WeAreSC Mailbag: Spring ball, recruiting and quarterbacks

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Apr 16, 2021.

2. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Whoop, whoop!!! Good stuff.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. TrojanRider4Life

TrojanRider4Life Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Thanks Erik! Should have ask also: Has Korey Foreman been at any Spring practices for see how things are progressing?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Apr 16, 2021
    No. I'm not actually sure what the NCAA rules are regarding those signees and whether they can be on campus right now. Presumably there are different rules regarding signees than typical recruits, but there haven't been any spectators on the sidelines this spring, so USC might just have that blanket rule and nobody is allowed in right now.

5. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Agree. Thanks Erik!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Wow only 1 LB making a visit in June and they are in desperate need in that position. Orlando needs to get the ball rolling!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Erik, you commented that you don’t think Clay has to win the Pac 12 title to keep his job, so what do you think is the floor for him to finally be fired? How in the world could someone who has only one conference championship, 5 years removed, be retained for their 7th year as head coach at a school like USC? Are the good times really over for good...?

8. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Great stuff Erik! That’s a lot of legwork to answer all the questions in the mailbag. If I do remember correctly, I thought JT Daniels was at spring practices after committing to USC, but he had to stay in school for spring classes because he accelerated his graduation. I remember that being a weird scenario as he was precariously taking notes. He also had access to the playbook. I know COVID could have changed all the protocols, but I clearly remember Daniels being at spring practices.
    Fight On!

9. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Apr 17, 2021
    Oh signees and recruits typically have no issue being at spring practice. They can come to all of them. But with right now being a dead period, which it never is during spring ball, combined with USC's covid protocols, I'm not sure if signees are allowed at spring ball. I'd assume they would be there if they could.

10. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Apr 17, 2021
    I don't know if there's a specific win/loss number. But the line being Pac-12 championship or else seems high at this point. I'm not saying it would be unfair and I wouldn't have a problem if it was set there, but it seems high this season given how USC has approached the whole situation and Helton's status there. You can win a lot of games but lose out on a tiebreaker to make the game, or go to the championship game and lose a close one and still have it be considered a good season. But missing out on a bowl game or 5/6 losses might be too much to keep moving forward.

USCSAE likes this.
  11. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Thank you for the response Erik, but my word is that depressing. To think that CH could go 8-4 and be kept on for this 7th year, makes my Trojan funk even harder to break out of. I just cannot get excited about the team or the season. Such a shame. Thank you for all the work and giving us a place to talk, or in a lot of cases, mourn together.

in2nation and gubo&palanka like this.
  12. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Apr 17, 2021
    It's tough right now to give an exact response as to how the administration will feel in eight months without seeing anything on the field yet. I don't believe they are looking for reasons to get rid of him and move on. But I also think (hope?) they do understand the reality of the situation and aren't going to be satisfied with a season that doesn't show clear improvement.

gubo&palanka likes this.