball to Erik Krommenhoek was a busted coverage by BYU, but you can’t force those kinds of mistakes without taking your shots. We saw what happened when they threw one up for Pittman for the touchdown, and went deep to him again late, when he got flagged for a ludicrous offensive pass interference call."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A response to both questions from a coaching perspective:

Q: I thought one of the advantages of the Air Raid was running more plays and doing it quickly?

Why is the offense at the line of scrimmage staring at the sidelines? There was some speculation it was because Clay was changing Harrell’s play call. In any case, it looks like last year’s offense.

The 85-90 Offensive Plays is the IDEAL/GOAL in this offense. But, their are several key points that will INFLUENCE the total number of plays for any offense:

• # of Turnovers by the offense. If the Offense is TURNING the ball over, they're not getting to the next play, thereby limiting opportunities.
    • # of Punts. If the Offense has to PUNT, their number of plays are limited.
    • # of Points scored by the Offense. If the Offense SCORES, then the ball goes over to the opponent...depending on the length of the drive, the number of TOTAL plays may be affected.
    • Length of TIME the opponents Offense has the ball...scoring or not.
    At the end of the game...the number of Total Plays RUN is really LESS important than the number of POINTS scored...I hear you...DUH...but, that is the truth. The 85-90 Offensive Plays number is a GOAL/IDEAL.

Heres some DATA to chew on:

vs. FSU:

• 1st Half (mainly JT Daniels at QB) - 50 Offensive Plays: Drive 1: 13 plays /result - TD, Drive 2: 5/TD, Drive 3: 3/Punt, Drive 4: 8/FG, Drive 5: 3/Punt, Drive 6: 8/INT, Drive 7: 11/Fum.
    • 2nd Half (Kedon Slovis at QB) - 28 Offensive Plays: Drive 1: 4/Fum, Drive 2: 6/TD, Drive 3: 1/INT, Drive 4: Punt, Drive 5: 9/Downs, Drive 6: 5/End.
    • Observation - With an experienced QB, a significant number of plays were run OVER the expected average for the 1st Half of play. Success, play selection, and aggressiveness reflected use of a "ROOKIE" QB the remainder of the game.
    vs. Stanford:
    • 1st Half (First collegiate Start for K. Slovis) - 37 Offensive Plays: Drive 1: 12/FG, Drive 2: 5/Punt, Drive 3: 6/TD, Drive 4: 7/TD, Drive 5: 7/TD.
    • 2nd Half - 25 Offensive Plays: Drive 1: 3/Punt, Drive 2: 7/TD, Drive 3: 7/TD, Drive 4: 4/TD, Drive 5: 4/End.
    • Observation - Tempo and play selection altered TOTAL number of plays called. As well, STANFORD Offensive style impacted Time of Possession coupled with how QUICKLY USC's Offense scored on a number of drives. With a win like the Stanford VICTORY, total number of plays becomes unimportant and fairly irrelevant.
    vs. BYU:
    • 1st Half (First ROAD Start for K. Slovis) - 41 Offensive Plays: Drive 1: 10/TD, Drive 2: 3/INT, Drive 3: 3 INT, Drive 4: 9/FG, Drive 5: 11/TD, Drive 6: 5/P.
    • 2nd Half - 37 Offensive Plays: Drive 1: 3/Punt, Drive 2: 4/Punt, Drive 3: 13/TD, Drive 4: 3/Punt, Drive 5: 11/FG, Drive 5: 3/End.
    • OT - 3 Offensive Plays: Drive 1: 3/INT.
    • Observation - This game was ALL about an inexperienced QB on the road and the EARLY mistakes he made that CHANGED the process of the game...even IF the early Offense had sputtered and Punted but used additional plays and CLOCK instead of TURNOVERS in/near the BYU Red Zone, the outcome would have been different. One cannot quantify the gravity of difficulty a Team faces when attempting to OVERCOME Red Zone turnovers on the Road!

Q: If the defense drops 8 and takes away the short routes, why didn’t we try some double moves and go deep — presumably to grass — with St Brown or Jones?

Simple and QUICK response...once "ROOKIE" QB had thrown two, Two, TWO...INTs in consecutive series, it became understandable for me that the GAME PLAN changed to try and limit a 3rd INT...and, it appeared to have worked, to a degree...until the fateful decision was made in OT.

Tonight, OPPORTUNITY knocks...let's hope USC Football is READY to answer the door to a VICTORY!

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

gubo&palanka likes this.