WeAreSC Mailbag

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 5, 2019.

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 5, 2019
    Lots of questions. I gave some answers, but overall, I still think there's a lot of "we'll see" regarding this team this year.

3. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Erik,
    Curiosity question. With Jack Sears in the portal or any player for that matter, must they remove themselves from all team activities or can they continue to practice and be a part of the team while being in the portal? I’d think that since Jack graduates after this semester, he’d want to stay sharp and who knows, he may have gotten an opportunity to play this season as we never know who is going to get hurt or under perform....

Pudly76 likes this.
  4. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Sep 5, 2019
    It’s completely up to each coach. Some coaches immediately dismiss a player once they go into the portal. Clay Helton obviously doesn’t go that route, as he’s allowed multiple players back on the team after they’ve gone into the portal.

Sears said in his transfer statement that he would continue to work out and train this semester, so he isn’t completely away from football.

5. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Following up on Poobah's question. You've seen Griffith's boom punts in practice. And you note that posting zero punt return yards is important to the coaches. During practice, was there a problem covering the punts that Griffiths boomed? Enough of a problem for the coaches to say "don't bother kicking it 60 yards – just kick it 37 so our guys can have a cup of coffee waiting for it to come down"?

6. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Sep 5, 2019
    I don't remember ever seeing them run a full punt coverage drill where the punter is kicking. It's usually shot out of a JUGS maching.

Pudly76 likes this.
  7. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    "A: Griffiths was celebrating after forcing the fair catches and the coaches had no issues with his performance, which means he’s doing exactly what the coaches ask him to do. I would love to see him let loose against Stanford, but we’ve seen and heard how important posting that zero punt return yards allowed stat is to the USC coaches. So until we see differently in a game, you might just have to take our word for it with what we’ve seen in practice."

I wish a USC football coach, any of them, would say something that makes sense. What is the difference between booming 48 yard punts with 10 yard returns and having the returners fair catch the ball 38 yards downfield? The net is exactly the same. It does give the returning team a chance to take it to the house, but it doesn't give the bigger, stronger, more athletic team a chance to stick the returner and cause a fumble or fire up the defense with a big hit.

There is zero reason to waste a scholarship on a punter who can kick the ball high and get 36-38 yards of distance.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    gubo&palanka, Thunderpunch and Cyrus like this.
  8. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    You can say "you know nothing Jim Steele", but is that normal? Do they not want the punter to get used to punting in the face of a rush? And for the coverage team to get used to punts not necessarily going where or how far they expect? Seems like it would be a good idea for the coverage team to practice against a booming punt, a shanked punt, a punt where the punter runs sideways for awhile, etc.

gubo&palanka, Troy70 and Cyrus like this.
  9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Helton seems to have an aversion to game type practices , whether it’s full tackling or punting. He obviously doesn’t believe that practices should be harder than games. That is one of the main reasons we will be always a mediocre team under him.

gubo&palanka, Troy70 and GoSC1 like this.
  10. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Sep 5, 2019
    They worked on special teams so much that they might have done this, but I honestly can't remember it. There were several practices that were completely closed to the media, however, and then we've been only able to watch the first 20 minutes of practice since the fall showcase.

11. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    If you don't remember it, it didn't happen!

12. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Upon entering the portal and not attending team activities, do they still get everything what a scholarship athlete would receive (housing, meals ect.)? Or do they pay out of their pocket once they quit the team?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Sep 5, 2019
    That's a good question and I'm not sure of the answer. I'll see if I can find out.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. BeatND2019

BeatND2019 Points Member

Sep 5, 2019
    The university has the option to cancel the scholarship at the end of the semester in which a student - athlete enters the transfer portal. Assuming this semester had commenced prior to Sears entering the portal he would receive room, board, and tuition this semester.

15. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 5, 2019
    But he pretty much quit the team and stopped going to team activities. If he’s receiving all the benefits he should be forced to participate with the team?